1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

All to often, I see a pic of a vintage watch with a brand new croc or leather band that looks so out of place, no patina.
    A strap with a matte finish will go a long way to mitigate that incongruity.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Geneve line in its initial iteration was the highest end line of Omega, if I recall.

There was also an obscure line called the Tresor which was also quite high-end.

3. Omegablogger

Omegablogger Senior member

Here is a little example, top left is a vintage crocodile [or alligator I forget], bottom left Omega's modern leather lookalike, top right vintage alligator lizard, and finally a cheap fake lizard imprint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Don Goldstein

Don Goldstein Senior member

Yes 100%. Almost more by accident by design, I like to find the sweet spot of quality and value and Omega hits that for me. They have some great designs and styles particularly vintage, I think vintage can be a minefield so sticking with one brand makes it less likely that you will buy too many lemons.

This a bit of Schedoni leather with a few surprises inside;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where did you get that case? It looks perfect for storing a lot of watches.

5. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

Hi Gunnar, It's a model 15202. The bracelet is all steel; there is no gold in it. All the best, - Jeff

Thank you very much, I really consider buying it.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sticking to the spirit of the thread (i.e. showing pictures of your own watches), here is my 1972 Omega Speedy Pro
    [​IMG]

8. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

My PAM 183 #G002/1500. That makes this watch the second produced in its first and only year of production with this dial layout. I don't think that does anything to the value, but it's interesting. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Sticking to the spirit of the thread (i.e. showing pictures of your own watches),

That'll get tiresome.

10. gdl203

That'll get tiresome.

I've got a few more to keep it going for a while. I'm sure others do too

11. gdl203

My PAM 183 #G002/1500. That makes this watch the second produced in its first and only year of production with this dial layout. I don't think that does anything to the value, but it's interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thurston - interesting serial # considering that #1 is generally reserved for a "friend" of the company. My PAM115's serial number is 115/200 which I also find interesting but doesn't add to the value either

12. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

I'll help. My favorite watch. I probably wear it more than any other. IWC 5441 Jubilee Portugesier. I drove from Philadelphia to Princeton in a snowstorm to meet a guy from Brooklyn at a train station to collect this watch.

[​IMG]

It's the Levi's Port, #501/1000
    [​IMG]

13. gdl203

Thurston - I don't know if I'm the only one but I cannot see the pictures you posted today. The server you are using is blocked by my company firewall! [​IMG]

14. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Thurston - interesting serial # considering that #1 is generally reserved for a "friend" of the company. My PAM115's serial number is 115/200 which I also find interesting but doesn't add to the value either

I bought it a few months after it came out from another collector in the DC area. He's nobody special, just a guy who buys too many watches he can't really afford and then sells them after a few weeks. This one originated at one of the Boutiques in Italy, I can't recall which at the moment. My PAM Zero is milesimation #5, not from the first year though. I like it because it's my birthday. I bought that one from Chad in BH.

15. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Thurston - I don't know if I'm the only one but I cannot see the pictures you posted today. The server you are using is blocked by my company firewall! [​IMG]

That's strange, my host is comcast and my pics aren't password protected.

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I'll help. My favorite watch. I probably wear it more than any other. IWC 5441 Jubilee Portugesier. I drove from Philadelphia to Princeton in a snowstorm to meet a guy from Brooklyn at a train station to collect this watch.

[​IMG]

It's the Levi's Port, #501/1000
    [​IMG]

Beautiful watch and strap!

17. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Beautiful watch and strap!
    Thank you. The strap is from the wg/ardiose dialed Portugese Auto 5001. I ordered it through my dealer and rejected the first specimen as too 'flat'. I really wanted that reddish cast. Edit: So my pics are obviously visible to you. Sorry gdl.

18. gdl203

Edit: So my pics are obviously visible to you. Sorry gdl.
    damn! [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Question: What smaller size 35mm watches available from Panerai or other manufacturer? I am asking because I like Panerai's retro shape. Unfortunately Panerai are too large for my wrist.
    Second question is : Why so many fakes or repros of Panerai? Is it becoming Rolex of 90s?

20. gdl203

Question: What smaller size 35mm watches available from Panerai or other manufacturer? I am asking because I like Panerai's retro shape. Unfortunately Panerai are too large for my wrist.
    There are no Panerai watches below 40mm. Which style are you interested in? Luminor (with the crown guard) or Radiomir (cushion shape)?

Several reasons but the three main ones IMO are
    (1) popularity of the design yet expensive price point (similar to Rolex sub in that regard)
    (2) limited production levels so difficult to find the models one wants at a dealer (specifically the most classic ones)
    (3) For most of its models, Panerai is using ETA and Valjoux movements with modifications generally limited to decorations and a couple more things (e.g. swan neck regulator). ETA movements are easy to procure so making a fake with a movement which looks very similar to the OP movement is not that hard. In addition, fake ETA movements are now made as well, which makes it even easier.

Reason #3 is one of the primary reasons why OP has started rolling out its own manufacture movements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.