• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is off-thread, but I've got a suspicion some of the TWATerati might have an opinion.

I'm going to need a raincoat (or "Mac" as I'm told they are called here) and I can see only two options: Burberry and Aquascutum ("Heritage" and "Corby").

I don't have any direct experience with Aquascutum, but I've got a Burberry trenchcoat that I've been wearing for the past 10 or 11 years, and it's still in fantastic shape.

The leather buckles have darkened a bit as I put some leather conditioner on them very occasionally so that they don't dry out, as I've heard that the leather can dry and crack over time.

Quite simply, it's a great trench-coat and is well deserving of its reputation. It's just a pity that Burberry makes so much other rubbish.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But that's just it. They are a paid marketing vehicle for the brands. Not a serious editorial site. But they hold themselves out as the latter.
I think most readers are hip to the spiel and are primarily interested in viewing the photos.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Very nice, but Mr Hadfield seems to be wearing his watch awfully loose - maybe it's a zero-g thing...

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a dress casual watch to 'pair' or complement my recently aquired BLNR; one that will be worn to work on a brown gator strap (most of my shoes are brown). I'd prefer a watch that is available w/ a bracelet but won't exclude a watch w/o one. I stopped by my local AD to try on the Tank MC, Tank Anglaise XL, & Calibre de Cartier. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a smaller 38mm CdC is now available.

I really like the larger 42mm, particulary given how it's available w/ a bracelet. However I'm reluctant to purchase one as I've flipped both of my recent >40mm watches (my Polar Exp II & my Speedy 9300). I was actually impressed at how the 38mm wore more similar to a 40mm watch.'

I'd like to hear thoughts from others!

Tank MC:

attachment.php

Calibre de Cartier 42mm

attachment.php

Calibre de Cartier 38mm

attachment.php

Dachshund

Reaction score

I know this is off-thread, but I've got a suspicion some of the TWATerati might have an opinion.

I'm going to need a raincoat (or "Mac" as I'm told they are called here) and I can see only two options: Burberry and Aquascutum ("Heritage" and "Corby").

I tried both on today and like each one. Feeling indecisive. I'll spare you all the long pros and cons list. Anyone care to render an opinion? Perhaps someone who's given either one the test of time?

I've had an Aquascutum for 12+ years. Really well made, but I've fallen out of love a bit with the boxy cut, and I've lost weight, so I haven't worn it for a couple of seasons. Look at them carefully though - the brand has changed hands since I last shopped there and I don't think they are what they used to be.

Consider also Mackintosh, maybe somewhere like Gieves + Hawkes, or some of the SR tailors will do these off the peg. I have no experience of Burbs.

I got a lovely one from Kilgour a couple of years ago, but it may have been a one-off.

My three tips for macs - (1) be careful with the cut. Depending on your build they can be quite boxy if you are slim: (2) consider a colour other than the traditional tan - eg dark blue. The light tan picks up muck from the tube, etc in no time at all; and (3) if you go DB, take one final look at yourself before you buy it to check you don't look like Inspector Gadget.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stutterheim and Norwegian Rain both have nice ones as well and they are waterproof, not water resistant like macs.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried both on today and like each one. Feeling indecisive. I'll spare you all the long pros and cons list. Anyone care to render an opinion? Perhaps someone who's given either one the test of time?

Summer's on its way you could just use an umbrella. Living in London I survive with and umbrella and overcoat in town and have never had a raincoat though I do have some Berghaus and SOS waterproof jackets for sports etc..

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice gents. Clearly I've got an enjoyable hunt on my hands. I've got a basic waxed cotton long coat and a Goretex packable jacket. But nothing waterproof that I can throw over a suit. Lucky indeed that it is summer.

I made a little pit stop this morning. I'll have to organize my photos. But here's a taste of things to come.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Awesome - is that the PP exhibition? I've been meaning to go.

Does that one wear quite slim on the wrist?

PS: I'm glad to see "but nothing waterproof that I can throw over a suit", and I'd expect no less from a gentleman like you, but Jesus I see some sights, particularly on my commuter train. Guys in terrible suits wearing a North Face jacket or similar. Usually with a rucksack too, which is my #1 pet hate - rucksack with suit. What's that about? Is this just something we are guilty of in London, or is it a worldwide curse?

Last edited:

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. The exhibition is much more than a room full of old watches. I spent three hours in there and ultimately had to pass by a number of exhibits due to sheer information/pleasure overload.

Many pieces were brought out of Patek's own museum in Geneva for the first time ever, in celebration of their 175th anniversary.

A favorite item was the gilded singing bird (automaton) box. Apparently, great watchmakers have got up to a bit more than just fancy movements over the years. It was interesting to see some of the anachronistic treasures of which little has been written or "memed" about on the interwebs.

While I was waiting in line to see the Grandmaster Chime (assembly time 730 days, MSRP $2.5m) up close, one woman asked one of the attendants if "that is even better than a Rolex?"

The attendant didn't know where to begin...

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But that's just it. They are a paid marketing vehicle for the brands. Not a serious editorial site. But they hold themselves out as the latter.

I find that Hodinkee's original content can be excellent, but I wish they'd lay off the fluff pieces — not only the advertorials about new watches, but also the constant hyping of auctions. The big houses have a strong presence in the watch industry and media. It's overt in some cases, such as scandal-plagued Antiquorum owning the heavily-moderated Timezone site. However, Hodinkee's enthusiastic cheerleading can make it seem that there's less-obvious and possibly insidious influence happening as well.

Conincidentally, they've just announced Jack Forster's appointment as managing editor; the same one who not so long ago lamented the toothless state of watch journalism. It would be good to see examples of his stated belief that there's a need for informed critique that isn't compromised by sponsors.

Last edited:

geoloop

Reaction score
While I was waiting in line to see the Grandmaster Chime (assembly time 730 days, MSRP $2.5m) up close, one woman asked one of the attendants if "that is even better than a Rolex?"

The attendant didn't know where to begin...

No Crown No care

#SWAG #THUGLIFE #PPWHO? #BLINGBLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8