• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TWAT friends. I have been thinking lately... is it time that we switch our TWAT princess?
I was unaware that Kate Upton held that honor here. I vote for a change as she does absolutely nothing for my libido. I would nominate Eva Green, that is, if breasts are the primary qualifying attribute.

:embar:

I support Eva Green as TWAT Princess if a change needs to be made. She is an incredibly lovely woman - and a ferocious actress.

udamaheq.jpg

As for the celebrity nudes leak... Words of wisdom here from Ms Green herself:

sedyquda.jpg

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahah very very nice as always dddrees.

Now, speaking of another SeaDweller.....

edevara8.jpg

I do not want to like this watch. It is horribly overengineered. Aesthetically its proportions should cause feelings of revulsion in me. The majority of my watch aficionado friends consistently advice me to stay away from it. It is not a TWAT-approved watch by any means.

And yet, I love her.
biggrin.gif

We luv what we luv, and ultimately who gives a cr@p what anybody else thinks.

I Luv the fact that it's over engineered.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We luv what we luv, and ultimately who gives a cr@p what anybody else thinks.

I Luv the fact that it's over engineered.

Yup. It's what it stands for - pushing the limits, the extreme. Have written lengthy passages about what the DSSD means to me so I will spare TWAT my ruminations - but, I love it. I swing very easily from my 36mm's to this 44mm beast, although I wouldn't wear it with a suit. Just because it doesn't fit under the cuff of any of my shirts! Hahahah.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I support Eva Green as TWAT Princess if a change needs to be made. She is an incredibly lovely woman - and a ferocious actress.
I vote against that change. If you guys want to change the princess no problem, but I'm not a fan of Eva Green. I thought she was one of the least attractive Bond girls in recent years.
One of those perfect combos if you ask me.. EG Galway Heather Gorse and Red Sub. Craftsmanship of both of these are beyond compare. Both are built tough, one of which is water proof, and one of which is highly water resistant. But more importantly they both have a bit of red in them.LOL

I may need to get a different strap but for now this will do.

Great combination! I love the texture of the skins used on those Galways!

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sizing the other DSSD for your wife Frilly? Congrats on the newest one!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the new TWAT princess, I think there has to be a pic of said woman with a TWAT approved time piece.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I love her.
biggrin.gif

I confess that dial is a lot more attractive in your pic. This is quite something - we're definitely out of kopping season for you, but now you're into steel sports watches instead of precious Patek complications, I guess we can look forward to more frequent vicarious indulgence. Go Frilly! I would like to add that I predicted this diver-fest, and also that one day you will have a Panerai. Either way, you keep bringing the meat to this thread.
lurker[1].gif

breasts are the primary qualifying attribute.

Breasts are for babies. I am also unmoved by the pneumatic Ms Upton. But I don't know who yours is either. Anyway, perhaps as gentlemen we can respond to the misogynistic horrors of the last couple of internet days by raising our standards a little. I'd be quite happy to look at watches, really. Here are some now, with an exam question:

"The TWATterati have expressed disapproval of the modern IWC range for several reasons, and even the popular Portuguese range has faced criticism. Discuss why."

The case shape of the (top) Portuguese chrono is awkward - wider at the dial than at the back, and as a result, slopes to catch your shirt sleeve and wedge it underneath, so it looks like you're showing your watch off. The "classic" case, shown on the second and third watch, is larger and thicker but a softer shape. Neither of these things probably has any relation to IWC's status in TWAT. They are just practical things I noticed when looking at some.

The latter two watches also have the "newer in-house movements", allegedly. I've heard various bones of contention about IWC, including suggestions of dishonesty about how "in house" they really are. I'd like to know more about that from the more advanced creatures here.

But for my part as a simple tyre-kicking caveman, I say this: that awkwardly-shaped chrono above is still very beautiful and distinctive to me, and I would rather like one. Is this wrong?

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote against that change. If you guys want to change the princess no problem, but I'm not a fan of Eva Green. I thought she was one of the least attractive Bond girls in recent years.
Great combination! I love the texture of the skins used on those Galways!
Thanks Dino. It's called Zug by most and Heather Gorse by Edward Green. It's a fairly thick, waxy , and pretty water resistant leather. It's a leather Edward Green used to use but no longer offers but a few of us were lucky enough to get recently. It's on the other end of the spectrum from the other two Galways that I have. Those are extremely casual and this is a real tough country boot.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now a bigger fran of Kate than I ever was. I mean, from what I have, erm, heard.

Also, we just bought a DJII, encrusted with a monster dia bezel. Do not like, but business is business.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dad is sending me my Great Grandfathers gold pocket watch. My G Grandfather was an industrial magnate so I have fantasies about it being a patek or Vacheron. Watch is probably from the 20s, I am told its quite large so this makes me think its nothing special.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I am now a bigger fran of Kate than I ever was. I mean, from what I have, erm, heard.

Also, we just bought a DJII, encrusted with a monster dia bezel. Do not like, but business is business.

Interesting juxtaposition. I think I see both of them in a similar light.

My Dad is sending me my Great Grandfathers gold pocket watch. My G Grandfather was an industrial magnate so I have fantasies about it being a patek or Vacheron. Watch is probably from the 20s, I am told its quite large so this makes me think its nothing special.
I would say having a gold pocket watch from the 20s with an interesting family history, was special enough. Please share pics. :)

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The more "real" pics of Kate show that she's not a 10 by celebrity standards, but still someone who'll get plenty of attention if you met her in real life.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I don't have substantative words to participate in mimo's case (hehe) study, so I decided to take a picture instead

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I suspect that is true of most "10s by celebrity standards".

Here is another watch:

I like the retro simplicity of this, and the unusual not-quite-black dial really sets it off. I do rather wish they'd left it a bit smaller though. It's by no means huge by diver standards, but making it such a "modern" size takes something away from what it could have been imho: it's not quite consonant with the simplicity of everything else. Maybe that makes a good case for the original - they're around for about the same price.

Edit: Looking good, @HRoi ! How do you find the sleeve thing I mentioned?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino. It's called Zug by most and Heather Gorse by Edward Green. It's a fairly thick, waxy , and pretty water resistant leather. It's a leather Edward Green used to use but no longer offers but a few of us were lucky enough to get recently. It's on the other end of the spectrum from the other two Galways that I have. Those are extremely casual and this is a real tough country boot.
Its simply a magnificent leather. A real shame they are no longer offering it. I love textured leathers, they wear well and and so versatile. Wear them in good health my friend.

Whatever it is, I look forward to seeing pix of it soon. I'm sure if it could talk it would have some interesting stories after nearly 100 years of use.

I suspect that is true of most "10s by celebrity standards".

Here is another watch:

I like the retro simplicity of this, and the unusual not-quite-black dial really sets it off. I do rather wish they'd left it a bit smaller though. It's by no means huge by diver standards, but making it such a "modern" size takes something away from what it could have been imho: it's not quite consonant with the simplicity of everything else. Maybe that makes a good case for the original - they're around for about the same price.
BP makes a really good watch, but they just aren't something I'd pull the trigger on. I've tried on a few versions of the 50 Fathoms, and I always come away thinking for that amount of $$$ there are other watches I'd rather own. That, and I find them (particularly the one above), a bit stodgy and boring. I don't have any AD's near me now, but years ago when I did they couldn't give them away...you could buy it new from an AD with a 40% discount. They just aren't my thing, but they do make a good watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads