1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Loved the Only Watch, but this one doesn't do it for me.

So apparently, it's the snowflakes?

I know that's one of the (more visible) features, something that clearly separates the Tudor from a Rolex Sub, amongst others... but I guess it's just one of those matters of the heart.

Much preferred the straight hands on the Only Watch.

However, this version will sell like proverbial hotcakes, methinks.

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

No disagreement here. My point is that a watch has to be more than just initally-polarizing and unpopular to become collectible; very few of them have stood the test of time. I don't think the "older, uglier = more valuable" thing is true; it seems to be quite the opposite. Despite having a 116520, I have no problem saying that older Daytonæ look better than new ones.

There are other factors that influence rarity — no doubt the original Daytona would have been much more successful if it was self-winding, and the RO would have been a better seller if quartz hadn't just arrived on the scene — but the watch still has to look good to enough collectors in the future to become valuable. There are plenty of unattractive watches that are rare for good reason, and they ain't worth much now.
    :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 [​IMG]

Agree completely on those points. There is certainly no shortage of rare, ugly watches that are not worth very much. Cheers!

4. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Indeed, I really don't get Ball. Though I find essentially nothing appealing about them, I suppose somebody must be buying the things if they're still in business.

5. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I believe there is a LE green version as well. I think it's a London boutique issue.

6. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

I think that might be the version that had a iffy engraving on the back. I like the 378858J variant better, the duoface ultra-thin bleu...or, the 'bleuface.'
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

I like that one too. There's also a brown dial/gold case.

8. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Oh, I like this much better than the Only Watch. Snowflakes for sure and the lumes look a bit lighter. Anyway, different strokes... One thing I don't like on either one though is the red triangle at the top of the bezel. Definitely like the Black Bay though.

Yes, I saw that after I asked. Looks nice. However the one Reverso I like the most is this one:

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ruminations-photo-essay-the-jaeger-lecoultre-grande-reverso

I also like the standard 1931 thin they have right now.

9. kimmo

kimmo Senior member

And to be completely fair towards JLC, I received yesterday a call from their Netherlands HQ and we went through my whole customer experience, including my warranty concerns. They readily accepted that my experience wasn't on par with their targets, so points to them.

1 person likes this.
  10. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

+1

It will be the Belligero design with the exquisite typography that will win out in the end. Though perhaps the odd one with the second line in blue will be the one that breaks the auction records.:)

1 person likes this.
  11. tricky

tricky Senior member

Never know what the future holds but I've been eyeing this for my next for a while, and I don't own a dress watch. Would be on brown strap though.

[​IMG]

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Collectors are funny that way.

I still don't get why they get so jacked about steel for vintage Pateks, though. More common though it may be, I'll take mine in platinum, thank you very much. ;)

13. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I've just read in an interview in the latest Calibre magazine that JLC are consolidating the Reverso range down to 6 cases from a current 20+. I wonder which ones will be the stayers? Perhaps this is the end of the line for the Squadra.

Edit - I just checked the interview with Daniel Riedo and he actually quoted a reduction of 50! to 6.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  14. tricky

tricky Senior member

That's interesting @culverwood - I'm curious to find out.

I don't know how I've never seen this but there's a limited Italian edition Reverso - 150 pieces released in 2011 with a R where the 8 goes.

My daughter (aka the love of my life) was born in 2011 and her name begins with R. I feel incredibly compelled to find one of these...must have piece confirmed.

http://hoodinkee-beta.squarespace.c...ounces-a-master-ultra-thin-reverso-limit.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

Spurred on by all the Reverso talk, I saw that J C Randell retired a few months ago--who's the best out there now? Unfortunately missed out on having him do it. I'd prefer an artisan over sending it to Le Sentier.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1 [​IMG]
    Yes, funny how they go crazy for the "Rarer" steel ones. Same thing happens with the very small run steel Lange 1s from the mid/late 90s.

I'd also go for the "More common" platinum models!

Wow, sad to hear that. Those will be some big shoes to fill !!!

17. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

As an appreciator of JLC and an owner of a Reverso I maintain the official line that the Squadra does not actually exist.

3 people like this.
  18. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

I don't think I ever had a Squadra on my wrist.

Stitchy had one that he really liked (but sold or traded it I think, when he got his RO) ... but I can't recall many of them being posted here.

For kicks, here's my Grande Reverso Ultra Thin:

[​IMG]

Not yet engraved, but I think I will get a family monogram of some sort, eventually.

Or maybe gift it to my son, with something hyper-meaningful on there.

It's a lot of pressure (!) when I think about it. Took me months to pick the damn watch in the first place :happy:

How in the world does anyone ever decide on a tattoo?!

19. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

I usually just go into the tattoo parlour drunk and tell them to choose.

2 people like this.
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You aren't missing anything! A friend's husband has one and I really dislike its proportions. The rectangular manual wind Reverso is the way to go IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.