• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
That one also looks great on a Bond NATO.
I'm think of throwing the Speedy on a Bond NATO for my upcoming trip to Norway. I'm going to be a ton of hiking and figure it would be a lot more comfortable on a NATO.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew this day would come...able to grab brand new BLNR for 20% off (personal deal since I have a very good connection with my AD). Now, I'm able to move my white face Daytona which I got for 20% off as well to my good friend for the price I paid. I end up with extra 3K in my pocket and brand new BATMAN :satisfied:

What would you do..?

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is ironic or I don't know how to call it. Remeber a few pages ago when I said that an IWC or some other expensive watch could be worth to lose your hand? Well yesterday in the Four Season Hotel in Mexico, a guy received a shot because they tried to stole his watch, he resisted (he didn't knew the guy had a gun), he stiil received the shot and lost the watch.

This is sad.
frown.gif

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/ciuda...isaran-seguridad-en-hoteles-sspdf-123897.html

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew this day would come...able to grab brand new BLNR for 20% off (personal deal since I have a very good connection with my AD). Now, I'm able to move my white face Daytona which I got for 20% off as well to my good friend for the price I paid. I end up with extra 3K in my pocket and brand new BATMAN
satisfied.gif

What would you do..?
I like the Batman a lot, and as I mentioned a few days ago its a serious contender for a future watch purchase. However, I'd only get one in addition to my Daytona. If having one meant I'm selling my Daytona then I'd hold off on the BLNR. Obviously, if you need the $3K back in your pocket well then that is a different story, I suppose at that point you might then be needing more and just sell the Daytona without purchasing the BLNR.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I knew this day would come...able to grab brand new BLNR for 20% off (personal deal since I have a very good connection with my AD). Now, I'm able to move my white face Daytona which I got for 20% off as well to my good friend for the price I paid. I end up with extra 3K in my pocket and brand new BATMAN
satisfied.gif

What would you do..?

Keep the Daytona. I agree with Dino 100%.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Batman a lot, and as I mentioned a few days ago its a serious contender for a future watch purchase.  However, I'd only get one in addition to my Daytona.  If having one meant I'm selling my Daytona then I'd hold off on the BLNR.  Obviously, if you need the $3K back in your pocket well then that is a different story, I suppose at that point you might then be needing more and just sell the Daytona without purchasing the BLNR.    

thanks Dino, I love the Daytona and not looking to sell it but it was a brief thought that I had. I don't have extra funds to purchase BLNR but talked to my friend and he offered to buy it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks Dino, I love the Daytona and not looking to sell it but it was a brief thought that I had. I don't have extra funds to purchase BLNR but talked to my friend and he offered to buy it.
Hi Steel,

I think sometimes the idea of a brand new watch that you haven't owned can be quite tempting. However, I've read posts on other forums (not specifically just Rolex) where people say that once the newness factor that enticed them wore off, even though they got a really nice new watch, the sellers often regretted letting their other watch go. So if you were going to do it, you want to be sure its not simply a newness issue and that you won't regret letting your Daytona go.

Best regards,
Dino

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Steel,

I think sometimes the idea of a brand new watch that you haven't owned can be quite tempting. However, I've read posts on other forums (not specifically just Rolex) where people say that once the newness factor that enticed them wore off, even though they got a really nice new watch, the sellers often regretted letting their other watch go. So if you were going to do it, you want to be sure its not simply a newness issue and that you won't regret letting your Daytona go.

Best regards,
Dino

Great Advice!!!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Dino makes a good point, as usual
2122.png

Building on his concept about novelty being deceptive at times-- I think that as watch enthusiasts, in a perfect world, we would all buy "keepers" and never look back.

But sometimes, circumstances intervene. Financial ones, typically.

Or perhaps we just fancy something else. Possibly new in the literal sense, like an updated watch model.....or possibly just "new to us"... so maybe it could even be a vintage watch, the very opposite of "new".

Personally as an enthusiast, rather than a collector, for me it would probably come down to actual wrist time. Past, present, and future.

There's plenty of sadder things known to man (cue Smokey Robinson) but when great timepieces just sit on shelves and in boxes, unworn.....me, I think that's a minor tragedy.

So.....have you worn the Daytona a lot over the years? If so, there's a reason. You likely would miss it.

Are you currently wearing it much, or has it fallen out of favor, or out of your rotation these days? Then ask yourself why.

And finally, picture yourself in the not too distant future....say 3 years or so....and when you glance down to check the time, which one do you really want to see ticking away?

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Steel,

I think sometimes the idea of a brand new watch that you haven't owned can be quite tempting.  However, I've read posts on other forums (not specifically just Rolex) where people say that once the newness factor that enticed them wore off, even though they got a really nice new watch, the sellers often regretted letting their other watch go.  So if you were going to do it, you want to be sure its not simply a newness issue and that you won't regret letting your Daytona go.

Best regards,
Dino

Great Advice!!!

Dino makes a good point, as usual
2122.png

Building on his concept about novelty being deceptive at times-- I think that as watch enthusiasts, in a perfect world, we would all buy "keepers" and never look back.

But sometimes, circumstances intervene. Financial ones, typically.

Or perhaps we just fancy something else. Possibly new in the literal sense, like an updated watch model.....or possibly just "new to us"... so maybe it could even be a vintage watch, the very opposite of "new".

Personally as an enthusiast, rather than a collector, for me it would probably come down to actual wrist time. Past, present, and future.

There's plenty of sadder things known to man (cue Smokey Robinson) but when great timepieces just sit on shelves and in boxes, unworn.....me, I think that's a minor tragedy.

So.....have you worn the Daytona a lot over the years? If so, there's a reason. You likely would miss it.

Are you currently wearing it much, or has it fallen out of favor, or out of your rotation these days? Then ask yourself why.

And finally, picture yourself in the not too distant future....say 3 years or so....and when you glance down to check the time, which one do you really want to see ticking away?

Thank you everyone,

I have some food for thought now. I think Daytona design is timeless. I just got it recently and it would be like trying wo wear a new watch for a few weeks, get your money back and move onto another new piece (BLNR) since I'm getting back what I paid for it. Now, I think I'll keep it for now.

Whew, feels better now gentlemen, thanks for the therapy time :)

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Thank you everyone,

I have some food for thought now. I think Daytona design is timeless. I just got it recently and it would be like trying wo wear a new watch for a few weeks, get your money back and move onto another new piece (BLNR) since I'm getting back what I paid for it. Now, I think I'll keep it for now.

Whew, feels better now gentlemen, thanks for the therapy time
smile.gif

Always remember, if the BLNR is something you want, nothing is stopping you from saving for it down the road. And there is certainly nothing wrong with having both in your collection.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whew, feels better now gentlemen, thanks for the therapy time :)

Well it seems like you have made up your mind, but . . . have you tried on the BLNR? It has a lot of wrist presence and feels a bit more substantial than the Daytona IMHO. If I were choosing between the two (and I had a white Daytona for several years) I'd go with the BLNR. It would be very easy to replace the Daytona should you ever change your mind . . . :)

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well it seems like you have made up your mind, but . . . have you tried on the BLNR? It has a lot of wrist presence and feels a bit more substantial than the Daytona IMHO. If I were choosing between the two (and I had a white Daytona for several years) I'd go with the BLNR. It would be very easy to replace the Daytona should you ever change your mind . . . :)

Hi TC,

Yes, I have tried BLNR multiple times. I like it but would be happy with it as a second watch. I feel like Daytona can be dressed up and down and just feels amazing on the wrist. I think it's class a bit above GMT. Nevertheless, BLNR is very classic two tone Rolex that will do great as history already shown (Coke/Pepsi).

cheers

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this probably won't help Steel28's cause with the whole new watch thing and all, but... How do they say it on other forums?

"Incoming..."

4y6unuve.jpg

Wrist pics tomorrow morning EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads