• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, this probably won't help Steel28's cause with the whole new watch thing and all, but... How do they say it on other forums?

"Incoming..."

4y6unuve.jpg

Wrist pics tomorrow morning EST.

hahaha, nice one Frilly! Congrats on the sweet SDc!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be very easy to replace the Daytona should you ever change your mind . . .
smile.gif
None of these are very hard to obtain. The dealer where I saw the BLNR in the showcase, told me if I wanted a fresh one that hadn't been in their showcase they can have one for me in about 6-8 weeks, or if I wanted the SD4000 their first should be arriving in about 6 weeks. The Daytona isn't as tough to get as it was years ago, but it most places it still takes longer to get a steel one than any of the other models. The BLNR is very nice, but IMHO the OP has only had his Daytona a few weeks I think he should give it a bit to time and get to know the watch.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Well, this probably won't help Steel28's cause with the whole new watch thing and all, but... How do they say it on other forums?

"Incoming..."

I knew that was coming...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Incoming..."

Very Nice!!! Can't wait to see wrist pix tomorrow!
lurker[1].gif

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi TC,

Yes, I have tried BLNR multiple times. I like it but would be happy with it as a second watch. I feel like Daytona can be dressed up and down and just feels amazing on the wrist. I think it's class a bit above GMT. Nevertheless, BLNR is very classic two tone Rolex that will do great as history already shown (Coke/Pepsi).

cheers

I agree that the Daytona is more versatile and if the watch is needed for dress up as well that it would be the more suitable of the two.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Frills:

You are a Rolex-kopping-animal. I can't wait to see pics and impressions.

Love,

Newk.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True, true. It's all hopes and dreams at this point. The new SD has outpaced the BLNR in my personal quest... although I've yet to see it in person. I have seen the BLNR though. House first, watch next. :foo:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
If I go back to Rolex, the SD4000 will be the one. House first, watch next for me too.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Frills, any chance you can bring that bad boy around on Thursday for a try on?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
1. Go Frilly!

2. Daytona > BLNR

I really like the BLNR, but if there were only Rolex in the world, it should probably be a Daytona. Or a Sub or SD second.
There's plenty of sadder things known to man (cue Smokey Robinson)

Props simply for the Smokey reference. And for all you kids out there, Smokey Robinson is who Pharrell Williams wishes he was (and also why he's quite good - great choice of inspiration!).

thanks, mang! i scrolled back, but im not sure what i was supposed to notice. lots going on.

IWC sporty sport model?

Unspoilered for your delectation:
Quote: "I never get tired of watching that little thing turning around in its cage" - In Stitches, some time back...

I bumped into a guy from one of the local watch shops over lunch the other day, and he told me I just had to come see the new toys from Roger Dubuis. Personally, I love the Monegasque most, and they don't have any, and the Excaliburs are OK but I prefer the plainer ones. However, I acknowledge that these were worth the visit:

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Double Flying Tourbillon (list price $263,000)

0.jpg

OK, just your everyday double flying tourbillon, a subtle 45mm rose gold skeletonised double flying tourbillon.

But if you really want to be just a little more different, and even bigger - 48mm and a yard thick too:

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Quatuor (list price $495,000)

0.jpg

Four escapements...because...ah let them explain it: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/roger-dubuis-excalibur-quatuor-watch-hands-on/

They're both ridiculous. But I have to confess, that double flying tourbillon...if I were a superyacht-owning big cheese...I could almost..almost imagine wearing it while sipping a Perrier on the upper sun deck at dusk..with Eva Mendes. OK, now my mind is elsewhere.

And in other news, how about this?
Again, a little silly I think: a 46mm tool watch with super complications. But if you do really need to know the date for a hundred years, measure some time, not carry too much weight on your left wrist, avoid magnetism and stick to a mechanical watch all at once, this is your boy:

IWC Ingenieur Perpetual Calendar Chronograph in Titanium Aluminide (list price $49,700)

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Yea, me too! I'll PM you my addy. LOL. At least I'm in NJ....

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahaha, nice one Frilly! Congrats on the sweet SDc!

Thanks, my man. And yeah, as tempting and sweet as the BLNR might be right now I would wait for a bit since the Daytona is so new to the stable. I realize I'm just repeating what others have said here, but there's a reason we like sharing our thoughts and discussions here at TWAT.

I knew that was coming...

I'm not that unpredictable, really, 'no?

Very Nice!!! Can't wait to see wrist pix tomorrow!
lurker%5B1%5D.gif

Count on it! Arriving tomorrow on or before 10:30am EST. Will post pics ASAP.

Dear Frills:

You are a Rolex-kopping-animal. I can't wait to see pics and impressions.

Love,

Newk.

I'll try to post a more detailed review here on TWAT given the other Rolex dive watches I picked up recently. How does it compare, the small but arguably significant differences in case sizes, design, pricing, etc.

But, as for the Rolex-kopping, it is pretty much within the scope of my collecting parameters. The SubC + DSSD will go to my second daughter. The Hulk + SD4000 will go to my eldest daughter. Guess which one has the Devil-may-care bad a** "I'll jump off with both feet into the abyss as long as Dad's holding his arms out" personality, and which one likes color, art, detail, and emerald-toned toys?

I was planning to do exactly that, my friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics