1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

For me it was an old classic today...I just got the new ZZ Top Tres Hombres on vinyl. Unbelievable bass on this one. It's superb.

What are you listening to now or recently?

2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Lately I've been spinning the original cast recording (1995) of Victor/Victoria. Julie Andrews was a Broadway legend before this, but IMO Victor/Victoria is her defining role. A great musical.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Some of it (not including what I play in the car, of course)

[​IMG]

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

my usual playlist consists of 60s soul/motown, 50s R&B, 60s ska, and a good dose of punk/oi/hardcore/indie

today specifically, been listening to The Sounds first album and a mix of Detroit Cobras

5. Artisan Fan

Very nice. [​IMG]

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Freak folk, man. Or New Weird America or naturalismo if you like. I've been heavy into Animal Collective lately.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

Freak folk, man. Or New Weird America or naturalismo if you like. I've been heavy into Animal Collective lately.

8. Edward Appleby

Cool. I've listened to that song dozens of times, but I've never watched the video because I find that music videos tend to detract from my appreciation of songs. I should've known that Animal Collective would be an exception to this rule.

In a lot of ways, Animal Collective is the most free and advanced, if you will, band working today (to my mind at least.) They seem to me to be utterly unafraid in their musicmaking, above any restrictions of genre or traditional songcraft.

9. xchen

xchen Senior member

Rilo Kiley. Saw them in concert on Saturday here in Atlanta and they were amazing. Going back to the same venue in 2 weeks to see Minus the Bear which I expect to be equally amazing.

10. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

Mostly Do Make Say Think and Tom Waits.

11. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

Eluvium
    Sunn O)))
    Low
    Dolorean
    The Cinematic Orchestra
    Caribou

1 person likes this.
  12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I've been listening to KISS the past few days.

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

For some reason, I've been on a Minimalist kick recently: John Adams's Fearful Symmetries, The Chairman Dances, Violin Concerto, and The Dharma at Big Sur. Also, Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde, because I just saw some bootleg video on YouTube of Darcey Bussell's farewell performances of Song of the Earth.

For some reason I feel compelled to listen to Rachmaninov's symphony no. 2 tomorrow.

--Andre

14. Edward Appleby

Rilo Kiley. Saw them in concert on Saturday here in Atlanta and they were amazing. Going back to the same venue in 2 weeks to see Minus the Bear which I expect to be equally amazing.

You might check out Jenny Lewis's solo album, Rabbit Fur Coat, then.

15. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Christie Hennessy - A Year in the Life
    Pooka - Pooka
    Dolly Parton - Treasures
    LaMonte Young - The Well-Tuned Piano
    Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (Maazel/Cleveland/Telarc) You want brass? This is brass!!

[​IMG]
    __

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die (this is what Traffic was supposed to be)
    Bobby Caldwell - Stuck on You (It's true what they say about Sinatra's old studio.)
    Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & the Trinity - Street Noise (ever so smokey on Light My Fire, but on Flesh Failures she makes me want to stand-up and sing along)
    Robbie Basho - Falconer's Arm (Recorded in Fahey's legendy Takoma Studios, Robbie used to play in the meadows at UCSC)
    Jorge Bolet - Live at Carnegie Hall, I was in the audience that night (listen to the Tannheuser transcription)

[​IMG]
    __

I Muvrini - A Bercy (Corsican polyphony like you've never heard!)
    Love - Forever Changes (you had to be there[​IMG] )
    Pharoah Sanders - Elevation (this is definitely late night music)
    Small Faces - First Step (Ron Wood + Rod Stewart having some real fun!)
    South Pacific - London Sessions (Sarah Vaughan, Kiri TeKanawa, Jose Carreras)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

I've really been digging the mix that Diplo did for Pitchfork. Otherwise, I've been in a Belle and Sebastian/Decemberists mood. Presently, I'm listening to Placebo's Without You I'm Nothing.

17. Artisan Fan

I got the new reissue of Sweet Baby James by James Taylor LP. Quite bluesy in spots and Fire and Rain sounds incredible. [​IMG]

18. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Been on a classical kick lately. Listened to the Moonlight Sonata last night a few times. Spectacular piece when played well.

I've also been keeping Captain Dan and the Scurvy Crew's album on repeat for the past week! [​IMG]

19. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Iron and Wine's new one, The Shepherd's Dog.

Into the Wild soundtrack, by Eddie Vedder.

Both top notch.

20. A Y

A Y Senior member

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (Maazel/Cleveland/Telarc) You want brass? This is brass!!

You have to listen to the San Francisco Symphony's DVD of the Rite of Spring available from their online store. The rhythmic work is just on the other side of unbelievable: the little micro syncopations that Michael Tilson Thomas adds, especially at the end, give the performance an inexorable forward momentum without making the work completely brutal or rushed. The brass are pretty fantastic as well, but the orchestral playing in general is inspired.

MTT's also helped Stravinsky debut several of his pieces when they lived in Los Angeles, and is in touch with his own Russian folk heritage, so he gives a fairly unique, personal view of the Rite. There are lots of Russian folk tunes that he brings out in the piece.

It's in Dolby Digital, so the analog frans will turn up their noses, but it is in pretty good multichannel sound.

--Andre