• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RO Dualtime this morning.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes I think so. It's a beauty. It just looked really big in the pic and I wondered if they'd bumped it up to 41mm like the chrono. I prefer the 39mm size I think.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I think so.  It's a beauty.  It just looked really big in the pic and I wondered if they'd bumped it up to 41mm like the chrono.  I prefer the 39mm size I think.

Optical illusion? I don't have very big wrists (6.75") and the ROs wear large. I think 39-40mm is near the upper limit of what I can wear. The only watch I have which is larger is a Omega Planet Ocean (42mm) which sits okay on my wrist...I'm considering replacing it with a slightly smaller diameter diver in the future.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its fantastical!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice. Yeah, I was just curious. If I'm going to spend that much on a watch, I want it to be versatile. And to your point about the current retail price, once I pull the trigger, I'm definitely going the pre-owned route. If you don't mind me asking, when did you buy it?

I wear it in just about any situation except with a suit, as it is fairly tall on the wrist and doesn't fit under my shirt cuff (and I do have my left cuff made larger to accommodate a larger watch).

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:(

yeah, screw yooo guize!!!!

I do think that Panerai have a very distinct design language and identity, which is more than can be said for many mid-tier watch houses, many of whom (especially in the sports chrono and dive watch segments) converge on the generic. Sadly because of my small wrists I don't think I could pull off anything more than 40-42mm. The slimmer manually-wound Radiomirs also I find a bit more flexible, in terms of dressing up or down.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did some tire kicking today. Tried the hesalite speedy on next to my sapphire sandwich. It was nice, but I think I made the right choice. Not sure it really felt all that much "warmer" as so many report, though that could have been due to lack of sunlight.

Then I tried this out, on a whim:

I quite like the Montblanc. Reminds me of JLC Master Calendar, though I suppose this dial/date lay out is fairly canonical for a full calendar.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I quite like the Montblanc. Reminds me of JLC Master Calendar, though I suppose this dial/date lay out is fairly canonical for a full calendar.

I tried on some, Zenith, Longines a few (utterly forgettable) Frederique Constants and that Montblanc. I must say, the Montblanc was the only one that made an impression. I wouldn't call it love at first sight, but it seemed like a lot of watch for $5k and a relatively clean dial for all the complications. The way the blued hands caught the light in person was quite delightful.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Optical illusion? I don't have very big wrists (6.75") and the ROs wear large. I think 39-40mm is near the upper limit of what I can wear. The only watch I have which is larger is a Omega Planet Ocean (42mm) which sits okay on my wrist...I'm considering replacing it with a slightly smaller diameter diver in the future.

Have you tried the liquid metal PO in titanium? I find the steel PO's awkwardly balanced (extremely top heavy), but the LM PO was quite nice and sat quite well. Plus I was a fan of the blue. I've started to look outside Rolex since they changed their case/lugs, and that has been my favorite thus far. Though I may do something different and go for a new to me Overseas 2 instead.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice idea. I do like my PO and it would be a shame to part with it. I have looked at the Tudor Pelagos. If I was willing to spend a bit more I might go for a JLC Deep Sea. I just have a hard time psychologically with the notion of spending lots on dive/tool watches. The classics (i.e. Rolex Submariners, Omega Seamaster/POs, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms) are so ubiquitous and imitated that they've become...common. I know I may be sounding like a snob, but I have a hard time paying lots for a product where the average consumer couldn't tell the difference between a £500 diver from a £5K or £10K diver.

Have you tried the liquid metal PO in titanium? I find the steel PO's awkwardly balanced (extremely top heavy), but the LM PO was quite nice and sat quite well. Plus I was a fan of the blue. I've started to look outside Rolex since they changed their case/lugs, and that has been my favorite thus far. Though I may do something different and go for a new to me Overseas 2 instead.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried on some, Zenith, Longines a few (utterly forgettable) Frederique Constants and that Montblanc. I must say, the Montblanc was the only one that made an impression. I wouldn't call it love at first sight, but it seemed like a lot of watch for $5k and a relatively clean dial for all the complications. The way the blued hands caught the light in person was quite delightful. 

They are one of the new kids on the block, and have been trying hard to make a name for themselves. They do make compelling products; the WIS here may turn their noses up, but if it's within your price range and you love it, don't let the opinions of a bunch of guys on the interwebz stop you.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Alternatively, look how close the date windows and moonphase are to the centre, and conversely, how massively long the minute and date hands are.

The proportions are all to cock because it's a tiny old school movement in a massive "modern" case. It's like a girl with a striking hairdo whose eyes you suddenly notice are too close together.

Don't buy it, because after a while you will realise that it is rather silly, and that five grand is actually a world of possibilities.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alternatively, look how close the date windows and moonphase are to the centre, and conversely, how massively long the minute and date hands are.

The proportions are all to cock because it's a tiny old school movement in a massive "modern" case. It's like a girl with a striking hairdo whose eyes you suddenly notice are too close together.

Don't buy it, because after a while you will realise that it is rather silly, and that five grand is actually a world of possibilities.

Good observations re: movement size and dial layout; I've read similar remarks from one of the watch review sites (was it Monochrome?). I think they have another new product that has similar layout issues, because they chose to use an older, smaller movement rather than developing a new one. I suspect this is reflected in the lower price for this item, rather than say the £7K you would pay for a JLC Master Calendar (which has a similar dial lay out, but with better proportions because they designed a movement for the watch).

Speaking of discrepancies between case sizes and movements, I generally don't have a problem with using a smaller movement in a larger case so long as it doesn't unbalance the dial (like the Montblanc shown here), or so long as a solid case back is used (eg some VCs, like the Contemporaine hand-wound). I was a bit more perturbed to learn that Patek does this, but rather than using a solid case back, will put the movement on display; see for example the 5123 discussed here. Dont get me wrong; I think the dial is lovely and I'm sure the finishing is superlative. Also the design solution they found for the case back and lugs is creative, but - for the price - why not develop a larger movement? Seems a bit sloppy to me, given that their competitors (eg AP, VC, AL&S) would have done otherwise. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads