1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I picked my Speedy's Horween strap from the folks at Worn & Wound. They use soft, plump leather that is both casual and luxurious.

I find all sorts of uses for my chrono: timing tea, minding parking meters, tracking quarter hours on the phone with my attorney. Time is money, you know.

Today's temptation on eBay:
    [​IMG]

I'm definitely finding myself more drawn to the cleaner layouts of dualtime models over the world timers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why aren't you keeping the Explorer? Which one is it, BTW?

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

And do you do finance plans?

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Mostly because my boss wont give it to me for free. Its the Explorer 39mm 214270, random "serial" number, AD stamped date of purchase 12/26/14.

lawlz we do not.

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Re: Nomos.

I like the brand and what they seemingly stand for. I like their gumption. I like many of their designs and detail choices. But in the metal the watches were very underwhelming (someone up top said he got an "is that it?" vibe when holding them, and I feel the same). Nothing against Nomos or those who wear them, but I am now certain they are not my cup of tea.

1 person likes this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I get the, "I don't like it" or "not for me" with Nomos, I'm kind of shocked at the "is that it" when handling them. But to each their own.

Edit: Though Moo, I think you were considering the Ahoi and ended up with a Sub, in that regard I suppose I get the "is that it" because from a tool watch stand point there isn't a comparison.

8. in stitches

Have never handled a Nomos. Would like to very much.

9. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Take a quick trip up 95 [​IMG]

10. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I like that Nomos isn't trying to be all things to all people. That said, I would love to see them add a chrono at some point and ironically I would also like to see them make some watches without sub seconds. After 2 weeks with my Tangomat, I'm still mesmerized every time I watch and hear the rotor do it's thing and, although that doesn't seem to be an important criteria for many, I'm thrilled that its timekeeping is impeccable.

1 person likes this.
  11. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I was more so speaking in terms of build quality and finishing when people say "is that it" when seeing them in person after liking them in pictures. I'm not surprised there are people who aren't in to Nomos designs or how they wear on their wrist, frankly I'm surprised there are so many who do enjoy them.

12. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I think it would be apparent in pictures, but maybe in the metal people are underwhelmed by the lack of intricate bezels, bevelling and brushed surfaces. Those are some of the things I like most about my Nomos. I would be interested to see what a Nomos with more mainstream lugs would look like. People tend to get really emotional and touchy feely when talking about watches even when trying to intellectualize it. I would think that the things that are underwhelming people are knowable from photos but unrealized until they have the watch in hand.

13. in stitches

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I was looking at the Club Auto and Dunkel at 38.5 and 41mm. Nice, nice watches. Not enough bling for me. I am OK with admitting that. :D

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I totally get that, and it makes sense. I guess the whole "is that it" thing can be a bit ambiguous. That conclusion makes total sense though, thanks for clarifying.

2 people like this.
  16. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I'll readily admit to having simple tastes :satisfied:

A quick cheat sheet to recognising a 36 vs a 39mm Explorer:

If the (too) short hands on the 39mm don't give it away (the minute hand doesn't reach the minute markers on the 39mm), check the applied 3-6-9 numerals. On the 36mm they are painted white (no lume) on top, on the 39mm there is no paint, just the polished metal.

I also believe the 36 had a glossy dial, where the 39 is matte.

But the easiest way, is probably to look at the dial writing. On a 36 'Explorer' is on the top of the dial, on the 39 it's been moved to the lower half.

So, 'Explorer' on top = 'first' = 36mm, while 'Explorer' on bottom = 'second' = 39mm.

:teach:

(AFAIK, anyway...)

4 people like this.
  17. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The T-Rex hands usually give it away for me, but you're right...the easiest way to tell is the placement of the Explorer text.

18. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I think the 3-6-9 marker are actually white gold, no?

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yes. All the indices are.

20. in stitches

They should be. All Rolex applied markers and hands are supposed to be gold. They are not the only manufacture to do that.

Edit - tifosi beat me to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.