• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gianni Cerutti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh just having some lunch at work.

What up, @no frills !

eju6apup.jpg
smile.gif
... simple but beautiful ... always on top.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i was in an omega boutique not too long ago and it sucked. the people working there clearly did not know jack about watches and were just spewing out whatever they were taught in training like omeeeega parrots. not to mention it was in some back corner of a mall and there was no feeling of exclusivity/fancy-pants-ness or anything special at all really about the space or ambiance.

kind of the exact opposite of what they claimed they were trying to do with these boutiques. if they are mostly like this, the idea will fail imo.

interesting to hear this. in london, paris and berlin they've invested in prestigious locations and the boutiques are almost intimidating, with bouncers to buzz you in etc. swatch group management is very focused on the asian spend (much of which takes place in European capitals), it's likely that smaller cities in the US are just not a priority

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
interesting to hear this. in london, paris and berlin they've invested in prestigious locations and the boutiques are almost intimidating, with bouncers to buzz you in etc. swatch group management is very focused on the asian spend (much of which takes place in European capitals), it's likely that smaller cities in the US are just not a priority

Meh, I wouldn't read much in to anyone's individual experience. Stitch had a bad one in the States, I had a good one. Moo just said he had one similar to Stitchy's in Paris. I think like most stores, experiences can vary depending on the sales person you hit that day. Sure, it would be great if every employee at every store was great, but that's rarely the case IMO. FWIW, the boutique in King of Prussia (suburb of Philadelphia) have a "bouncer" dressed in a suit and tie that must let you in to the store as well, this is not uncommon for high end jewelry/watch stores, and I'd assume most of the other boutiques have some similar. The boutique in my area seems to be focused on the consumer that walks in and buys a Rolex because they know the brand and what the brand can symbolize. Those consumers aren't necessarily watch people, but they recognize brands. The staff I talked to at the KoP location happened to love to talk watches, and not just Omega; maybe it's the exception or maybe it's more of the rule, I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other with any certainty. I can't even say the other employees of the boutique I visited are any good or not.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the topic of bouncers and security - there are legitimate risks when you're talking about portable high value inventory like watches. Cartier's flagship store on Fifth Avenue went through a smash and grab just a few months ago - after the perpetrators were foiled by the security guys at Wempe. So if it seems unwelcoming for some, it's the price some dealers have and want to pay given what they sell.

Today's timepiece. Why am I wearing this one so often? Because I missed her so much.

ejyqaha8.jpg

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To add to the topic of bouncers and security - there are legitimate risks when you're talking about portable high value inventory like watches. Cartier's flagship store on Fifth Avenue went through a smash and grab just a few months ago - after the perpetrators were foiled by the security guys at Wempe. So if it seems unwelcoming for some, it's the price some dealers have and want to pay given what they sell.

Today's timepiece. Why am I wearing this one so often? Because I missed her so much.

ejyqaha8.jpg

Looks great!

Both of the high end stores that I used to frequent here in Houston have an armed security guard who controls the door. You can't enter or exit without him unlocking it remotely.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:)  ... simple but beautiful ... always on top.

thanks, gianni!

Meh, I wouldn't read much in to anyone's individual experience. Stitch had a bad one in the States, I had a good one. Moo just said he had one similar to Stitchy's in Paris. I think like most stores, experiences can vary depending on the sales person you hit that day. Sure, it would be great if every employee at every store was great, but that's rarely the case IMO. FWIW, the boutique in King of Prussia (suburb of Philadelphia) have a "bouncer" dressed in a suit and tie that must let you in to the store as well, this is not uncommon for high end jewelry/watch stores, and I'd assume most of the other boutiques have some similar. The boutique in my area seems to be focused on the consumer that walks in and buys a Rolex because they know the brand and what the brand can symbolize. Those consumers aren't necessarily watch people, but they recognize brands. The staff I talked to at the KoP location happened to love to talk watches, and not just Omega; maybe it's the exception or maybe it's more of the rule, I'm not sure anyone can say one way or the other with any certainty. I can't even say the other employees of the boutique I visited are any good or not.

well said. i think you hit the nail on the head. i just wonder if they might be better served with less boutiques, and to hire top notch people for these prime locations, and leave the majority of the malls to ADs. then again, they know the what the numbers are, and if they are making money, they must be doing something right, even if its not something TWATers like.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
thanks, gianni!
well said. i think you hit the nail on the head. i just wonder if they might be better served with less boutiques, and to hire top notch people for these prime locations, and leave the majority of the malls to ADs. then again, they know the what the numbers are, and if they are making money, they must be doing something right, even if its not something TWATers like.

Yeah, ideally, I'd like your solution. But, speculating, I'd say their current strategy plays better with their target market, or what I believe them to be at least. I think the one advantage to TWATers with having so many boutiques is that, if we are interested in Omega, we can go try on every model they carry in one spot; it's a convenience for us. Hopefully you get a good sales person, but we all do enough homework here to get by with someone who is only capable of operating a key and a lock to get out the watches we are interested in trying. But it really is an interesting topic, and something we need to talk more about one of these days in person while doing some watch tyre kicking.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man that would be awesome. maybe a KoP meetup one of these days!

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah they need to train these bouncer types a bit better though, i remember one eyeing me up and down at least three times before buzzing me in. i guess he was registering a shaven-headed mixed race guy in jeans, t shirt and leather jacket, but it was a distinct turn off to me; for a moment i had a ridiculous urge to pull up my sleeve and show him this :)

MWegjLRl.jpg

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah they need to train these bouncer types a bit better though, i remember one eyeing me up and down at least three times before buzzing me in. i guess he was registering a shaven-headed mixed race guy in jeans, t shirt and leather jacket, but it was a distinct turn off to me; for a moment i had a ridiculous urge to pull up my sleeve and show him this
smile.gif

MWegjLRl.jpg

Strap looks long. Otherwise, decent watch.
bounce2.gif

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you! i'm actually wearing omega today. i considered the DSOM but decided i prefer the classic

qTzGYOFl.jpg

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does seem like a good day for the ole' Speedmaster huh?

Some great stuff lately, been fun keeping up. Some posts I have yet to respond to, I will give it a shot this weekend. This thread moves so fast sometimes!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner last night:

upe7a9ar.jpg

Notice how the day has begun to change from THU to FRI at a few minutes past 11pm. By the time it hits 12MN it will be fully "FRI" and the pointer in the date wheel will mark "21" correctly.

Lunch an hour ago:

u3udy2e2.jpg

Some friends know how to appreciate watches. Quite like them. Like my TWAT brothers here.

Haven't lost pusher caps yet...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads