• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

suaviter

Reaction score
Just like TC, I've been wearing the GL1 nonstop since I got it. I will cry when it gets it's first scratch
cry.gif

Had a dream last night that I banged my Speedy into something really badly ..... dang TWAT taking over my sub-conscious!!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Rog, I'm not sure I'd go with the tie and PS together, altough the contrasts within the PS kind of make it work, but I have no personal objection to purple ties. Just saying. Also, I've a fine purple herringbone from Aquascutum that I bought years ago before meeting the Queen (of England, not Sports Illustrated). I could tell she was digging it.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cheers Cleav.  Actually, my Anthony Cleverley Rourkes got the call today (last non-watch pic, I promise):
orig.jpg

Thanks RogP I'm happy to be wrong with those beauties

Rog, I'm not sure I'd go with the tie and PS together, altough the contrasts within the PS kind of make it work, but I have no personal objection to purple ties.  Just saying.  Also, I've a fine purple herringbone from Aquascutum that I bought years ago before meeting the Queen (of England, not Sports Illustrated).  I could tell she was digging it.

Story? As long as it involves pics of wrist action of course :)

mezentius

Reaction score
Hello TWATters;

Started doing some research on getting my first (quite literally) watch. Been learning about how watches work and, of course, going through the TWAT thread. I think I've developed my "first draft" of likes and dislikes in a watch, and was hoping to get some directions from people here.

What I'm looking for

- something erring on the side of conservative
- something with subtle character
- classic rather than modern
- a more versatile watch, but on the side of dressy (after all, this is going to be my one watch for quite a while; if I were to choose between an everyday watch or a formal watch, I'd go with formal, but if I could wear it everyday that would be a plus)

What I don't like

- chunky watches
- big shapes on the dial
- Rolexes (Rolecies?)

Budget is ~4.5k USD.

Now, I'm quite new to this genre, so I don't expect to make any purchases soon. But, after maybe a week or so of casually perusing watch threads, I've found the first watch (short of 200k Pateks) which I actually felt anything for (but I haven't seen that many watches, hence why I'm asking around now) - the Max Bill Chronoscope:

Why I like it

- well within budget
- apparently it's a proper quality watch with a proper movement (Valjoux 7750)
- clean, understated dial
- small bezel
- looks very functional, as if I just ripped it out of an instrument panel and strapped it to my wrist. Particularly like the pushers.
- Dat font. Normally I'm not a fan of arabic numerals on watches, but dat font.
- (might be completely wrong here) it is understated enough to be dressy, but still would look out of place everyday because of the letters and the stopwatch pushers

Why I'm apprehensive

- 40 mm might be a bit big for dress watches?
- Difficult to purchase, and cannot try it on, as I am in Australia and it's impossible to find anything down here.
- Might be a bit too anachronistic
- Not sapphire crystal (does it matter that much?)

So, thoughts on this watch? If I were to get this watch, I'd probably get the steel with numbered dial. Even though the numberless dial is more clean and elegant, I feel that the numbers give it so much more character. Also, as this is still early days, any alternatives would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean by "big shapes on the dial"? Do you mean the subdials (the watch you are considering has a couple, so maybe you mean something else)

If you stretch that budget just a liiiitle bit (or go used), you're in Omega territory....and so it begins :lol:

mezentius

Reaction score
What do you mean by "big shapes on the dial"? Do you mean the subdials (the watch you are considering has a couple, so maybe you mean something else)

If you stretch that budget just a liiiitle bit (or go used), you're in Omega territory....and so it begins
lol8[1].gif

I mean stuff like chunky lettering, or blocky hour line thingies.

I doubt I have enough experience to go used yet, so paying close to retail is my only option :(

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a chrono at that price range, the only other choices for new off the top of my head would be Omega, Sinn, and perhaps Zenith, and none of them would look like like that one. These days I wouldn't say 40mm is too big.

If you aren't married to a chron your choices open up a bit.

mezentius

Reaction score
If you want a chrono at that price range, the only other choices for new off the top of my head would be Omega, Sinn, and perhaps Zenith, and none of them would look like like that one. These days I wouldn't say 40mm is too big.

If you aren't married to a chron your choices open up a bit.

I'm in a very open relationship. I just happened to like the design of the Max Bill; I did look at the non-chronograph automatic, but the non-numbered dial loses the "instrumental" feel, and the numbered dial has the numbering too far in. Feel free to suggest away!

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello TWATters;

Started doing some research on getting my first (quite literally) watch. Been learning about how watches work and, of course, going through the TWAT thread. I think I've developed my "first draft" of likes and dislikes in a watch, and was hoping to get some directions from people here.
Thanks!

NOMOS

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mezentius - I like the Max Bill a lot - it's clean to the point of being austere. Very sharp.

I don't think 40mm is too big for a dress watch, but it is as big as I would want to go, personally. One point to consider beyond the diameter is the thickness or height of the case. The 7750 is not thin movement, and watches so equipped do tend to be on the thick side. You might want to look at the full dimensions of the Max Bill just to make sure it isn't too tall for your liking.

While I almost always prefer a sapphire crystal, its absence isn't a deal breaker for me. None of my vintage watches have sapphire crystals and I wear them regularly without issue.

If you like the aesthetic of the Max Bill, I second Trompe le Monde's suggestion to give Nomos a close look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads