• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I agree that it's less hideous that other "smart" watches. But still more hideous then a watch. :)

To Mr Mezentius' question, I've tried to go through a logical search:

- $3000-$4500 (There are cheaper, like the Junghans, but it seemed to me that you really wanted this to be a purchase of a certain magnitude)

- new

- respectable maker that isn't Rolex

- steel case

- 36mm-39mm in diameter

- a dress watch (or possibly a chrono, but no bezels etc)

I give you:

Nomos, as suggested above: the 40mm Zurich ( *love*) is very minimalist Bauhaus, but the interesting dial colours might appeal. If not, possibly the Tangomat for more visual interest on a white dial.

Omega: the Constellation is very distinctive, although personally not my taste. The Aqua Terra I like, and plenty of options in your range. But I think the one for you might be the DeVille Prestige with the power reserve: has the interesting subdials like a chrono, but not too fussy and definitely a versatile dress watch rather than a dressy sports watch.

Zenith: the Port Royal, probably. I like the blue one.

IWC; The Spitfire Type XVI is around at your price. Small by IWC standards, and works both smart and casual I'd say. Very watch-cred maker for that money.

Chronoswiss: interesting maker that was mentioned recently. The Regulator is interesting, I just saw one in this price range.

Unless you really want a dress-ish chronograph, in which case you have the Chronoswiss Classic Chronograph, that I think is quite smart.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mimo's pretty much covered it. although from his list I'd first page through the Omega catalog, with Nomos as second prize

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Quite right, no particular order was implied: go try some on, all of them and more. Then, inevitably you find one that's over budget and re-calibrate!

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First smartwatch that isn't absolutely hideous

Not terrible. :) Mrs. TC has this one, which is the least offensive I've seen. Rose gold case, white rubber strap, rose gold deployant clasp.

11888259275_27c8ea821a.jpg

hurleyburley

Reaction score
I agree that it's less hideous that other "smart" watches. But still more hideous then a watch. :)

- $3000-$4500 (There are cheaper, like the Junghans, but it seemed to me that you really wanted this to be a purchase of a certain magnitude)

- new

- steel case

- 36mm-39mm in diameter

I give you:

Nomos, as suggested above: the 40mm Zurich ( *love*) is very minimalist Bauhaus, but the interesting dial colours might appeal. If not, possibly the Tangomat for more visual interest on a white dial.

Omega: the Constellation is very distinctive, although personally not my taste. The Aqua Terra I like, and plenty of options in your range. But I think the one for you might be the DeVille Prestige with the power reserve: has the interesting subdials like a chrono, but not too fussy and definitely a versatile dress watch rather than a dressy sports watch.

Zenith: the Port Royal, probably. I like the blue one.

IWC; The Spitfire Type XVI is around at your price. Small by IWC standards, and works both smart and casual I'd say. Very watch-cred maker for that money.

Chronoswiss: interesting maker that was mentioned recently. The Regulator is interesting, I just saw one in this price range.

Unless you really want a dress-ish chronograph, in which case you have the Chronoswiss Classic Chronograph, that I think is quite smart.

Really good summary with some not so common recommendations.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
In that price range, it's this one. No display back.

But it's an automatic IWC with a bit of personality for $4k-ish. Like it or not, it's pretty inoffensive at least. And small enough for a dress watch, just, at under 40mm - although I suspect it sits up a bit.

SilenceDoGood

Reaction score
Not sure if this magnificent timepiece was posted anywhere between page 1 and 1855, but if it was I'm sure you all won't mind seeing it once more!

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that it's less hideous that other "smart" watches.  But still more hideous then a watch. :)

- $3000-$4500  (There are cheaper, like the Junghans,  but it seemed to me that you really wanted this to be a purchase of a certain magnitude)

- new

- steel case

- 36mm-39mm in diameter

I give you:

Nomos, as suggested above: the 40mm Zurich ( *love*) is very minimalist Bauhaus, but the interesting dial colours might appeal.  If not, possibly the Tangomat for more visual interest on a white dial.

Omega: the Constellation is very distinctive, although personally not my taste.  The Aqua Terra I like, and plenty of options in your range.  But I think the one for you might be the DeVille Prestige with the power reserve: has the interesting subdials like a chrono, but not too fussy and definitely a versatile dress watch rather than a dressy sports watch.

Zenith: the Port Royal, probably.  I like the blue one.

IWC; The Spitfire Type XVI is around at your price.  Small by IWC standards, and works both smart and casual I'd say.  Very watch-cred maker for that money.

Chronoswiss: interesting maker that was mentioned recently.  The Regulator is interesting, I just saw one in this price range.

Mimo, got it right there ^

I would buy that one just because of the name. I love Spitfires! :D

^ This^

No its good!

I mean if it is this one, it looks very interesting.

Great back door!

tumblr_mz8u99F9N01spqdezo1_1280.jpg

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mezentius, this is a budget stretch, but I'm wondering if it appeals to you in terms of aesthetics. Not as austere as the Junghans or Nomos, but pretty simple in the overall scheme of things:
orig.jpg

The Zenith Captain is also a very nice all-rounder:
standard.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads