• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and since Frilly came clean, this may be the one day of my life I'm wearing better shoes than him LOL.

My (very modest) Allen-Edmonds Mora 2.0s (+ Daytona)....

I love double monk straps. A quick photo of a pair I wore this weekend. Sadly not a great photo.

lol. well then, what is up next for mr dino?
We have a new car arriving in a few months and Mrs. Dino has a big birthday coming up in early 2014...so I'm kind of in a holding pattern until Mrs. Dino decides what she wants for her Bday. She tends to put a lot of time into making very careful decisions. However, at the moment I'm quite satisfied with my current collection. I'm not sure if my next watch will be another dress watch (maybe a Reverso or Piaget Altiplano) or another sports watch (they tend to get more wear from me)...or I could do something I never do and look for something vintage. For now I have plenty of time to ponder the possibilities and see what gets unveiled at SIHH and Basel.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I had a picture of my TWAT unappreciated Franck Muller Casablanca I would throw it up here to fuel the fire. Recently got back into this thread. Have been eyeing a Milgaus lately to join the stable of the above mentioned Casablanca, Chopard Millie Miglia, PAM 111.

Actually, I like FM's tonneau designs.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

10 minutes to takeoff. They'll be making me power down soon

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino does not make mistakes. Only deliberate lapses to test whether we're paying attention.

So I went to the Rolex boutique at 5th avenue this afternoon and finally wore the all platinum Daytona. Got up close and personal with it, though they made me wear gloves.

So should I make the trade? Patek in yellow gold for an all platinum Daytona!!!

quryzejy.jpg

But what if they threw the blue/black GMT in the deal?

aruneqys.jpg

#justkiddingnosuchdealwasofferedplusiamnotthatdumb

----------------------------

/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just practicing my photography skills (which are still crappy, but I'll get there). Hopefully my wife will get me a new digital camera for Christmas (I'm using hers here):

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have a new car arriving in a few months and Mrs. Dino has a big birthday coming up in early 2014...so I'm kind of in a holding pattern until Mrs. Dino decides what she wants for her Bday.  She tends to put a lot of time into making very careful decisions.  However, at the moment I'm quite satisfied with my current collection.  I'm not sure if my next watch will be another dress watch 
(maybe a Reverso or Piaget Altiplano)
or another sports watch (they tend to get more wear from me)...or I could do something I never do and look for something vintage.  For now I have plenty of time to ponder the possibilities and see what gets unveiled at SIHH and Basel.

happy early bday to the mrs dino. the bold has my full and strong approval.

^^ NEVER!!!!!!!

what these guys said. get the blue/black either way tho.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will get a vote from Dino for the tonneau case. And actually I think it's weirdly cool.
Spot on Mimo. I'm a big fan of tonneau cases and their variations (like Cartier's Tortue, and VC's Malte). Its a style that took a bit of time to grow on me, but now I adore them. I plan to add a tonneau cased watch to my collection some day...especially since 2 of my favorite brands (VC and Cartier) have a very long history of producing them.

Dino does not make mistakes. Only deliberate lapses to test whether we're paying attention.

So should I make the trade? Patek in yellow gold for an all platinum Daytona!!!

quryzejy.jpg
Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my deliberate testing of other SF's as opposed to my making a mistake.
fistbump.gif

The platinum Daytona in your photo looks better than I expected it to look. My main interest would be to see how heavy it feels. I love the heft that comes with platinum. It must feel like it weighs a ton! However, its not a model I'd have a real desire to own. I like the blue/black GMT a lot. I had hoped to see one on our last trip to NYC, but no one had one in stock during our last visit. I'll have to make a point to stop into one of our nearby Rolex ADs just to see it in the metal.

happy early bday to the mrs dino. the bold has my full and strong approval.
Thanks for the early bday wishes for Mrs. Dino. I had a feeling that I'd earn the Stitchy vote of approval for a Reverso.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nodding:

and the altiplano as well. tried one on in in nyc a little while back. stunning.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a link somewhere of a guy that posted a dozen or more different Speedy combos and ranked all the different straps by quality, price, etc...but I can't find it now. Might have been on TimeZone?

May have bookmarked it on my home computer....if so, I will post it this evening.

Yes please....:lurk:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to confess that I am wearing $70 beater shoes I picked up from DSW.  Double monkstraps in "brandy" by that venerable shoe manufacturer Mercanti Fiorentini.  Quite comfortable, honestly.  But also very appropriate given that it's raining and snowing outdoors and I'd much rather save the better shoes for better weather.

This is why you rock - all about the best bang for the buck! :fistbump:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The platinum Daytona in your photo looks better than I expected it to look. My main interest would be to see how heavy it feels.

I remember a few months ago when this was first discussed, with no small amount of ridicule (mine too). Then I found the thing haunting my dreams like the Eye of Sauron. I still haven't seen one, but I've a strange feeling that it has a lot more charisma than the pictures suggest. Back to that same old adage: there's no substitute for seeing something on the wrist. On you second point, I tried on the "President" platinum Day-Date the other day while bored in an airport. It is very heavy indeed; I imagine this would be similar. Now that's a very ugly $60k imho. But the Daytona may yet have magical powers.

Frilly, swaps aside, did you actually like it?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spot on Mimo. I'm a big fan of tonneau cases and their variations (like Cartier's Tortue, and VC's Malte). Its a style that took a bit of time to grow on me, but now I adore them. I plan to add a tonneau cased watch to my collection some day...especially since 2 of my favorite brands (VC and Cartier) have a very long history of producing them.

Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my deliberate testing of other SF's as opposed to my making a mistake.
fistbump.gif

The platinum Daytona in your photo looks better than I expected it to look. My main interest would be to see how heavy it feels. I love the heft that comes with platinum. It must feel like it weighs a ton! However, its not a model I'd have a real desire to own. I like the blue/black GMT a lot. I had hoped to see one on our last trip to NYC, but no one had one in stock during our last visit. I'll have to make a point to stop into one of our nearby Rolex ADs just to see it in the metal.

Thanks for the early bday wishes for Mrs. Dino. I had a feeling that I'd earn the Stitchy vote of approval for a Reverso.

I had a look at the blue\black GMT just a bit ago. Although the black bezel in Ceramic looks real good I'm not a fan of the other colors in Ceramic and it was quite difficult to locate the blue GMT hand. The green hand is a lot easier to find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads