• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slayer: PIIIIIIIIIIICS!!

onehotchili

Reaction score
....but I do have an Ironman.

i love my Ironman watches.... i go through one every 3-5 years depending on what mtn bike crash, dropping it off a cliff, smacking into granite while rock climbing etc incident. but they are light, have good alarms, and i know where every button, light, and other function works... in my sleep :). i've never been into G-Shocks, but with all this recent chatter... maybe i'll check them out!

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score

All this G-Shock talk reminds me of my first watch, a black Casio digital (late 70's IIRC). Sadly I can't find it on Google. It had a black plastic (rubber?) strap, black pushers and the display didn't light up (one of the pushers activated a small light that shone across the display).

It will be a vintage Casio. The early Made In Japan ones are the most desired among collectors.

DHD28

Reaction score
Never really owned a decent watch and I remember why now... Was really looking into getting a Tissot Tradition (which I believe is 42mm) but my wrists are so G DAMN tiny! I'm STILL thinking about it, though.

Questions for you seasoned vets:
If I were to get a watch with a leather band, where can I take it to get the dual clasps so I don't wear out the leather strap? And how much would a modification like that run me?

Chuckie Egg

Reaction score
Never really owned a decent watch and I remember why now... Was really looking into getting a Tissot Tradition (which I believe is 42mm) but my wrists are so G DAMN tiny! I'm STILL thinking about it, though.

Questions for you seasoned vets:
If I were to get a watch with a leather band, where can I take it to get the dual clasps so I don't wear out the leather strap? And how much would a modification like that run me?
Buy a deployant clasp (many retail sources online) and fit it yourself. Be sure to buy the right width for the buckle end of the strap.

DHD28

Reaction score
Thanks Chuckie. What is the general consensus here at SF about deployant clasps? And what about double fold vs single fold?

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will be a vintage Casio. The early Made In Japan ones are the most desired among collectors.

Well, it wasn't vintage when I got it ;-)

I remember seeing For Your Eyes Only in the cinema in '81 and being slightly disappointed that RM wore a Seiko while mine was a Casio (even though I never cared for the particular model i that movie).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
le datejust turn-o-graph. (the "le" is not technically part of the official name)

And 'tis a beaut indeed!

FWIW, I don't have any G-Shocks in the "collection"....but I do have an Ironman.

It's almost exclusively used for timing my recreational jogging (pronounced with a soft "J").

+1 to "zho-gging"!

Yay!! Just got my pre-Moon cal.321 vintage Speedy back.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dbln79

Reaction score
I own a G-Shock and I love it. Would I wear it to work? Of course not. I wear it to the gym when I'm not using a heart rate monitor or any other place that wouldn't be suitable to wear something fragile as a nice watch. Some may argue that you can wear the Explorer II to active things...and yeah, you could, but is it really suitable? My G-Shock isn't shiny, it's not white, and it's not purple...it's a very understated matte black. It's a beater through and through and takes a beating like no other watch.

I mean, when you're at the gym curling with 160lb dumbbells, you want something that's gonna be able to take the pain!!!! J/k

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some may argue that you can wear the Explorer II to active things...and yeah, you could, but is it really suitable?

I mean, when you're at the gym curling with 160lb dumbbells, you want something that's gonna be able to take the pain!!!! J/k

Hah! I actually wear my Explorer I to the gym... but then I do not curl 160 pound dumbbells, just a pair of 50s... veiny calf shot here hehe.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Congrats. Diggin the hands on that one
Picked up this Ingersoll as a dress watch. Wasn't looking to spend too much and after checking out the Tissot PRC200 I found it to be too small for my liking.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
great stuff al always, dino.
fing02[1].gif
Thanks bro
fistbump.gif

I LOL'd

Thanks Dino.
Cylon buddy, I'm always happy to amuse a fellow SFer.
If you have a slight build and small wrists, buy a watch that fits. Buying a large watch, because its the trend, but which looks too large for you will make you look like a poser. If you think 42 is too large, then it probably is. When I see small guys wearing oversized watches that don't fit, I just think the person is a poor sap trying to fit in with the masses who follow trends.
I remember seeing For Your Eyes Only in the cinema in '81 and being slightly disappointed that RM wore a Seiko while mine was a Casio (even though I never cared for the particular model i that movie).
I kind of liked the Seiko with ticker tape message in the beginning of the Spy Who Loved Me, but overall I was a bit disappointed when Bond stopped wearing a Rolex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads