The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i do liek that IWC port. i like it alut.

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. in stitches

:nodding:

was hoping someone would get that. i love that movie.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Beeeautiful movement! I'm sure you are thrilled to have your Speedy home again.
    Very nice.
    Sorry Keith, but did you actually mean to say, "Legendary?" I was thinking kahhhhhrazy !!!
    +1 spot on. [​IMG]

Price spikes on newly released Rolex watches are different than when prices jump drastically on vintage pieces. New watches, such as when the 114270 36mm Ex1, steel and platinum Yachtmaster, Milgauss GV...etc had price spikes and were selling at over MSRP, because of the short supply and some people that had to be the first on the block to own one. Its just basic supply v. demand. Once the supply caught up, prices dropped and those watches were then selling new from ADs with discounts (although, yes I know its now supposedly Rolex policy not to discount steel models).

However, with vintage watches... you truly have a limited supply that will remain limited. Decades ago, people wore their watches. People didn't buy them to put in a vault (I've seen recent production Pateks advertised still in the cardboard shipping box and plastic wrap). People wore their watches, some got damaged or lost, and you have varying degrees of condition. There may be a handful of NOS, mint, rarely or never worn vintage Rolex, Patek, AP, VC etc with box and papers from decades ago...but most will show some patina, wear and tear, or in some cases damage and most will not have box and papers. Collectors of means always want the best condition and most complete model (B&P and hang tags) available. Sure there were thousands of 1655 Ex2s made, or Red Subs, but today all in varying degrees of condition....generally with the best and most complete fetching the most money. Ralph Lauren collects vintage automobiles and people thought he was crazy paying top dollar for some of the cars he has. But now people say he was a genius paying tomorrows money to assure himself of getting the best available, and today what he paid is a pittance of what those cars are worth.

So the truly limited number of vintage watches means we aren't simply going to see a price correction when more arrive. I think we would have to see a collapse of the watch collecting market for prices to fall on highly sought after vintage watches. I thought a plain Panda dial manual wind Daytona was overpriced when in the mid 90s they were going for 6,000-8,000. These were watches that were $500-900 when new depending on when purchased. Now look at the prices...these are $24,000-30,000 all day long.

So back to Nuke, I think we have to be careful, even when using my statements [​IMG], so that they are used for the specific scenarios rather than as generalizations. As the statement I made was relative to modern production pieces, which are a very different market...but thanks for quoting me anyway bro.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

5. in stitches

super well said, as always, dino. and of course, i just love it when we agree.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks bro! Me too [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes.

Yes.

A picture share from a friend of mine who is a photographer. Panerai is his - model's name is Lisa. The watch seems too big for her.

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

what watch?

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Might be better for your friend if the model was his, and the Panerai was hers [​IMG]

10. Dmanf51

Dmanf51 Active Member

T

Thanks

11. in stitches

thread winner.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Exactly...
    Exactly!

Eeee-xactly!!!!

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Wowzers. How did he swing that one. I think we may have found one of the new TWAT mascots.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Model number?

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Difficult to tell. Her arms are blocking a visual to the first part of the reference number...could be 32B, 32C, 34C-24-32?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.