The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

I checked THIS one out yesterday, from their Aviation line.

[​IMG]

Somewhat large? Yes: Size of case/total weight -> 54.1 x 52.4 x 16.4mm / 118g

Totally over-engineered for anyone except a Navy SEAL, I think:

Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan, China)
    Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
    Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day/up to 5 times per day for China)
    Manual receive function
    Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60, China BPC
    Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz, BPC 68.5kHz
    • Tough Solar Power
    • Shock Resistant
    • Triple G Resistant
    • Tough Movement
    • Auto hand home position correction
    • 200M Water Resistant
    • Neo-brite luminous hands and markers
    • Thermometer
      Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
      Display unit: 1 C (2 F)
    • World Time
      29 times zones (29 cities + UTC), city code display, daylight saving on/off, home city/world time swapping)
    • Beeper Alarm
    • 1/20 second chronograph
      Measuring capacity: 1:59'59.95"
      Measuring modes: Elapsed time
      Other: Fly back
    • Countdown Timer
      Measuring unit: 1 second
      Countdown range: 60 minutes
      Countdown start time setting range: 1 to 60 minutes (1-minute increments)
    • Full Auto-Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
    • Day/Date Display
    • 12/24 Hour Formats
    • Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
    • Storage Battery: Solar Rechargeable Battery
    • Low Battery Warning
    • Power Saving Function
    • Approx. Battery Life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
    • Module: 5240

(Although that thermometer could come in handy if one of my daughters was running a fever...)

Already one of their higher priced models at $600: http://www.gshock.com/watches/Aviation/GWA1000FC-2A

I think this is just a passing fancy on my part, so I will continue to investigate and check out the wares but the fact that I haven't pulled the trigger given the price point and after seeing one on my wrist (and it ain't half bad either) probably - fingers crossed - means I will do without it. Whooooooooooooooooooooooa!!!!

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Mimo, well done! Great hearing about the next generation of watch nuts growing into the hobby. I have lots of great memories of watch research, reconnaissance, and shopping with my Dad, both for his watches and mine. I hope he enjoys it, and that you will continue to enjoy this crazy hobby of ours with the added benefit of eventually having another SF'er (one in your own home) to bounce watch ideas off of. Great job!
    +1

I agree with all that Belligero has stated. Particularly with Rolex, you will see more hand workmanship on vintage models, than what you will see on modern pieces. Sure there are some great advancements in production (allowing companies to make more watches efficiently), and technological advancements in materials such as ceramics, carbon fiber, and using springs that are largely anti-magnetic. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't find the technological advance, make me happier, make me appreciate a watch more, or make my older watches seem deficient. Production advances only help the manufacturers in terms of speeding up what they can make, and when I see current prices it doesn't seem any savings get passed on to me. As for the use of new materials, Carbon Fiber just seems like a politically correct and fancy way of saying plastic. Sure its light and strong, and makes sense in racing cars, but I don't find it appealing on watches. Ceramic, sure its scratch proof, but we've seen that it can still be damaged or shatter. The old aluminum bezel inserts could be scratched or dented, but they would still function, and they were less expensive and easier to replace. Beyond, that the colors available on the aluminum, the pepsi, the coke, the root beer, blue Sub, the green of the LV, seemed deeper, richer and more attractive to me than the modern ceramic green, or blue of current Subs. The only modern colored bezel I like so far is the Blue Black GMT2.

I own a modern 116250 with Cal 4130, and it out performs my El Primero based 16520 in terms of advancements, power reserve, ease of service (not that I service the watch), seeing the luminous markings. Yet, the 16520 has more hand workmanship, was made in smaller batches because of the hand workmanship, and I find the dials more attractive. There is a place in my collection and heart for each but for different reasons.
    +1 another great post.

I do appreciate movements. Once one is in a certain price range, I don't want to feel that I am wearing simply a more polished version of the same movement that is sitting in someone's $1,000 watch if I am wearing something that is substantially more expensive. It would be like finding out that the engine in a new Porsche Turbo is simply a chromed version of what is in someone's Kia. Each car has a job to do, but I would feel like I was being ripped off if that is what I found was under the hood of a Porsche that is drastically more expensive. That being said, I try to choose my watches/movements carefully. Still I can enjoy wearing my 12 year old Rolex 16570 Ex2 with a rather simply finished movement, just as I can enjoy wearing my 15202 Jumbo with cal 2121. Hell, cal. 2121 has been around for about 4 decades and is still celebrated as a great movement even if it doesn't have the technological advances of the latest Rolex.

Celebrity ownership often affects values drastically. An early 1960's Ferrari 250 Lusso owned by Steve McQueen sold for around $2 Million dollars within the last few years and it was brown. Really nice 250 Lussos in far more desirable colors sell for 1.2-1.4 million. Documented celebrity ownership, by a popular person always drives the price up when it comes to collectors. Personally, I'm not sure owning something that belonged to a famous person would mean enough to me to pay a premium. I would rather have a pristine NOS item with all boxes and papers rather than something banged around by a celebrity. In the end, rarity will always pay a role, and on some level again, that ties into celebrity ownership. How many albino Daytonas can someone say are or were owned by Clapton or other celebrities. In the end what drives collectors is only known in the heart and mind of each collector.
    I'm not a fan of the Albino Daytona. I'd rather have either a PN or or vintage Panda. I think when you talk about vintage anything, it goes beyond technology. It goes into having something rare that not everyone has. Anyone can walk into a current Rolex dealer and buy any model and then can have it for you pretty quickly. You have to do a bit more than that to get a good vintage Orange Hand Ex2 or PN Daytona. Its also something you won't see on about a dozen people's wrists as you walk through the streets of Manhattan, LA, or Chicago.

If someone is buying vintage, its about buying something that has survived decades, that may have some battle scars, because they were bought when people wore watches and didn't save them for investment purposes. So really good ones often take time to locate. I think if someone buys what they true adore, they won't be disappointed with the value if it only stays stable or it declines. Not everyone will like our choices, and markets for a variety of items is fickle. Resale value does become a consideration to many people, particularly if an item is very costly. However, it should not be the primary factor in one's decisions. If you bought it for yourself, you wore it and enjoyed it, then you got your money's worth.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

While I think a G-shock could serve a valuable place in someone's life as a rugged beater, I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on one. Sure its far from Rolex, Omega, or Breitling watches, but I can't see spending $600 on a plastic digital watch...but that's just me. If it puts a smile on your face when you try it on go for it!

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Current retail prices at the Casio website ranges from $70 to $600, with secondary market prices all over the place.

But yeah, I'm really not sure I'll get myself one.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

great stuff al always, dino. :fonz:

6. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

[​IMG]

EDIT: revised meme generator to something potentially more humorous and less offensive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. qubed

qubed Well-Known Member

Kaplan, keep in mind that $1700 in 1991 is just over 5 grand today with inflation today, so you really wouldn't be paying 4x.

8. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Agreed. Some of the G-Shocks are outrageous. I used to own a "simple" one years ago. I wore it around the house, something that my dog would bite when we played and I wouldn't care. Now it's been replaced by an Seiko 007, and I enjoy that far more as a beater. I have a running watch for any digital tool purposes anyway. Just my 2 pennies.

9. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

qubed, you're of course right (without checking the specific numbers) and if I didn't already had something to scratch my Rolex itch I would probably find a way to justify current prices. For now I have settled for admiring the 5513 from afar :)

10. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Regrets, Frilly — and you know I love ya — but when I see one of those over-the-top wrist computers, I don't picture "badass Navy SEAL", I picture "Dwight Schrute": [​IMG] Of course, that might just be due my general impression of the type of humourless forum person that gets a bit TOO into his Casios/Seikos and completely loses connection with reality. On the other hand, you do have some rather decent watches and write amusing stuff, so there's no real risk in going for their most convoluted gadget... probably. But have you seen the instruction manual for one of those things? They're typically the size of a Russian novel! It's cool that it tells you what temperature your wrist is and everything, but it seems a bit, y'know, much. Granted, Gs have never been about subtlety , but I'd just get one of their simple, tough and legible semi-normal models instead of wasting time reading tiny print trying to figure out how to set that damned thing. The whole point of a G-Shock is to completely not give a shit about it.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah no, no, I wrote that post with a bit of tongue-in-cheek slant. Hehe. Ain't gonna get this one. :)

12. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I kinda figured as much. Good example of the specifications-can-get-pretty-ridiculous thing. :cheers:

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

I LOL'd

Thanks Dino.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i cant imagine wearing any G-shock. :hide:

15. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

stitches, what is the rolex you've been wearing in your waywts recently? datejust?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.