• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am in San Francisco for literally about seven hours, and had three hours to kill (don't ask me, I didn't come up with the scheduling). So walked around the Union Square area and wouldn't you know it, I wandered into Tourbillon and Shreve. Found an interesting women's piece at Shreve: Patek's 7071 in white gold, the "ladies first chronograph" (as they term it). Diamonds are inside the crystal versus right on the bezel, interesting touch. But even more interesting was the relative size: yes, it's a cushion case so those tend to be bigger, but check it out right beside my 36mm 3970P:

(All credit for the incredibly crappy picture goes to my Blackberry 9900).

Relatively large looking case, 'no? Official case dimensions are 35mm by 39mm.

Requisite picture by Union Square. Lovely afternoon. Cliche, I understand, but must not leave my heart in San Fran and all that.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My IWC Mark XII pilot
Now that's a nice one!
Ah, that Mark XII is such a classic.
Serious question - why does IWC keep rolling out new pilot's watches? It is hard to see how the new designs improve the old ones and in some cases, you have a real decline (the new one is awful). Do people collect them and thus each new model generates additional sales? Or do they just like giving a new "Mark" to incremental changes and updates? For me, the highpoint was the XV on a bracelet, but the XII on a bracelet is also great.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its all about $ imo. new model new interest new sales. most people are not as picky as those of us here and have no idea what older models even looked like.

Devoti

Reaction score
Thanks and I agree, my Mark XII is so timeless, I keep looking at other pilot watches and for me my Mark XII seems to be the default. The only thing I want from it is about 2mm of more diameter which they did with the Mark XV. I'm not a fan of the newer models especially the recents versions, except maybe the XV.

I definetely think the IWC pilot was a sleeper for a long time and then really came into demand and fame, I believe IWC made an attempt to capitalize on the fame with introducing newer models, larger sizes to appease the current trends. I don't agree with it

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From a design standpoint, I think the XV was just about perfect. I do have a real soft spot for the XII, though, and that lovely JLC movement that powers it. I have been trying to convince a buddy of mine to sell me his for years now. No dice.

Devoti

Reaction score
From a design standpoint, I think the XV was just about perfect. I do have a real soft spot for the XII, though, and that lovely JLC movement that powers it. I have been trying to convince a buddy of mine to sell me his for years now. No dice.
A big problem with the XV for me is the bracelet, the XII beads of rice version is so much more comfortable and imho better looking than the XV bracelet.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For pilot watches, I really like these...

Paul Gerber Model 42 (yes, I see the lone date window)

SUF "Myrsky"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads