• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also lovely. if you ever come across another, please do alert me. i would be in your debt.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Roger P! I would love to have that in my collection for a dress watch. This is mine.I showed this watch last year and another time wearing it to a wedding last year. Re-showing it because I completely revamped the watch.. replaced the bezel and the crown, all Omega as well as the strap. Then had it serviced and cleaned up. This is the result. Had it back for a couple months now. Showing a couple different views of the watch..

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The strap is very hard to capture in a pic. It's an OE Patek croc in a very smart matte charcoal grey, and the contrasting stitching is a light dove grey. It's been sitting in my strap drawer (together with it's tan / honey-brown sibling) for probably over a year. I took both straps in partial trade against a watch I was selling and figured I'd easily work them into the rotation or else sell them. Too lazy to sell them, so I finally took the plastic off this one. Glad I did - the quality is superb and it suits the watch very well, I think. This isn't a great pic of the watch (overexposed at the case and dial) but it does shoe the strap a bit better:
Nice strap. How old is this watch and what is the thickness? Also, is this completely original, incl the second hand?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chocosa - that's a lovely piece - thanks for showing it again. This thread is so massive that it's easy to miss a lot of worthwhile stuff.
Nice strap.

How old is this watch and what is the thickness? Also, is this completely original, incl the second hand?

Rooster - I won't know the exact age untill I have it opened and the serial number cross-referenced with Omega records. The watch was certainly marketed by the most recent vendor as being original - and though there is nothing about the watch which suggests the contrary to me, I always retain a bit of skepticism given the number of decades and unknown owners that have passed since it was made.

Not sure of the thickness (and I have misplaced my calipers) but being a manual wind, it is very slender indeed.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

chocosa - that's a lovely piece - thanks for showing it again.  This thread is so massive that it's easy to miss a lot of worthwhile stuff.

Rooster - I won't know the exact age untill I have it opened and the serial number cross-referenced with Omega records.  The watch was certainly marketed by the most recent vendor as being original - and though there is nothing about the watch which suggests the contrary to me, I always retain a bit of skepticism given the number of decades and unknown owners that have passed since it was made.

Not sure of the thickness (and I have misplaced my calipers) but being a manual wind, it is very slender indeed.

Thanks RP. It looks great.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A customer in South Africa already received their new GMT. Now I'm unsure about the blue...

I was expecting a deeper blue and not this baby blue hue we're seeing above. Of course I will have to reserve judgement until I see it in person, but this is a little disheartening to say the least.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see one in person also, pics may not due it justice. Someone referred to the color scheme as PowerAde and that's all I can think about now..

A customer in South Africa already received their new GMT. Now I'm unsure about the blue...

I was expecting a deeper blue and not this baby blue hue we're seeing above. Of course I will have to reserve judgement until I see it in person, but this is a little disheartening to say the least.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's so silly that it says Rolex all around the inner ring on the new GMT. That kills it for me. I do think the all blue dial with WG is amazing, never would have thought of it.

I thought the same thing before I actually tried one. Although I'd prefer not to have the rehaut engraving, it's essentially invisible in real life. A full-screen macro photo isn't like having a 40-ish-mm object at arm's length. Don't let that non-issue keep you from enjoying a quality watch.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see one in person also, pics may not due it justice. Someone referred to the color scheme as PowerAde and that's all I can think about now..
I really look forward to seeing it in person. However, at least in photos I think it still looks better than the blue ceramic bezels on the WG Sub (which reminds me a smurf), or YG or two tone Subs. I think the blue was generally deeper, darker and better looking on the old aluminum bezels, hence I've never had a desire to own a current two tone or all gold Sub. I think its still pretty good looking with half the bezel being black but I'll reserve my final judgement until I see it in person.
...that's funny!
It's so silly that it says Rolex all around the inner ring on the new GMT. That kills it for me. I do think the all blue dial with WG is amazing, never would have thought of it.
Actually all modern Rolex watches have had the "Rolex" name around the inner ring for several years. I thought it was odd initially, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

Have you seen the WG with blue dial and blue bezel in person...sorry that's one that looks better in photos. I've seen it in person and its too bright (A guy I know had one, got tired of it after about 2 years, couldn't find a buyer for about a year and took a bath on it when he finally found a buyer). I prefer the old blue dials and bezels before the ceramic days...they were much darker and more attractive IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads