The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Yeah - that's a dick move, but we've all done it. Fortunately there are still enough people buying from the B&Ms to keep them afloat for now. I just found out a store I used to frequent (as a browser) in college that sells high-end audio is no longer around. I was really planning on going there when i am finally ready for some big-league stuff (they sold me used/low-end stuff at great prices when I was in college). Still makes me sad.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I read that "looks gay" first time. Don't know whether that says more about my eyesight or my mind. Well OK, I do.

I respect my local ADs by visiting regularly when I'm bored, talking about how high their prices are (they are), trying some stuff on, and then not buying anything at all either from them or anywhere else. That way I'm appreciating them without paying any premium.

Last edited: May 14, 2013

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

while lulzy, and i know you were kidding, but on the serious side, i think it is kind of dickish to really go overboard with wasting someone's time when you know you are not going to kop. unless you tell them that explicitly, and they treat you the same in the hopes of gaining you as a customer. which has happened to me many times. the best SAs know that everyone is a potential customer somewhere down the line, and treat everyone the same.

but people who put on an air like they are actually going to buy something, and lead on an SA or owner for hours, and then disappear forever, not cool.

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Very much pleased with the way my Corthay Kleber shoes turned out: a funky mix of balmoral (front) and derby (back), I had it made in bergeronette, a warm, light brown close to caramel. No burnishing so it looks even lighter for Spring and Summer days. And since this is TWAT there's that accompanying shot with the Patek 5040J. [​IMG]

5. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

RogerP - beautiful Omega. A classic dress watch in both looks and size.

6. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Senior member

Ha!

7. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:Now, now, you know that I meant The Watch Appreciation Thread! :)

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

It does depend on the item of course. Do I really care to go into a department store to buy more car wash soap, when I can get a better value (price/quantity) on line...no. As for Amazon, reviews can be helpful and I'II buy some things through them. However, I still like to go to a bookstore and buy a magazine I don't need a subscription to, or I may pick up a book that's on sale, read a little and if its of interest I might buy that too.
    It can be fun. In addition, sometimes if you build a good relationship with a SA, if they know you want a difficult to obtain watch and they get one in, they will call you.
    +1 For many years I had great contacts with a few ADs. I got great service and great deals, sent them lots of referrals (who also got service/deals) and I also got free tix to lots of events they sponsored. Overall it worked out nicely for everyone.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Quote: Kind of a fun variation on classic shoes. Nice choice Frills...and man that 5040 is just stunning!

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The strap is very hard to capture in a pic. It's an OE Patek croc in a very smart matte charcoal grey, and the contrasting stitching is a light dove grey. It's been sitting in my strap drawer (together with it's tan / honey-brown sibling) for probably over a year. I took both straps in partial trade against a watch I was selling and figured I'd easily work them into the rotation or else sell them. Too lazy to sell them, so I finally took the plastic off this one. Glad I did - the quality is superb and it suits the watch very well, I think.

This isn't a great pic of the watch (overexposed at the case and dial) but it does shoe the strap a bit better:

[​IMG]

11. in stitches

the best SAs, know how do treat a loyal customer.

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

True. And I have ben treated very well by the local ADs I have frequented over the years.

13. arkane

arkane Well-Known Member

That's the cleanest & sexiest vintage Omega I've ever seen. The size is perfect, the clean dial, and that blue seconds hand .... simply sublime!

[​IMG]

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

15. in stitches

roger - find me an omega identical to that. NAOW! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.