The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldcava

Coldcava Senior member

That Omega looks sharp. Nice work there.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Looks great, Roger - even though it's older than mine (early sixties?) by the look of those lovely lugs, the size is much more "modern". 38mm is perfect for a dress watch of any era, I'd say (on my wrist anyway). So clean and shiny too, and the strap looks perfect. Well done! Do you have some more info to share please?

3. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

I am now beginning to appreciate simple pieces like the Omega......I guess the Robert Browning phrase "less is more" applies to faultless piece above...

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks guys. Ilovelobbs - my taste in watches is pretty diverse, but when it comes to a dress watch, this Omega approximates my ideal. I do wish more companies (contemporary Omega included) would stop treating the dial like a billboard and keep things simple and clean). I have never been able to understand, for example, why the depth rating - in feet and meters no less - ever needs to be displayed on the dial. Surely the caseback would suffice for recording such information, assuming the owner had an impossibly short memory and wanted to check. [​IMG]

Mimo - I don't have much more info to share. The watch was purchased by a good friend of mine from Joseph Gisbert http://shop.joseph-watches.com/joseph/en/FMPro?-db=gaj.fp5&-format=index.html&-view

But that purchase was made 10 years ago and the little blurb with detailed info has been misplaced. Going by recollection, he believes the watch to be from the early sixties with the 30T2 (or some variation thereof) hand wind movement.

Another long time watch friend is a watch maker and authorized Omega service rep. I was going to send him the watch just to have him open it up and check on the condition (and he can date the movement accurately from the serial number) but a) it is running flawlessly and I have a 'don't mess with success' policy when it comes to servicing watches and b) I couldn't bear to be parted from it just yet.

5. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I'm not usually a fan of counter-stitching, but it's well done here. Nice buy - looks great. Wear in good health!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

roger - superb looking watch. thanks for the pics!!

if money was no object, i would do most of my shopping in person in B&M stores. i find the experience far more enjoyable, and, being able to try things on and not deal with shipping makes things a lot easier.

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Roger...that is FANTASTIC

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looks great! Thanks for the wrist shot. Looking at its size, hour markers, and lugs it looks like it could have been the inspiration for some of VC's Patrimony watches.
    Enjoy it and congrats!
    +1
    While I certainly understand people buying through the net and the savings or time it often provides on any good (clothing, cars, watches, etc). I find that if you are dealing with the right people, there is an intangible quality that goes beyond practical aspects of shopping in person (such as fit, ability to compare goods, and information you can learn from very knowledgeable sale people), which makes it more enjoyable to purchase from a B&M store than over the internet.

9. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Depends on the item. A luxury watch (or any luxury item, I suppose) this is true. But I would not underestimate the value of crowdsourced information ala Amazon reviews for other, more commodity-type items.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The temptation these days is to go into your oak-panelled, leather-scented, conveniently located luxury goods retailer, try everything on, exhaust the salesman's knowledge and preferably score a free coffee. Then go home and see where you can find what you wanted, cheapest. There is something to be said for loyalty of course, and developing a relationship with your favourite shop. But sometimes, the bottom line is the bottom line.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:fistbump:

regarding the bold: it. just. feels. good. its a great feeling going into a store that you like, talking to a SA or owner that appreciates the goods the way you do, schmoozing, looking at other stuff, being treated well.... the whole thing. even when i dont buy i always walk out feeling in a better mood. brings a smile to my face each time.

100% agree for purchases that are minor and you know exactly what you are getting. books, CDs, minor electronics....

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

:lol:

13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks again gents.

14. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

+1 ... the stitching actually looks gray on my monitor, in the color photo. Perhaps it's white or cream, but any way around it....I dig.

15. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

It's hard to hear sometimes but yes I think this is true. My preferred route is to go with an AD that I've come to trust, and offers me excellent service and yes, good prices. In exchange the AD gets my loyalty and referrals, so it's a win win. As many of you know, with many watches - even a few percentage points in discounts can mean sizable savings (which can be used for other more important things..)

So if I can find the exact same good/item elsewhere for considerably less at no risk to myself, then that's unfortunately the nature of sales. I weigh any savings/cash in my pocket versus the experience and relationship with my AD and make a judgement call. I've been up front with AD's about it, and we respect each other's time enough so there's never any hard feelings..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.