• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the blue dial really elevates that watch in my eyes.

I really like the blue dial version a lot. Although, I think someone here tried it on, and thought the blue dial was rather disappointing in person compared to in photos. IMHO, it may be their nicest sports watches to be offered since the original 222.

Looking at all the current sports watches, I feel like I will probably get a 38mm Laureato next =/ I considered paying grey market prices for the 41mm RO, but in the end it still feels like 41mm wears really big and aggressive. 39mm is absolutely the perfect size for the RO, with 37 and 41 having odd proportions but the price for the jumbo doesn't show any signs of abating for the next few years. The Overseas is also a tad large for what it is - IMO, the base 3 hander should be 39 instead of 41, given how plain the dial is.

There's also some sort of pleasant "laid-backness" to the Laureato I found surprisingly pleasing - despite the obvious comparisons to the RO, I think they genuinely wear very differently, kind of like sharp english tailoring vs italian tailoring.

View attachment 1628855

I have always liked the design of the Laureato, even with clear RO influence. I tried one on a few years ago, and my main issue was the bracelet. It was sort of a let down, in that to me the bracelet just didn't seem robust enough or well matched for the case. The bracelet seemed almost flimsy or not as high quality as the rest of the watch. It gave the watch a somewhat top heavy feel, rather than seeming well balanced. Still, it represents an interesting option for someone seeking an alternative to a RO, Nautilus or Overseas. I agree the time only Overseas seems a bit large. The Alpine Eagle I like the dial design/texturing and the bracelet. However the overall watch doesn't do anything for me. The bezel became boring as they rounded it off from the previous St. Moritz line, and I don't like Roman numerals or lumed Roman numerals on sports watches. They just don't look as clean and appropriate as stick markers (as evidenced by the RO, Nautilus, Overseas, and others). Wishing you luck and looking forward to seeing what you eventually choose.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can keep them I’ll go buy a 911 Turbo S so I can actually drive it rather than being a garage Queen. They do nothing for me same chassis since 2009 with outdated interior and change of model numbers.

The best both worlds is owning something from Porsche and Ferrari. A lot of Ferrari owners also own a Porsche or have owned Porsches. The difference being the current/recent 911 Turbo S is so easy to drive your grandmother can drive it, it does everything perfectly, but is far less engaging to drive. It wouldn't even be on my radar. I'd rather have a 930 Turbo, a 964 Turbo 3.6 or a 993 Turbo S than a modern Turbo S or a recent Porsche GT model. As for the current 911 Turbo S, meh...the new 992 Turbo S is blubbery and not very attractive. Anyway, my point was there are other products/companies where people have to buy other products or have customer history to get something particularly sought after (that is true of Porsche also). Foo is a rarity getting a GT3RS allocation without having a prior Porsche purchase history or paying significantly over MSRP . Anyway, I'll gladly own something from Porsche and Ferrari.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The best both worlds is owning something from Porsche and Ferrari. A lot of Ferrari owners also own a Porsche or have owned Porsches. The difference being the current/recent 911 Turbo S is so easy to drive your grandmother can drive it, it does everything perfectly, but is far less engaging to drive. It wouldn't even be on my radar. I'd rather have a 930 Turbo, a 964 Turbo 3.6 or a 993 Turbo S than a modern Turbo S or a recent Porsche GT model. As for the current 911 Turbo S, meh...the new 992 Turbo S is blubbery and not very attractive. Anyway, my point was there are other products/companies where people have to buy other products or have customer history to get something particularly sought after (that is true of Porsche also). Foo is a rarity getting a GT3RS allocation without having a prior Porsche purchase history or paying significantly over MSRP . Anyway, I'll gladly own something from Porsche and Ferrari.
What would you consider peak Ferrari?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. You need to look closer at what you’re paying for.

$15-20K for a completely machine-finished gold Reverso with a pedestrian, workmanlike movement is silly when you are within spitting distance of entry-level watches from makers like Lange, Breguet, VC, etc., that simply operate at a much higher level.
By your logic a Submariner fall into the same category……MSRP is creeping towards $10K for a steel watch with nothing special in it, right?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An independent that I think is killing it right now is H. Moser. Their watches are not cheap by any objective measure, but are a lot less expensive than many of their indie competitors. They have a distinct design language; you know a watch is a Moser without seeing the name on the dial.

The perpetual calendar is a beautiful study in minimalism:

HMoser_1341-0207_p-362x562.png

The Streamliner is a rare luxury sports watch that doesn't take design cues from a Genta creation:

HMoser_6200-1200_Streamliner_CS_MG_product-362x562.png

an draoi

Reaction score
When you see a Nautilus, the owner may be a huge watch nerd (pre 2015 owner), or a massive douche (post 2015 owner).

Presumably you have similar views on the wearer of [every Rolex sports watch], although I guess the cut-off date might differ.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
By your logic a Submariner fall into the same category……MSRP is creeping towards $10K for a steel watch with nothing special in it, right?

Totally different kinds of watches. Part of what you are paying for in a Rolex is sporty/durable design and bullet-proof reliability (well, as close as possible in the world of mechanical watches). That is a different aim versus packing in complications into a dressy watch, which puts JLC against the traditional heavy-hitting makers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does it get anymore peak Ferrari?

Ferrari has served different paradigms over the years. Traditionally, road-going Ferraris were always GT-ish sports cars. Then they introduced mid-engine road cars and things bifurcated between hard-edged sports cars and much cushier front-engined grand tourers. So, what’s more Ferrari? If going by Enzo’s original vision, “peak” Ferrari road car is something equally sporty, elegant and comfortable—not an F40.

an draoi

Reaction score
Came with titanium bracelet, bought a omega blue nato and a blue denim strap and then this brown from omega .

I think this strap looks the best out of all the ones I have View attachment 1628448
I have the same strap for my 57 Speedmaster Coaxial and I really like it. Looks good on yours too!
Anyone use G shock?
Am I thinking about buying one, just to use it on the summer beach and in nature, or should I opt for a more elegant diver watch?
As they are all so big I was thinking about buying a smaller and square DW-5600
ac5185f23e2784cccf63f757e11dae2b
I have a couple of the 5600 variants. Find myself wearing them more than any other watches at the moment... put one on in the morning to wear for the gym or a run, and then don't bother changing it later. Be aware that the silver digits on the black background look (tacti)cool, but are a bugger to read in anything other than bright conditions.
EDIT: I should have said, I really like having a basically indestructible watch for activities for which I wouldn't want to wear even my most robust "proper" watch (in my case, an Explorer 1). I say go for it.

Last edited:

an draoi

Reaction score
My policy is up for renewal next month so it's going to be an interesting conversation with the broker about the Nautilus.

Please do inform post discussion. I'd be very interested.

So I finally got round to getting a professional valuation for my 5711, as required by my insurance broker.

£119,000

ffs

Deeky

Reaction score

Hardly the same. MSRP 10k from any established high end brand gets you exactly what you get from Rolex: a steel watch with an in-house movement, machine finished.

JLC's gold watches are basically machined finished without any haute horology touches at a price point against competitors (Breuget, ALS etc) which offer haute horology as a starting point. There really isnt any value proposition there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads