• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jesus fucking Christ, thus guy. Look, I would draw it for you, if I could. Here's what I mean:

Me seeing the JLC master calendar chrono in steel: "Oh, nice."
Me seeing the same watch but in rose gold: "OOOOOOH SHIT ME NEEDS NOW!"

That's value for me. Period. Value = I love it. Fuck other brands. Fuck other less "pedestrian" watches. Fuck the less finished "workmanlike" movements.
Explains a lot about your watches.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this watch recently. It is a fantastic value. My only gripe is the lone numeral at 12 o’clock, but if that doesn’t bother you, there’s not much else to complain about.

That said, it’s not unusual for a watch to need regulation and losing eight seconds a day is hardly egregious. In fact, if it’s consistently losing eight seconds, the watch is very precise! Much harder to be precise than randomly accurate.

JLC watches in gold make no sense. The value proposition is completely wiped out.
Unfortunately the Zenith wasn't even consistent in its time loss. The first day I measured it it lost a more reasonable 4 seconds, then the next day it was 6 and finally got to 8. If it was at least consistent I assume it may have been a less involved process of regulation as opposed to what may have required an adjustment/service and I've only heard horror stories of LVMH's US service department (and this probably wouldn't have been helped by the watch being a new release with a new movement) so I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Definitely agree on the JLC's value proposition. Even at MSRP you're getting a fair bit of watch for the coin but additional discounts on JLC aren't usually hard to come by so that combined with the fact that I'm buying it out of state (and therefore have no sales tax either) makes it pretty hard to pass up for the price.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Zenith wasn't even consistent in its time loss. The first day I measured it it lost a more reasonable 4 seconds, then the next day it was 6 and finally got to 8. If it was at least consistent I assume it may have been a less involved process of regulation as opposed to what may have required an adjustment/service and I've only heard horror stories of LVMH's US service department (and this probably wouldn't have been helped by the watch being a new release with a new movement) so I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

Definitely agree on the JLC's value proposition. Even at MSRP you're getting a fair bit of watch for the coin but additional discounts on JLC aren't usually hard to come by so that combined with the fact that I'm buying it out of state (and therefore have no sales tax either) makes it pretty hard to pass up for the price.
Wow sucks about the Zenith. Good luck if you go the JLC route.

Unfortunately, there is always risk that a new watch will need regulation/adjustment. Even more unfortunately, service across Richemont and LVMH is fairly uniformly bad.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow sucks about the Zenith. Good luck if you go the JLC route.

Unfortunately, there is always risk that a new watch will need regulation/adjustment. Even more unfortunately, service across Richemont and LVMH is fairly uniformly bad.
Ah, that's really a shame. I'm sure the consolidation of most watchmakers into large luxury groups has had great benefits for the bottom line through cost savings but I have to imagine the post-sales service experienced has largely suffered across the board from when they were independent. It seems like it may just be better to find a good independent servicer to handle maintenance than deal with most of the big luxury brands' shops.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah, that's really a shame. I'm sure the consolidation of most watchmakers into large luxury groups has had great benefits for the bottom line through cost savings but I have to imagine the post-sales service experienced has largely suffered across the board from when they were independent. It seems like it may just be better to find a good independent servicer to handle maintenance than deal with most of the big luxury brands' shops.
Yes, exactly. Richemont, for example, now handles most servicing across all brands (with some exceptions for Lange, VC, etc.) at a single facility in Texas. Before 2010 or so, each brand handled service on its own. You can imagine how quality has trended since.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.