• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 6119R/G?

I know the Ref. 6119 is a bit of a hodge-podge, but it does come together for me.

What is kind of interesting, at least to me, is how self-referential Patek has become. By way of example, the 6119 has the hobnail bezel of 1972's Ref, 3520D and 1985's Ref. 3919 and the "obus" markers of 1932's Ref. 96. It also is inspired by the lugs of 1932's Ref. 96. It also throws in a railroad minute track, and a sectored seconds dial. Similarly, the case of the Ref. 5236P is intended to harken back to the Ref. 3448, etc.

At times, in my view, Patek perhaps combines one two many attributes of these prior references without adding new design conventions (although I do love some of Patek's case work. which is often novel). And, at times, these attributes, when combined on one watch, feel discordant.

Rolex, on the other hand, has done a great job of keeping the DNA of its watches in tact and subtly changing the references over time.

Yes, sorry, I was just apeing TheFoo's style to pile on his critique of the 6119, but I agree with his post and think the 6119 is worse than even he described. Like you said, 6119 is like a greatest hits of Patek elements, but it results in a mishmash. I think Patek should have gone with this using its new movement and bigger case size (3796D). I think a big size version of this would sell well (not that 6119 won't). 5236P I kinda like.

1618378292870.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Omega dropped a Tokyo Olympics Seamaster 300M Pro but this one was actually tastefully done. No Olympic branding on the dial. It’s all on the caseback.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish GS wouldn’t put their name on the front twice. Either the initials or the full name, but why both?

And they should drop that vaguely Gothic font that has nothing to do with their design language. Seriously, it's incredible they came up with that in the first place. It's as if someone went "hmm, how do we make ourselves appealing to oldtimey watchmaking fans? Ah yes! This will do nicely!"

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And they should drop that vaguely Gothic font that has nothing to do with their design language. Seriously, it's incredible they came up with that in the first place. It's as if someone went "hmm, how do we make ourselves appealing to oldtimey watchmaking fans? Ah yes! This will do nicely!"
Probably best if you don't look up where Credor came from.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we are on the subject of ugly Pateks, it is time to post a photo of my one and only.

I had both 5712 and 5960 at the same time and with the tick up in the prices, sold the 5712 kept the 5960 -as I find it less probe to scratches etc...

View attachment 1592791

If you're going to own one steel Patek, this is the one to have IMO.

pmeis

Reaction score
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

View attachment 1592642
Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.

That‘s a cool one, though pretty big.

I have the SBGA429. What is keeping me from wearing is it’s “inbetweeness”. Not quite sporty enough to be a sports watch, not thin enough to be a dress watch and In general, just thicker than I want a 39mm time and date watch to be. It should be a more elegant watch, but it just isn’t for me.

I definitely appreciate the finishing and dial work and think the Spring Drive is really cool, but ultimately If I go GS again, it will be either one or their manual wound dress watches or one of their straight up sportier GMT pieces with lume. The metal bracelet, no lume pieces ultimately just don’t jive with my preferences.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads