• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

reidd

Reaction score
Since we are on the subject of ugly Pateks, it is time to post a photo of my one and only.

I had both 5712 and 5960 at the same time and with the tick up in the prices, sold the 5712 kept the 5960 -as I find it less probe to scratches etc...

View attachment 1592791
If you're going to own one steel Patek, this is the one to have IMO.

pmeis

Reaction score
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

View attachment 1592642
Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.
That‘s a cool one, though pretty big.

I have the SBGA429. What is keeping me from wearing is it’s “inbetweeness”. Not quite sporty enough to be a sports watch, not thin enough to be a dress watch and In general, just thicker than I want a 39mm time and date watch to be. It should be a more elegant watch, but it just isn’t for me.

I definitely appreciate the finishing and dial work and think the Spring Drive is really cool, but ultimately If I go GS again, it will be either one or their manual wound dress watches or one of their straight up sportier GMT pieces with lume. The metal bracelet, no lume pieces ultimately just don’t jive with my preferences.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got this for my wife for her birthday a few years ago and its so nice I debated on keeping it for myself. For those of you whom are married, you know the consequences of an action like that, so that should tell you how little justice pictures do this watch.
That sounds like a crafty way of getting wife approval for watch purchases so long as you're not buying something like a 47 mm Panerai. "But honey, this watch is for both of us!"

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a crafty way of getting wife approval for watch purchases so long as you're not buying something like a 47 mm Panerai. "But honey, this watch is for both of us!"
I would love to wear that Santos, but if I tried, she'd tell me to go fuck myself...

Also, she only likes Cartier and Patek, and she'll only wear yellow gold. I would need to work harder in life to make that comfortably happen and I'm more interested in building a house, getting good at golf again and spending time with my kid, so no more watches for her for some time...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@gomestar raised the interesting topic of his and hers watches. When my wife and I were looking at watches to celebrate our 10th anniversary a couple years ago, we had our eyes on a matching Rolex Day-Date and diamond-dialed Datejust. However, we eventually moved toward the idea of a complementary pairing as opposed to a matching one, and wound up with a white gold Patek 5296 and Cartier Tank Louis Cartier in white gold with diamonds.

E076F702-E5F5-4D68-9A75-6E9FF928257A.jpeg

Do you guys think these two watches
complement each other well? What other two complementary, but not matching, watches do you think work as a his and hers pair?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the Patek and Cartier his and hers combo is superb.
Thanks. A neat thing about the pair: our tenth anniversary was the only year where you could get both watches. It was the last year you could buy a new 5296 and the only year Cartier made that anniversary edition of the Tank LC.

We hadn’t thought about that at the time, but the it feels fated now!

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry, I was just apeing TheFoo's style to pile on his critique of the 6119, but I agree with his post and think the 6119 is worse than even he described. Like you said, 6119 is like a greatest hits of Patek elements, but it results in a mishmash. I think Patek should have gone with this using its new movement and bigger case size (3796D). I think a big size version of this would sell well (not that 6119 won't). 5236P I kinda like.

View attachment 1592741
Maybe I just have bad taste but I find the 6119 pretty convincing. I agree that it is a mishmash, but I think it is rather endearing.

1618420561829.png

1618421637472.png

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%