• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested, too. A Santos has been on my radar for a while now, and if my AD does not offer me a 36mm Explorer in a reasonable amount of time, I will probably buy a Santos instead. If they put this solar movement in the Santos, I would be all over it ("gimmick" or not). If they did, I suppose it would be more likely to be in the Santos-Dumont line rather than the Santos de Cartier line.

Also, for those of you who have or had the Santos, does it wear larger than expected due to the case shape? Looks like the medium is 35.1mm and the large is 39.8mm. If I bought it, I think I'd prefer no date, but it looks like the large version comes with a date and the medium does not.
They wear larger than their measurements suggest, due to the case shape. However the case back and lugs are curved to hug the wrist and its a very comfortable watch to wear. I tried the medium and the large, and while I liked that the medium had no date, I felt it was just a touch small for me and the bracelet seemed a bit narrower at the top of the watch case than what I wished it were. Still certainly a great watch in the medium size. As I think Mak said, the large Santos wears sort of like a Sub. Also, if one gets a blue dial or an ALDC dial the dark date wheel makes the fact that the date is there less obtrusive. While I don't need a date and in theory would have preferred no date, it has come in handy and I'm used to it so it doesn't bother me.

I don’t own it though like you, it’s on my radar. I’ve tried the medium on and it actually has good wrist presence. It felt like a larger watch. Perhaps it’s the shape of the case.
Yes, its the shape of the case. When you try on watches that are round, they have no corners to the case, just lugs that flow out from the rounded case. So even though the diameter is the same as a round watch, a square case looks larger to the eye. I've noticed this with my other square and rectangular watches.

pmeis

Reaction score
To me only the "Santos Dumont" is dressy. The Santos (Santos de Cartier) is a luxury sports watch. I've never viewed it as dress watch. The entire history behind the Santos was it is the first tool watch, designed for aviator Alberto Santo Dumont so he could operate the controls on early aviation machines so his hands would be free to operate the controls.
I basically agree with you. If I wanted a pure dress watch, I would definitely consider a Dumont. While I agree the Santos is definitely a luxury sports watch, the roman numerals give it an air of formality to my eyes that other luxury sport watches don't quite have and with that in mind, I'd rather wear/own a more modestly sized version, like the medium, for my wrist.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically agree with you. If I wanted a pure dress watch, I would definitely consider a Dumont. While I agree the Santos is definitely a luxury sports watch, the roman numerals give it an air of formality to my eyes that other luxury sport watches don't quite have and with that in mind, I'd rather wear/own a more modestly sized version, like the medium, for my wrist.
I suppose I can see your point with the Romans, particularly with the white dial I can see it having an bit more formality than the dark dial ones, especially compared to the ADLC models. Then again, Cartier being Cartier, they have used Romans at times on their sports watches like older Pashas.

1618326822093.png

1618326869625.png

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing this reintroduced in a non limited edition:

View attachment 1592267

Doesn't have to be platinum either.
what's dis?
The orangy-salmon dial is awesome.

Yeah, a salmon and white gold Pateks, of any sorts, always has my eye. I think it's because I'm a sucker for the coral pink paint that Fender used on custom color guitars in the early days (not a John Mayer reference).

That blue dial is great too. And yeah, medium as well, my daily is a 39mm Explorer, so this is would be something sort of similar yet different.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
False. It is a total travesty for all of the reasons you point out. But you miss the biggest offense--the hands. The rest of the watch, while a mishmash, is still Patek. These hands look like they are borrowed from Vacheron and lose all of the beauty of the classic Patek sword hands. This watch sucks bad.
Are you talking about the 6119R/G?

I know the Ref. 6119 is a bit of a hodge-podge, but it does come together for me.

What is kind of interesting, at least to me, is how self-referential Patek has become. By way of example, the 6119 has the hobnail bezel of 1972's Ref, 3520D and 1985's Ref. 3919 and the "obus" markers of 1932's Ref. 96. It also is inspired by the lugs of 1932's Ref. 96. It also throws in a railroad minute track, and a sectored seconds dial. Similarly, the case of the Ref. 5236P is intended to harken back to the Ref. 3448, etc.

At times, in my view, Patek perhaps combines one two many attributes of these prior references without adding new design conventions (although I do love some of Patek's case work. which is often novel). And, at times, these attributes, when combined on one watch, feel discordant.

Rolex, on the other hand, has done a great job of keeping the DNA of its watches in tact and subtly changing the references over time.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.
I want to freaking frame this

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
third, has HODINKEE ever written something critical of a new timepiece? They seem to have their head up every manufacturers ass. Their reviews are reminding me of those Gene Shalit movie reviews; never a bad word.
LOL "In short, the AP Black Panther is a A Piece of art! I can't "Pan" it! You'll be "Black" for more!"

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness i'm poor. I can't imagine the stupid shit i would buy without having to take time and think about things for a while first. This process of being poor and having to aspire to things gives me the opportunity to think clearly and filter out whims for actual good taste.
like buying digitally stored artwork for millions of dollars and first edition tweets?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With their cringe worthy Submariner video, they have a good template to work with. Just needs solid creative direction on how to blend the ideas together for the AP.
is this the one where the two reviewers are sitting outside in the middle of the winter, pretending to eat a half frozen pizza with their masks on?

Presumably because reviewing the new Rolex is so important that the risk of Covid or pneumonia are outweighed by it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was surprised when I checked today that the Tyson’s galleria doesn’t have an Hermès boutique. I never actually go into DC proper so I’m no competition.
The Ti/DLC watches with strap are again available on the Hermès website if you're okay with buying blind.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this the one where the two reviewers are sitting outside in the middle of the winter, pretending to eat a half frozen pizza with their masks on?
Link?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.