• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

View attachment 1592642
Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.

You always use good GIFS. I commend you for that.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which Grand Seiko? I become more and more interested every time I start looking at photos online or the real thing in person. I went by and bought an Oris this afternoon, and while the SA was sizing the bracelet I was browsing the GS collection. One caught my eye I had never seen before online or anywhere else: the SBGJ239

View attachment 1592642
Looks really cool in person with the sapphire crystal bezel. Color/render on the GS website doesn't do it justice. It's a very dark, forest green.

I wish GS wouldn’t put their name on the front twice. Either the initials or the full name, but why both?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1592642

I really like some of the Grand Seiko line, I just wish they could make their watches thinner. That doesnt seem like an unreasonable request given some of the innovations they've come up with and the number of movements they've published.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish GS wouldn’t put their name on the front twice. Either the initials or the full name, but why both?
It's just the logo they chose I guess. JLC does the same thing (although it's JL).

chocomallo

Reaction score
Are you talking about the 6119R/G?

I know the Ref. 6119 is a bit of a hodge-podge, but it does come together for me.

What is kind of interesting, at least to me, is how self-referential Patek has become. By way of example, the 6119 has the hobnail bezel of 1972's Ref, 3520D and 1985's Ref. 3919 and the "obus" markers of 1932's Ref. 96. It also is inspired by the lugs of 1932's Ref. 96. It also throws in a railroad minute track, and a sectored seconds dial. Similarly, the case of the Ref. 5236P is intended to harken back to the Ref. 3448, etc.

At times, in my view, Patek perhaps combines one two many attributes of these prior references without adding new design conventions (although I do love some of Patek's case work. which is often novel). And, at times, these attributes, when combined on one watch, feel discordant.

Rolex, on the other hand, has done a great job of keeping the DNA of its watches in tact and subtly changing the references over time.
Yes, sorry, I was just apeing TheFoo's style to pile on his critique of the 6119, but I agree with his post and think the 6119 is worse than even he described. Like you said, 6119 is like a greatest hits of Patek elements, but it results in a mishmash. I think Patek should have gone with this using its new movement and bigger case size (3796D). I think a big size version of this would sell well (not that 6119 won't). 5236P I kinda like.

1618378292870.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Omega dropped a Tokyo Olympics Seamaster 300M Pro but this one was actually tastefully done. No Olympic branding on the dial. It’s all on the caseback.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And they should drop that vaguely Gothic font that has nothing to do with their design language. Seriously, it's incredible they came up with that in the first place. It's as if someone went "hmm, how do we make ourselves appealing to oldtimey watchmaking fans? Ah yes! This will do nicely!"

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And they should drop that vaguely Gothic font that has nothing to do with their design language. Seriously, it's incredible they came up with that in the first place. It's as if someone went "hmm, how do we make ourselves appealing to oldtimey watchmaking fans? Ah yes! This will do nicely!"
Probably best if you don't look up where Credor came from.

alpyigit

Reaction score
Since we are on the subject of ugly Pateks, it is time to post a photo of my one and only.

I had both 5712 and 5960 at the same time and with the tick up in the prices, sold the 5712 kept the 5960 -as I find it less prone to scratches etc...

fullsizeoutput_4044.jpeg

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Summer Loafers: With or Without Socks?

• With socks

• No socks

Results are only viewable after voting.