• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a grey shetland. Should I go the Drake's route? Or J Press? Some other brand? If I'm willing to spend up to the Drake's $295, what should I be considering?

Drake's Shetlands=very pricey without additional quality to match. Many other options to consider.

nprose

Reaction score
I personally favor non-cabled shetlands because the textured, marled nature of the yarn creates enough visual interest , and cables would be a bit much. I prefer cable knits on their own or over a shirt, but not under a sportcoat. I think plain knits look better under tailoring.
Interesting, I hardly every wear sport coats and have zero tailoring. More than likely I would wear the sweater over a shirt.

keepondigging

Reaction score
Harley make their shetlands so just grab one of theirs if you want the same quality for a lower price. I do believe Drake's are a shorter cut though, which is more friendly to less lankier chaps who prefer a higher waisted trouser. If that type of cut is ideal for you then pay up.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Interesting, I hardly every wear sport coats and have zero tailoring. More than likely I would wear the sweater over a shirt.

I like cable knit sweaters, but not cable knit shetlands. They are flimsier and don't hold their shape as well, and regular shetlands have enough visual interest as is.

tjs121

Reaction score
developing a drake’s scarf problem (not enough scarves)

Attachments

• B11E8942-18E8-4FE8-8CE0-B89205D97CA9.jpeg
    B11E8942-18E8-4FE8-8CE0-B89205D97CA9.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 364

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into Drake's prices recently? For example, I was looking at their Aurora shoes and they increased from $198 to $270 a few weeks ago, but now are back down to $198. I was hoping to get their braided belt in brown, but it's now $345, up from $280 or so (if I recall correctly). That's a bit beyond my budget for a belt, so I'm wondering if I should wait for the price to decrease or look elsewhere (if looking elsewhere, any advice on a similar belt would be appreciated). Thanks!

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight into Drake's prices recently? For example, I was looking at their Aurora shoes and they increased from $198 to $270 a few weeks ago, but now are back down to $198. I was hoping to get their braided belt in brown, but it's now $345, up from $280 or so (if I recall correctly). That's a bit beyond my budget for a belt, so I'm wondering if I should wait for the price to decrease or look elsewhere (if looking elsewhere, any advice on a similar belt would be appreciated). Thanks!

I think Drakes' pricing is garbage right now. I bought the suede chore coat last year for $1595 and it is now $1985 which is an extra $390. I also bought their jeans for $375, now $450. The Armoury is selling the same Wakouwa canvas sneakers for $185 while drakes sells it for $225. I really like Drakes but how they are pricing things now puts me away from the brand.

Last edited:

Trevallon

Reaction score
I can't really comment on their pricing (though some people have done so in this thread...) but I can highly recommend the Aurora shoes. I bought them when they were still 195 € on their site. I have gotten more compliments on them than I would ever have thought possible. I bought them for reasons of comfort more than for style but apparently, people notice and like them.

Reaction score

I genuinely and naïvely want to believe that this [updates on pricing this big] is driven purely because of inflation and energetic components being accounted into the cost of creating these products, rather than cruel capitalism on a brand that sells so well that may have bigger margins. (Just look at Aime Leon Dore's pricing now and 2 years ago).

cedarlake23

Reaction score
I think Drakes' pricing is garbage right now. I bought the suede chore coat last year for $1595 and it is now $1985 which is an extra $390. I also bought their jeans for $375, now $450. The Armoury is selling the same Wakouwa canvas sneakers for $185 while drakes sells it for $225. I really like Drakes but how they are pricing things now puts me away from the brand.
Yeah, definitely makes me want to buy stuff soon in case of price increases like that!

I can't really comment on their pricing (though some people have done so in this thread...) but I can highly recommend the Aurora shoes. I bought them when they were still 195 € on their site. I have gotten more compliments on them than I would ever have thought possible. I bought them for reasons of comfort more than for style but apparently, people notice and like them.
Totally agree! I bought a pair when they went back down to $198 and I'm very satisfied. They fit my style while wearing shorts more than loafers, which for me sometimes feels too fratty. I like their simple, soft design. Also very comfortable and $198 is a good value, too.

I genuinely and naïvely want to believe that this [updates on pricing this big] is driven purely because of inflation and energetic components being accounted into the cost of creating these products, rather than cruel capitalism on a brand that sells so well that may have bigger margins. (Just look at Aime Leon Dore's pricing now and 2 years ago).
Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from and it seems likely these price increases are coming from being able to capture higher margins. But I also get that they're a company like any other trying to earn a profit, so it makes sense from that perspective. My comment was less towards the flat price increases, but rather I noticed price fluctuations with those shoes, so I was wondering if anyone had experience with other products changing prices up and down. I really want that belt, so I'd wait out for it if it's possible the price would decrease in the future.

Henry S

Reaction score
If you ship to "Rest of World" the price is £187.50 (VAT deducted) + £20 shipping (and local taxes).
I would contact Drake's, might be a price error.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L