• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
After much indecision, or rather waiting for archive sales that never included this jacket, which eventually sold out in early summer, but then came back a few weeks ago, I finally bit the bullet on this at full retail. All the details are spot on, as always, and it's the hardware (or rather its placement in the design) that really elevated the piece for me into something I'd consider spending that kind of money on. This is a size up from my typical 42, but I've taken a 44 in my last two chore jackets and prefer it. Thoughts? View attachment 1662040

Looks good on you. Length is good. You could roll back the sleeves a bit, that’s what I do with my linnen chore jacket. Mine is a 42 and I typically always buy 42 with Drake’s. Yours is the nicest looking chore jacket from the last few months imho!

I own the suede chore coat in a size 38, same size as drakes tailoring and it fits great. I also roll back the sleeves just a bit and the fit is good. Your fit looks good too!

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
So, I was waiting what Drake’s would bring re autumn jackets, and while I was hoping for/expecting another iteration of the D-43 I now see they are bringing this waxed coat!

Anyone with an older Drake’s waxed coat that they would care to share their opinions on? Is the price premium over say Barbour justified?

View attachment 1662172

I own this wax jacket from drakes and it is beautiful, with all its details. Some Drakes stuff is overpriced but the details and quality never lack. I also own a Classic Barbour Bedale, and its a solid great jacket, I can see why some people love Barbour. Thinking of getting a Beacon next lol. I would not get the drakes one at full price, although I am sure its a great jacket too

1630599980680.png

blue peter

Reaction score
Hi, all. Just received the dark brown corduroy suit from the perennials line and the jacket sleeves, as feared, are almost an inch short. I predicted this and called ahead to discuss with the shopkeeper in London who assured me letting out the sleeve shouldn’t be an issue for a tailor. Before I take the plunge, I would love to know if anyone else had a similar experience and if letting out worked. Was it a problem for the tailor, was there a noticeable mark/crease in the corduroy from the original fold? Any other advice welcome ?? Many thanks ✌?

Last edited:

wahnamhong

Reaction score
I own this wax jacket from drakes and it is beautiful, with all its details.
This is what I’ve been afraid of lmao... :) Thing is I already have a Barbour classic Beaufort, but for some reason I feel like an old man wearing it. The Drake’s otoh seems pretty perfect, especially in this blueish colour. Gonna wait a few weeks to see what other autumnal jackets are coming in, but otherwise I might jump on the waxed coat.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Just received the dark brown corduroy suit from the perennials line and the jacket sleeves, as feared, are almost an inch short. I predicted this and called ahead to discuss with the shopkeeper in London who assured me letting out the sleeve shouldn’t be an issue for a tailor. Before I take the plunge, I would love to know if anyone else had a similar experience and if letting out worked. Was it a problem for the tailor, was there a noticeable mark/crease in the corduroy from the original fold? Any other advise welcome ?? Many thanks ✌?

I can’t speak for this piece but I’ve had dark brown corduroy items let out at multiple points and no visible markings or fading etc unless you literally put your nose up to it.

Flight Of Ideas

Reaction score
Alright a question for you guys. I really like the new sport coats that are online and I‘m considering a Tweed one. Sadly I can‘t visit a Drake‘s store just yet. I did try the Fawn Summer Tweed Jacket that I‘ve purchased in the Archive Sale but that one wasn‘t that - in terms of feeling and fit. Now I know that the Summer Tweeds can sometimes be a bit different than their Winter counterparts and I do have an older Drake‘s SC (Belvest era, hopsack) that I absolutely adore. Can anyome chime in and share their experience? I do have the possibility of ordering and returning but that‘s quite a hassle not being from the UK or EU in terms of shipping and fees. Thanks!

Mujib

Reaction score
I don’t see any of their usual overshirts on the website. Do they appear later in the season?

I’m looking for something like this:

If you have a medium or large you’re willing to sell, please let me know.

keepondigging

Reaction score
Drake's have discontinued that model of overshirt unfortunately. Its a big shame as that pattern with the pleated pockets was one of the best and most versatile things they ever did imo.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drake's have discontinued that model of overshirt unfortunately. Its a big shame as that pattern with the pleated pockets was one of the best and most versatile things they ever did imo.
You can still have it done MTO, though. I had one made up in linen this past summer

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As K Nights says, MTO, just email them.

For OTR: my gut tells me that overshirt model may not be permanently discontinued.

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score

aww the overshirts were great. Maybe they are focusing more on the chore coats which are also great, just more expensive

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Alright a question for you guys. I really like the new sport coats that are online and I‘m considering a Tweed one. Sadly I can‘t visit a Drake‘s store just yet. I did try the Fawn Summer Tweed Jacket that I‘ve purchased in the Archive Sale but that one wasn‘t that - in terms of feeling and fit. Now I know that the Summer Tweeds can sometimes be a bit different than their Winter counterparts and I do have an older Drake‘s SC (Belvest era, hopsack) that I absolutely adore. Can anyome chime in and share their experience? I do have the possibility of ordering and returning but that‘s quite a hassle not being from the UK or EU in terms of shipping and fees. Thanks!

I tried the grey herringbone Harris tweed in the Savile Row store recently. I assume it’s the one on the current website although it was marked £200 more. I liked it a lot, although the pricing is egregious for such a garment. One point in its favour for me (but maybe not for others) as it was at least a centimetre longer in the body than the other jackets being sold. I was told by the assistant that the tweeds have a slightly softer and drapier cut and are indeed a touch longer. That’s good for me as I have a 40" chest but am 6ft1" tall so find most things a little short on the body.

Mujib

Reaction score
As K Nights says, MTO, just email them.

For OTR: my gut tells me that overshirt model may not be permanently discontinued.
I emailed them. They said it’s an in-store service only. Not planning on going to NY anytime soon, so I guess I’m out of luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads