• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
This is my exact experience with Laurence Odie v. Harley shetlands. I have 5 Odies and 4 Harleys in rotation, and the Harleys are all knit considerably thinner.

Do you have any idea why/how the Harleys are knit thinner than the Odies? I know they all use the same JC Rennie yarn, and the ply looks similar to my eyes. I think the Harleys are knit more “open” but how is this achieved? Less tension on the machine?

I could be wrong, but I think Odie uses Jamieson's yarn. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of making knitwear to comment further.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think Odie uses Jamieson's yarn. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of making knitwear to comment further.

I think it varies but is mostly Rennie?

For example, O’Connell’s sells shetlands that appear to use both Rennie yarns and Jamieson yarns. You can see this by checking the URL of the product page. The Jamieson yarn shetlands (which appear to be a minority) have Jamieson in the url.
See: https://oconnellsclothing.com/sweat...sweater-heather-marl-238-jamieson-osprey.html

The Rennie ones do not, but you can check the yarn/color name in the URL (which sometimes differ from the actual product color name) against the Rennie cones or the Bosie shade cards and they’re all the same.
See: https://oconnellsclothing.com/sweat...h-shetland-wool-sweater-autumn-770-turin.html
vs.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I think it varies but is mostly Rennie?

For example, O’Connell’s sells shetlands that appear to use both Rennie yarns and Jamieson yarns. You can see this by checking the URL of the product page. The Jamieson yarn shetlands (which appear to be a minority) have Jamieson in the url.
See: https://oconnellsclothing.com/sweat...sweater-heather-marl-238-jamieson-osprey.html

The Rennie ones do not, but you can check the yarn/color name in the URL (which sometimes differ from the actual product color name) against the Rennie cones or the Bosie shade cards and they’re all the same.
See: https://oconnellsclothing.com/sweat...h-shetland-wool-sweater-autumn-770-turin.html
vs.

Hmmm. Looking at Rennie's and Bosie's website, my guess would be that Harley uses the Supersoft (pretty sure on this point) and Odie doesn't (less sure on this point). Not sure if the Supersoft is actually Shetland.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Any info on who makes Anderson&Sheppard's and also Howlin's @TheShetlandSweater ?

Nope. A&S say theirs are knitted in the Shetland Isles, so it could be either Jamieson's or Odie (or some other manufacturer entirely).

One thing I want to emphasize, though, is that all these makers are good. There are differences, but I have never gotten a Shetland and not been happy with it. I have gotten Shetlands that have differed from my expectations, but never in a bad way. If you want to know what you are getting ahead of time, buy in-person, or buy from a brand where you know the maker, or buy from a brand you have experience with. O'Connell's stocks Odie Shetlands in a ton of colors. Bosie stocks Harleys in a ton of colors and can also knit to order. End stocks Jamieson's in a ton of colors (and also brushed Odies under the name Shetland Woollen Co.). Ben Silver sells a Lockie "Shetland" in several colors. There are plenty of other stores that sell these makers. I can list more if desired.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. A&S say theirs are knitted in the Shetland Isles, so it could be either Jamieson's or Odie (or some other manufacturer entirely).

One thing I want to emphasize, though, is that all these makers are good. There are differences, but I have never gotten a Shetland and not been happy with it. I have gotten Shetlands that have differed from my expectations, but never in a bad way. If you want to know what you are getting ahead of time, buy in-person, or buy from a brand where you know the maker, or buy from a brand you have experience with. O'Connell's stocks Odie Shetlands in a ton of colors. Bosie stocks Harleys in a ton of colors and can also knit to order. End stocks Jamieson's in a ton of colors (and also brushed Odies under the name Shetland Woollen Co.). Ben Silver sells a Lockie "Shetland" in several colors. There are plenty of other stores that sell these makers. I can list more if desired.
I prefer the denser Odie shetlands for sure, but agree Harleys are probably just as well made. I’ve blown out the armpits of both (do I just not know how to remove a sweater?).

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any info on who makes Anderson&Sheppard's and also Howlin's @TheShetlandSweater ?

I don’t know the story of Morrison knitting but I can simply vouch for Howlin. I have two shaggy type sweaters and a thicker donegal rollneck. Love them all and they get quite a bit of wear in the winter. The crewnecks are woven fairly open though.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I prefer the denser Odie shetlands for sure, but agree Harleys are probably just as well made. I’ve blown out the armpits of both (do I just not know how to remove a sweater?).

Can't say I've ever had that problem. I prefer Odies when the sweater will be the outermost layer. I like Harley better with tailoring because it doesn't cover up the higher-rise on pants as much, and because they are a little less warm. I also have two Harleys in 6 ply from Bosie, one brushed and one not. Those look great as an outer-most layer (the brushed one is particularly awesome) but they stopped making them. Brushing on the 6 ply apparently destroyed the teasels. It's a real shame, because it's arguably my favorite sweater. Bosie still makes 4 ply Shetlands, though.

nostalgiaultra

Reaction score
(See The Armory shawl collar cardigan from Lockie (I think) that fits very differently from other shawl collared cardigans from Lockie)

So an S&C Shetland purchased from Drakes may be very different in style, fit etc. from an S&C sweater purchased somewhere else.

How is the Armoury/Drake's shawl cardigan different from the Lockie Windsor shawl cardigan besides colour options? I own a Lockie Windsor shawl and based off the size charts, the sizing seems to be identical for The Armoury, Drake's and Lockie. Visually they appear the same, as well as material (geelong wool or cashmere) so I'm just curious...

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My favourites are Howlin's for two reasons: fit and finish. I'm looking for the rollneck version in off-white, dark brown and olive green colours but thery are either out of stock or not available this year.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favourites are Howlin's for two reasons: fit and finish. I'm looking for the rollneck version in off-white, dark brown and olive green colours but thery are either out of stock or not available this year.
If you’re just looking for the base Shetland rollneck in those colors try Bosie? You just missed the shade card MTO run, but times are lean and Juliet is nice, so she might be amenable to a one-off order.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
How is the Armoury/Drake's shawl cardigan different from the Lockie Windsor shawl cardigan besides colour options? I own a Lockie Windsor shawl and based off the size charts, the sizing seems to be identical for The Armoury, Drake's and Lockie. Visually they appear the same, as well as material (geelong wool or cashmere) so I'm just curious...

Armoury knitwear is shorter in the body generally. I think the Armoury's shawl collar (that is, the collar itself) is shaped differently. I think Drake's shawl is bulkier. I could be wrong, though. Both shawls look more robust than the shawl on the Windsor model.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re just looking for the base Shetland rollneck in those colors try Bosie? You just missed the shade card MTO run, but times are lean and Juliet is nice, so she might be amenable to a one-off order.

I'm not aware they still do the rollneck. I think they did in the past. I might ask her.

If you have the shadecard at hand, would you be so kind to tell me which colour would be the one that A&S calls Lichen?

3025_-_lichen__1.jpg

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually emailed Juliet about an MTO last week and she said they are so insanely busy right now that it's just not possible. I was happy to hear that business is going well for them during these times

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads