• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that people are frustrated by all of the complaining about Drake's pricing strategy.

Here is my take. Ties, which put Drake's on the map, are excellent quality at a reasonable (but high) price point. There is a nice story of their history, how they are made, and they even more custom options. This drove their success. Their ties, and later scarves and pocket squares, were carried at menswear stores. I have lived in both USA and UK, and years ago (before the store in NY and the Drake's website), it was really great when you could find Drake's ties at places like Barney's or occasionally at Bloomingdale's. I realize not everyone wants these ties and that there are other options available, but generally one would have to acknowledge their ties are a great success.

Most of the new apparel and footwear options lack this origin story. Often they lack any uniqueness too. I'm sure many in this thread remember how Drake's basically re-badged some rugby shirts at a substantially increased price. I'm sure this group really likes Drake's offerings generally - why else would you be reading this - but the premium price charged by Drake's for these ideas is not the same value proposition as their strength - tie's. This lack of equivalency across the brand is the the heart of it for me.

Linen trousers for $555 USD? A cotton vest for $695? OTR shirts for $285? This just isn't the equivalent value of getting Drake's ties. The customer is being asked for a higher premium for something that isn't core to Drake's value proposition / origin story / historical strength. I think this is the source of most of the frustrations on this thread.

Personally, I would like to see Drake's re-position themselves back into what they were historically good at. From there, I would like to see them selectively add product offerings that they can control directly instead of contracting these out each season and tacking on a substantial mark-up.
I agree. Seems like, rather than carve out a clothing niche using the strengths you mentioned, they are bludgeoning their way to establish one. Whenever I hit on something I like it's much more expensive than I think it's worth. I'm still amazed they asked $900 for a shirt jacket. I was not surprised when, come sale time, most of the cotton suiting was still available in most sizes.

The look they are selling is not worth the price they are asking.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree. Seems like, rather than carve out a clothing niche using the strengths you mentioned, they are bludgeoning their way to establish one. Whenever I hit on something I like it's much more expensive than I think it's worth. I'm still amazed they asked $900 for a shirt jacket. I was not surprised when, come sale time, most of the cotton suiting was still available in most sizes.

The look they are selling is not worth the price they are asking.

I thought you unsubscribed from this thread?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you unsubscribed from this thread?
Man, you're fast! Work must be dull for you as well today.

I asked a question about the linen long sleeves tees up above. Anyway, thought I'd come back as the Spring/Summer stuff is beginning to arrive. I see many things to like but, like a few others here apparently, I'm balking at the prices.

Do you think Drake's is pushing the Preppy and workwear thing to clearly distance itself from The Armoury? Same owners, right?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an honest analysis of where you think Drake's is and where it's going. :cheers:

Okay, more rapid-fire editing. I'm here because I've bought Drake's since 2007 and generally like them. I don't mind being hard on them as it's my money we're talking about in the end.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, you're fast! Work must be dull for you as well today.

I asked a question about the linen long sleeves tees up above. Anyway, thought I'd come back as the Spring/Summer stuff is beginning to arrive. I see many things to like but, like a few others here apparently, I'm balking at the prices.

Do you think Drake's is pushing the Preppy and workwear thing to clearly distance itself from The Armoury? Same owners, right?

No, I think Drake's has generally been a more playful take on English, Italian, and American style. That's been their whole pitch ever since they started making for their own label.

Anyway, I'm genuinely bummed that every time someone posts anything outside of your very narrow interest in men's clothing, you feel the need to **** on it. It can be techwear, something fun in classic clothing, or something that you personally wouldn't wear. It feels like if it's not some expensive version of what you can find at Lardini, you don't like it. Which is fine -- lots of people have a narrow interest in clothes. But few feel such a need to be a grumpy dude online and say "that's silly" every time something is not a topcoat and grey flannel trousers.

willyto

Reaction score
I guess they have to pay for that Savile Row location somehow. It's not going to be cheap and they have to rise prices accordingly to justify the prime location (Not that their store around the corner was a bad location mind you) I mean, they're surrounded by bespoke companies, their prices are similar to the RTW prices of their neighbours or even higher but they offer something different in style.

I'm definitely not the target customer because I can't afford their full prices unless I buy a single item in a whole season. I'm not certain if their regulasr customer is one that buys many items over a season.

I love a lot of their items in general and the aesthetic the push but for example in my case:

- The rise on their trousers is too low for my preferences(Or so shows in their models)
- Ties are too long
- Jackets have double vents (I like ventless)

I do like their overall aesthetic and what they do though. If their garments didn't have the issues I care about I would certainly put my pride aside to save and buy what I would wear.

Something that bothers me is that there are no measurements of the garments on the website and it puts me off, sizes mean nothing to me, measurements are key, specially at those prices even if you can send back and exchange.

I love this raincoat for example: https://www.drakes.com/clothing/coats-and-jackets/beige-cotton-twill-belted-raincoat

3CxrOl6.jpg

clemente21

Reaction score
I appreciate that people are frustrated by all of the complaining about Drake's pricing strategy.

Here is my take. Ties, which put Drake's on the map, are excellent quality at a reasonable (but high) price point. There is a nice story of their history, how they are made, and they even more custom options. This drove their success. Their ties, and later scarves and pocket squares, were carried at menswear stores. I have lived in both USA and UK, and years ago (before the store in NY and the Drake's website), it was really great when you could find Drake's ties at places like Barney's or occasionally at Bloomingdale's. I realize not everyone wants these ties and that there are other options available, but generally one would have to acknowledge their ties are a great success.

Most of the new apparel and footwear options lack this origin story. Often they lack any uniqueness too. I'm sure many in this thread remember how Drake's basically re-badged some rugby shirts at a substantially increased price. I'm sure this group really likes Drake's offerings generally - why else would you be reading this - but the premium price charged by Drake's for these ideas is not the same value proposition as their strength - tie's. This lack of equivalency across the brand is the the heart of it for me.

Linen trousers for $555 USD? A cotton vest for $695? OTR shirts for $285? This just isn't the equivalent value of getting Drake's ties. The customer is being asked for a higher premium for something that isn't core to Drake's value proposition / origin story / historical strength. I think this is the source of most of the frustrations on this thread.

Personally, I would like to see Drake's re-position themselves back into what they were historically good at. From there, I would like to see them selectively add product offerings that they can control directly instead of contracting these out each season and tacking on a substantial mark-up.

Of all the ways to base an apparel purchase, "value proposition/ origin story / historical strength" doesn't really make much sense to me. That being said, Drake's routinely have sales at 50% off, and run a permanent factory store. If the "value" issue is that much of an impediment, they give you ample ways to get around it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I think Drake's has generally been a more playful take on English, Italian, and American style. That's been their whole pitch ever since they started making for their own label.

Anyway, I'm genuinely bummed that every time someone posts anything outside of your very narrow interest in men's clothing, you feel the need to **** on it. It can be techwear, something fun in classic clothing, or something that you personally wouldn't wear. It feels like if it's not some expensive version of what you can find at Lardini, you don't like it. Which is fine -- lots of people have a narrow interest in clothes. But few feel such a need to be a grumpy dude online and say "that's silly" every time something is not a topcoat and grey flannel trousers.
Fair enough, maybe. I do tend to be dismissive like Graham Chapman's Colonel barging in to say "stop that, that's silly!" I try to make honest critical remarks and can tell by other posters that I'm usually not alone. Calling out perceived BS is an old habit even if it makes me seem a bit binary.

You tend to like everything and seem to take criticism of any kind personally. Then follows the usual cultural Colonialism/oppressed group comments, endless random pictures, links to obscure articles, and finally the (okay, usually funny) personal attack meme. What is wrong with dissent and discussion?

My comments on techwear were specifically on the goth ninja/Delta Force stuff but you took it to mean all techwear. I can glowingly talk techwear for the purposes it was designed for all day. It's what I lived in most of my adult life.

Anyway, I think fairly highly of you and wish you could "step back lightly on the balls of your feet and reevaluate the situation" as a good instructor taught me years ago during exams. Are you the self-appointed defender of every fashion style? Relax and converse and let's draw out a debate.

Work is sleepy this week. About to ramp-up soon, though, and then I'll be back to following only a few threads if that makes you feel better. :fonz:

EDIT: Any comments from anyone else? Curious to see what others think.

Last edited:

eddiemczee

Reaction score
I, for one, feel personally attacked and exposed that Drake's has identified by new purchasing requirement, which is clothes that both my toddler and I would think are cool:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that the constant negativity in this thread from a few members gets tiresome. The pricing shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point
Yeah, I suppose you’re right. It is like a broken record in many ways. Thanks.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an honest analysis of where you think Drake's is and where it's going. :cheers:

Okay, more rapid-fire editing. I'm here because I've bought Drake's since 2007 and generally like them. I don't mind being hard on them as it's my money we're talking about in the end.
Sounds like you’re stuck in 2007

how uncool!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, thought about it for a while. I went back and looked at all my posts here over the past few months. Said my peace I guess and repetition is unproductive. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I'm over 50 and arguing clothes with strangers in the first place but that's another story.

Unfollowing this and the other affiliate threads. Probably best to start disengaging from SF overall I think. Too much time spent here.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads