• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, totally rational, objective argument there, clearly no fanboi.

Maybe. But is it rational to dismiss an entire brand based on their lookbook? When they still produce core items that fit my personal aesthetic and fit me well.

Should I not buy any of No Man Walks alone tailoring because I am not a fan of their streetware brands and the majority of their seasonal lookbooks?

*guy in the drakes appreciation thread*: I like some of drakes things.
Random guy: you like Drakes? You fanboy.

Or just this in fewer words. Thank you.

Last edited:

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the offensive look book? The one with the white haired old guy? I actually enjoy it quite a bit, and imo is much more interesting than two dudes in duffles riding bikes around Oxford they had last year.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the lookbook this season either. I rather enjoyed the locations of the last two AW lookbooks. AW17 for me is probably the best collection from a brand I can think of and that lookbook just enhanced it.

If anyone is liking this, Abercrombie re-released their ultra parka which has a shearling collar and a removable hood. It's the best $180ish (on sale) I've spent on a coat. Finishing is really good, details (corduroy trim, thick horn buttons) are top as well.

Probably not bad for the price, but that faux fur trim on the hood looks awful. I've seen this on women's parkas and it progressively looks worse over time. Also, the description doesn't specify horn buttons. I'd be somewhat surprised if they were indeed horn.

Not quite the same look, but off the top of my head I'd probably look for a discounted Woolrich John Rich & Bros parka if I wanted an alternative. That said if I'm stumping up for the Drakes version I'd probably just going to go the full monty for Cabourn.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'll just go ahead and post a picture of myself wearing a FW19 Drakes tie.

Psyko

Reaction score
I really like the "In the studio" lookbook. Quirky colour combinations with a quirky dude.

keepondigging

Reaction score
AW17-Lookbook-3 (1).jpg

This lookbook was what most captured the essence of the brand to me. It was dramatic and made a statement. They instantly created in my imagination an ideal of what Drakes was all about. Well made and hard wearing clothing for town and country. Rustic colour palettes but with occasional 'fun' colours thrown into the mix. It was clothing for the gentleman who liked reliability, the man who enjoyed traditional British sensibilities but didn't want to look too stiff and fusty at the same time. Which is where the softer tailoring elements begin to come in. It sat somewhere between Polo Ralph Lauren and Cordings of Piccadilly.

This is all still present within the core product the brand offers, and the MTO options now available give us the ability to basically recreate any of these looks, so I can't complain too much. But marketing wise and with the seasonal product, it is focusing more and more on this light hearted fun and slightly ironic element. This has always been an element of the brand sure, but it is not the core that made people fall in love with it originally imo.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered these Drake's items from The Armoury. I've been looking for a wool/cashmere tie in that color for quite a while! Just wish the width was 8.5 or even 9cm.

Capture 2.JPG Capture 1.JPG

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This season's lookbook hasn't even been released yet.

Good. I was worried that "In the Studio" lookbook was going be it for the season.

View attachment 1242808

View attachment 1242828

View attachment 1242810

View attachment 1242812

This lookbook was what most captured the essence of the brand to me. It was dramatic and made a statement. They instantly created in my imagination an ideal of what Drakes was all about. Well made and hard wearing clothing for town and country. Rustic colour palettes but with occasional 'fun' colours thrown into the mix. It was clothing for the gentleman who liked reliability, the man who enjoyed traditional British sensibilities but didn't want to look too stiff and fusty at the same time. Which is where the softer tailoring elements begin to come in. It sat somewhere between Polo Ralph Lauren and Cordings of Piccadilly.

This is all still present within the core product the brand offers, and the MTO options now available give us the ability to basically recreate any of these looks, so I can't complain too much. But marketing wise and with the seasonal product, it is focusing more and more on this light hearted fun and slightly ironic element. This has always been an element of the brand sure, but it is not the core that made people fall in love with it originally imo.

I bought five of the jackets from that season. Missed out on the navy Harris Tweed, but got last season's for more than half off from Mr Porter. It's got the flecking which I prefer it didn't, but it's not bad. Now I just need to slim down a bit more to fit the sweaters and fit them with the jackets and get some cords and I'm set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads