• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the low low buttoning point and such wide lapels, if the gorge was just a few cm lower and with a hint more shoulder padding we'd be right back in Wall Street in the late 1980s...

1565448285481.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wear clothing items as contrivances either. I like to think I can pull off a boldly-patterned scarf but only when it's weather appropriate. My wife is the same way. Scarves exist to keep your neck warm and we both wear them only when it's cold. Same with hats and gloves. Only when the weather demands it.

I wear scarves with sport coats all the time. Very comfy in cooler weather especially where the sport coat is serving as outerwear. Looks nice with a tweedy jacket, cashmere scarf, and nice leather gloves.

Psyko

Reaction score
I live in an especially windy city, so I can't just wrap the scarf nonchalantly around my neck, so that one end hangs over the back, while the other end hangs over the chest. That way of draping it looks good with a sports jacket, as it doesn't lead to bunching of cloth around the neck. The scarf would blow away if I did that, however, and it wouldn't be wrapped tight enough to stop the wind from piercing through and make me freeze. I therefore have to wrap it tight, and I still haven't found any ways of wrapping it which I think look good. Anyways, probably not that interesting of a subject.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in an especially windy city, so I can't just wrap the scarf nonchalantly around my neck, so that one end hangs over the back, while the other end hangs over the chest. That way of draping it looks good with a sports jacket, as it doesn't lead to bunching of cloth around the neck. The scarf would blow away if I did that, however, and it wouldn't be wrapped tight enough to stop the wind from piercing through and make me freeze. I therefore have to wrap it tight, and I still haven't found any ways of wrapping it which I think look good. Anyways, probably not that interesting of a subject.
Put it around your neck so the scarf hangs down your front then button both ends inside your sport coat. Works great with fine cashmere scarves.

gq.com_.mxstreet_style_pitti_uomo_87_florencia_2015__762310990_1200x1800.jpg

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put it around your neck so the scarf hangs down your front then button both ends inside your sport coat. Works great with fine cashmere scarves.

^^

This.

Or do a loose knot or loop and tuck the free ends into a buttoned sport coat.

Agree with Smitty, when it is cool, but not too cold, a tweedy sport coat and scarf are a good look, and the scarf is functional.

Works for me in early Autumn and through the Spring.

hschrapel

Reaction score
That piece honestly gave me a bit of a laugh. If you wore it everyone would think it's just a really old, beat up polar fleece. It's kind of amazing, in a way
I don't know why /how it can command such a price. I'll re-evaluate when it is in their end of season sale

Remy Fool

Reaction score
That piece honestly gave me a bit of a laugh. If you wore it everyone would think it's just a really old, beat up polar fleece. It's kind of amazing, in a way
Legit could pass as the fleece jacket my co-worker bought at Costco for $30.

I don't know why /how it can command such a price. I'll re-evaluate when it is in their end of season sale

Probably the fact that it's wool instead of the usual polyester. In their minds, at least.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy guacamole, £525 for that new casentino quarter zip. Bit steep
We talked about it here a while back. I think it might have been on the Pitti thread for that time period as well. $800 for a fleece-y pullover? I'm sure it's comfy and well made but verges on the absurd. It does look nice I guess. Will be very curious to see if it sells before the inevitable 50% off sale.

Here's the start of the original discussion from this past January where @dalevy posted the IG image:

Last edited:

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We talked about it here a while back. I think it might have been on the Pitti thread for that time period as well. $800 for a fleece-y pullover? I'm sure it's comfy and well made but verges on the absurd. It does look nice I guess. Will be very curious to see if it sells before the inevitable 50% off sale.

Here's the start of the original discussion from this past January where @dalevy posted the IG image:

You fools don't get it. Look at the cross-campaci stitching around the shoulder. Or the occupano detail by the zipper. That's why it costs to much.

Just kidding. Made all that stuff up.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You fools don't get it. Look at the cross-campaci stitching around the shoulder. Or the occupano detail by the zipper. That's why it costs to much.

Just kidding. Made all that stuff up.
You had me there for a second. I was just about to start Googling those terms but I clicked on the spoiler link first. :rotflmao:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads