• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should be 18% duty for shoes, and 13% HST for Ontario resident.  

31% total + Canada Post Fee ($10) or Courier Brokerage fee. ($25-45).

I just ordered a Carmina from Mr. Crevan's Quality Shop.  $303 EUR shipped.  

Even if its 1.45 exchange after cc conversion fee, that $439 shipped for a pair of Carmina shoes.  Paypal offered me $444 CAD at time of checkout.    All taxes aside (and I will be paying tax for these I know), I think its the lowest amount shipped for Carmina I have seen at regular retail price.   Carmina direct included.  

Now if you skate by duty, Carmina direct, GF, or Skoak could be cheaper.   But unlikely based on recent events and personal experience.   

I might ask Skoak to ship my EG Galways once they ready to my friend in US and use the proxie service. I'm not paying over 30% based on recent events for EG...

Nik Telford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might ask Skoak to ship my EG Galways once they ready to my friend in US and use the proxie service. I'm not paying over 30% based on recent events for EG...
What are the odds of being nailed with duty and tax when shipping to the states though?

TOstyle

Reaction score
Efffffffffffffffffff. And I think it's that 18% first and then the 13% on top of that too right? I remembered trying to figure out the charges last time I bought stuff from Thomas Pink and was scratching my head trying to figure out why I had been charged so much. Sometimes a sale is not a sale when you add it all up.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its way less, they pay approx $30 on Carmina. So maybe $75-100 on an EG if you get hit for the full banana, which if its going postal you likely won't.

@Steel28 - I would use your proxy for sure.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its way less, they pay approx $30 on Carmina.  So maybe $75-100 on an EG if you get hit for the full banana, which if its going postal you likely won't.

@Steel28
 - I would use your proxy for sure.  

I think that's what I will do.

Note: As I mentioned before, I received my first pair of EG Galways last week from EU and they sat in customs for 1 week. I was getting ready to go broke once they arrive. I was shocked in a good way when there was 0 charges.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a Seiko Cocktail watch coming in today from the States via CP. Let's see if I get dinged. I thought I scored a deal when I got it, but if I have to pay duties/taxes defeats the euphoric score I felt when I first made the purchase :(

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's what I will do.

Note: As I mentioned before, I received my first pair of EG Galways last week from EU and they sat in customs for 1 week. I was getting ready to go broke once they arrive. I was shocked in a good way when there was 0 charges.

That's pretty lucky, but I wouldn't suggest lightning striking twice. I'd happily pay someone a small fee to bring something as expensive as that, up north for me.

In the $400 range may not be as much of a gap for the hassle. In the $1500 range, uh yeah, that's worth a nice bottle to me.

jokb

Reaction score
Misrepresenting the value is not something I would recommend if you don't fancy landing on some importation sh!t list.

+1 Once you're on that list. You'll be hassled every time you cross the border or import something. Not sure how accurate this is as one of the Customs officers told me this.

I always declare full value of what I import. If you're getting it from retailers, they're going to declare accurately anyway.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Years ago, I brought back a camera that my uncle gave me when I traveled to Asia. The camera was a couple of year old so I didn't declare it. Since I didn't have a box, I just wrapped it with my clothes to protect it and put it in my luggage. The custom officer found it and accused me of hiding it from them. They asked me to pay tax/duty/penalty that came up to $700. I didn't pay and let them kept my camera. Eventually, my uncle was able to find the receipt and mailed it to me. I went back to the office, showed them the receipt (to prove that it is old) and claimed my camera back without paying a penny. For the next couple of years, whenever I crossed the border, I got thoroughly search. They must had me on the list even though I didn't do anything wrong. Not something I would want to go through again.

stanchri

Reaction score
@Steel28 you could always have someone "walk" them across the border for you.
rotflmao.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads