The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Yep, that just happened to me picking up the Skoak box... I beginning to wonder if something really has changed...

2. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior member

Yorkville said you can only buy them online, so not them. Bunch of tools.

3. emidyl

emidyl Senior member

it adds up really fast my, last skoat was dinged and I had 2 pr of boots in there ouch...
    all we can do is console ourselves with the fact we couldn't get these boots here.

at the end off the day if Leatherfoot carried the same item the cost would have been the same.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Rbc

5. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Yes! I wonder what's happening with them - I know they've had some issues with the summer order - but I do think they have an opportunity now given everything going on with CAD and Canada Post's new found vigour...

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Well the whole point of import duties is to protect the local economy / businesses. The combination of our devalued dollar and increased vigilance by the authorities in assessing duties will invariably lead me to make more local purchases. Of course, working with Arne and Leatherfoot - particularly for St. Crispin's - is a pleasure, as is dealing with JokB for Vass - so no hardhip there.

I guess I should just ge glad I bought so damn many shoes at a time when they sailed through clean far more often than not. And when the Canadian Dollar was actually worth something.

7. Chambertin

Chambertin Senior member

I missed out, having only recently begun to get into shoes. I'm not in a rush, however.

Though even eBay is becoming unattractive with the exchange. I hope sellers start switching to CAD, though I think that's a pipedream.

8. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Agreed - the irony is that St Crispins is close to the justifiable price point for me now vs. my usually Carmina and Enzo Bonafe shoe price points...

9. jokb

jokb Senior member

That's absurd. $185 on top of I assume $450 is pretty high. At least you didn't get hit with 31% which is the norm for shoes.

10. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Yes - I believe it was 20% duty and then HST on top (oh and nice little $10 CP handling fee) - so I can accept the HST but the 20% duty on top is ridiculous...

11. borbor

borbor Senior member

Thats why i've gone to using dhl. The duties is palatable, and it doesnt sit in customs. I get it fast too.

12. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

What the hell? Is the duty on shoes 31%? I thought it was closer to 20? That's highway robbery.

13. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Should be 18% duty for shoes, and 13% HST for Ontario resident.

31% total + Canada Post Fee ($10) or Courier Brokerage fee. ($25-45).

I just ordered a Carmina from Mr. Crevan's Quality Shop. $303 EUR shipped.

Even if its 1.45 exchange after cc conversion fee, that $439 shipped for a pair of Carmina shoes. Paypal offered me $444 CAD at time of checkout. All taxes aside (and I will be paying tax for these I know), I think its the lowest amount shipped for Carmina I have seen at regular retail price. Carmina direct included.

Now if you skate by duty, Carmina direct, GF, or Skoak could be cheaper. But unlikely based on recent events and personal experience.

14. ino68

ino68 Senior member

On the flip side, I was super mad at the need for a protective duty on shoes, until I noticed that Roots is selling Made in Canada boots at their Yonge street store, as is Epaulet!

It ain't Edward Green level, but they were solidly built for sure.

15. jokb

jokb Senior member

It's 18% for duties and 13% for HST. Sorry for the confusion. When customs opens up your package, it's almost guaranteed you're going to get hit with 31%.