• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cityplace

Reaction score
I'm convinced the CBSA has my name down on a list somewhere
smile.gif

Even the canada post lady was shocked by the duties bill!

Yep, that just happened to me picking up the Skoak box... I beginning to wonder if something really has changed...

emidyl

Reaction score
C

Yep, Canada Post - $185 on a pair of Carmina boots...
it adds up really fast my, last skoat was dinged and I had 2 pr of boots in there ouch...
all we can do is console ourselves with the fact we couldn't get these boots here.

at the end off the day if Leatherfoot carried the same item the cost would have been the same.

Last edited:

Cityplace

Reaction score
it adds up really fast my, last skoat was dinged and I had 2 pr of boots in there ouch...
all we can do is console ourselves with the fact we couldn't get these boots here.

at the end off the day if Leatherfoot carried the same item the cost would have been the same.

Yes! I wonder what's happening with them - I know they've had some issues with the summer order - but I do think they have an opportunity now given everything going on with CAD and Canada Post's new found vigour...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the whole point of import duties is to protect the local economy / businesses. The combination of our devalued dollar and increased vigilance by the authorities in assessing duties will invariably lead me to make more local purchases. Of course, working with Arne and Leatherfoot - particularly for St. Crispin's - is a pleasure, as is dealing with JokB for Vass - so no hardhip there.

I guess I should just ge glad I bought so damn many shoes at a time when they sailed through clean far more often than not. And when the Canadian Dollar was actually worth something.

Chambertin

Reaction score
I missed out, having only recently begun to get into shoes. I'm not in a rush, however.

Though even eBay is becoming unattractive with the exchange. I hope sellers start switching to CAD, though I think that's a pipedream.

Cityplace

Reaction score

Well the whole point of import duties is to protect the local economy / businesses. The combination of our devalued dollar and increased vigilance by the authorities in assessing duties will invariably lead me to make more local purchases. Of course, working with Arne and Leatherfoot - particularly for St. Crispin's - is a pleasure, as is dealing with JokB for Vass - so no hardhip there.

I guess I should just ge glad I bought so damn many shoes at a time when they sailed through clean far more often than not. And when the Canadian Dollar was actually worth something.

Agreed - the irony is that St Crispins is close to the justifiable price point for me now vs. my usually Carmina and Enzo Bonafe shoe price points...

jokb

Reaction score
C

Yep, Canada Post - $185 on a pair of Carmina boots...

That's absurd. $185 on top of I assume $450 is pretty high. At least you didn't get hit with 31% which is the norm for shoes.

Cityplace

Reaction score
That's absurd. $185 on top of I assume $450 is pretty high. At least you didn't get hit with 31% which is the norm for shoes.

Yes - I believe it was 20% duty and then HST on top (oh and nice little $10 CP handling fee) - so I can accept the HST but the 20% duty on top is ridiculous...

borbor

Reaction score
Thats why i've gone to using dhl. The duties is palatable, and it doesnt sit in customs. I get it fast too.

TOstyle

Reaction score
What the hell? Is the duty on shoes 31%? I thought it was closer to 20? That's highway robbery.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should be 18% duty for shoes, and 13% HST for Ontario resident.

31% total + Canada Post Fee ($10) or Courier Brokerage fee. ($25-45).

I just ordered a Carmina from Mr. Crevan's Quality Shop. $303 EUR shipped.

Even if its 1.45 exchange after cc conversion fee, that $439 shipped for a pair of Carmina shoes. Paypal offered me $444 CAD at time of checkout. All taxes aside (and I will be paying tax for these I know), I think its the lowest amount shipped for Carmina I have seen at regular retail price. Carmina direct included.

Now if you skate by duty, Carmina direct, GF, or Skoak could be cheaper. But unlikely based on recent events and personal experience.

ino68

Reaction score
On the flip side, I was super mad at the need for a protective duty on shoes, until I noticed that Roots is selling Made in Canada boots at their Yonge street store, as is Epaulet!

It ain't Edward Green level, but they were solidly built for sure.

jokb

Reaction score
What the hell? Is the duty on shoes 31%? I thought it was closer to 20? That's highway robbery.

It's 18% for duties and 13% for HST. Sorry for the confusion. When customs opens up your package, it's almost guaranteed you're going to get hit with 31%.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads