1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

Unless they are hedging their currency, it's going to be murder for a lot of small retailers.

2. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yep. It's brutal. We can't raise prices as fast as the dollar has fallen. We have to eat the difference.

3. jokb

jokb Senior Member

+1 We're getting beat up on all fronts.. including Euro and Pounds.

4. velomane

velomane Senior Member

A girlfriend based in the US? Why didn't I think of that?

5. kasper007

kasper007 Senior Member

it does have its advantages although the constant flying gets pretty annoying (and expensive..)

6. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Distinguished Member

So, you're saying that everything in your store is on sale right now and we better buy buy buy before they go back to their new regular price? :)

7. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior Member

I guess there's a good chance it'll get worse in September when a lot of people anticipate the U.S. Fed will raise their interest rate, and potential Iranian oil being added to the market won't help oil prices and the loonie. I'm watching the asking prices on some properties here in Downtown Brampton do some goofy stuff.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

8. spiermackay

spiermackay Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Prices will have to go up. It's inevitable. Not only us, but for any importer. But on the flip side, any US customers are getting an additional 30% Off!

9. scatterbrain

scatterbrain Senior Member

10. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

Unfortunately it looks like a rough ride for us Canadian importers of fine goods.

The federal reserve is set to hike interest rates while the bank of Canada just cut. That means more demand for us dollar denominated assets and a drop in the loonie. Factor in large oil supply and slowing emerging market growth and that means even more downward pressure. Probably going to get worse before it gets any better. It would take a dramatic shift in events to get back to 90 cents let alone parity.

With Greece almost in the rear view and the European central bank already at emergency rates the euro is as weak as it'll get against the Canadian dollar. Could see it rise in fact.

Pound will get stronger versus the loonie as well. They're much closer to raising rates than we are.

If there's any interest in this type of thing I m happy to comment from time to time!

11. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Senior Member

I guess I just became an even bigger fan of Canada's own, Samuelsohn.

12. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

Boys..........I'm from Toronto and live in NYC. I visit Toronto often, can proxy for a fee depending on the item.

Shoot me a PM and if I can help then consider it done!

13. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

gesture is much appreciated Viral, I'm sure but can you get the CND $ back up to say even $.85.....

unfortunately some items on my wish list will have to wait indefintely

14. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

wish I had those powers brother :(

My intent was to help folks with customs fees......always down to help forum members lower costs :D

15. emidyl

emidyl Senior Member

I hear ya. Reread some of the earlier posts today WRT customs and CanPost/USPS with skoak/GF and the one thing that is certain is that there is no certainty.
    Still believe it is the luck of the draw. I was dinged on my last order from skoak but not from GF and not my prev order from skoak. Until we can get a larger sample group say from the last month to end of summer, we will never really know the actual mechanics to getting hit with taxes and duties. I do however believe, based upon the last 3 purchases that if my items spend more than 2 days in customs, it's not a good sign. Might have to ask a buddy who works at CanPost if he knows