1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. EssenceofTao

EssenceofTao Active Member

I agree, but I prefer a physical retailer only because I've had a lot of trouble with sizing.

If you've got your sizing down in Carmina lasts, have you considered buying directly from Carmina or from Skoak? It ends up being a reasonable price if you're not willing to wait until September.

The other option is buying from the US, but with the weak Canadian to USD that adds at least ~25% to the price. I think that's worth it only if you get factory second prices.

2. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior Member

Has anyone been to the Harry Rosen outlet at Heartland recently for their sale? I was at their outlet in Vaughn Mills and left empty handed, but I did see a few decent items like Etro and Eton ties for $29, a black Filson briefcase for $199, grey suede Canali chukkas for $199, and a made in Italy Ralph Lauren Black Label blazer in dark brown waxed cotton also for $199.

3. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior Member

I went a few days ago. I also left empty-handed.

I mostly went shoe and suit hunting. They had a 36S RLBL double-breasted black suit for about $530 that I couldn't fit into and I saw a 38R Isaia sport jacket (do not remember the colour) for about 60% off.

At the very least, I confirmed that:

- I have to size up to 38 in RLBL
    - I don't look good in double-breasted suits

4. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior Member

I also ate here a year or two ago and it was very good. Much better than any of the other places I had eaten at in NF.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Distinguished Member

Dang, I didn't realize this thread existed. I had totally forgotten Leatherfoot was in Toronto, or I would have tried to check it out while I was in town last week to perform at the Toronto Jazz Festival. I didn't have much time to explore, but I was surprised there was a small shoe repair shop with a "Yes, we carry Saphir" sign in the window on Yonge St. somewhere between Richmond (they put us up at the Cambridge Suites Hotel) and King (we ended up hanging at Beer Bistro).

6. burgerkong

burgerkong Senior Member

That'd be Novelty Shoe Repair.

7. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

I know we all love Skoak and GF for Carmina. But has anyone ordered from Mr. Crevans QC?

Prices are great landed even if all duties are collected (and they will be DHL)

8. rwtc

rwtc Senior Member

Talking of cobblers, the gentleman at Leatherfoot recommended Nick's as a cobbler. I was disappointed by the shoddy job at the Sole Survivor ...

PSA: There's a food market on Front Street at Union Station that's open until late August. Thinking of going with some colleagues tomorrow.

9. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior Member

Anyone notice that Canada Post seems to be cracking down on charging taxes/duty more often these days? Especially packages >$100. Or maybe I'm just getting unlucky recently?

The plummeting loonie does not help with online purchasing either - looks like depending on the BoC, it could drop even further...

10. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

^^^ Yes, I have noticed the same, though over a fairly short and recent time period. Enough to make me think it might be a trend, though.

11. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

I've had more packages dinged for duty and taxes recently too, all non clothing related though. Now in terms of the Canadian dollar, I disagree with the devaluing the Looney to prosperity policy, it hasn't really worked since Stephen Poloz became Governor of the Bank of Canada, I could go on but who really needs a rant here on monetary policy as economic stimulus tool. One thing is for sure my purchasing decisions are changing.

12. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

Got very lucky and zero charges for my Edward Green boots. They sat in customs for review, etc for almost a week as well. I was warming up my CC and waiting for the Canada Post bill lol

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

13. rwtc

rwtc Senior Member

I received a suit and a wallet with no fees a couple of days ago, but there are always duties & HST and the like on shoes for me.

14. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

Two years ago I ordered a shirt from Ratio and it sat in customs for three weeks at the Canada Post Gateway Plant. I got hit with duty, even thought the shirt was made in the US they declared the textile as not being American made.

15. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

Royal Mail never gets dinged...at least from what I've experienced so far.

That being said the pound is killing the loonie. Devaluing the dollar has done little for the manufacturing sector as most of the most sensitive plants have already been shuttered.