1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scatterbrain, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior Member

Interesting point about Royal Mail, I have a pair of Orlebar Brown trunks that seem stuck in customs for over 2 weeks without an update. Wonder what's going to happen when they figure it out...

2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

The big problem is economists, policy wonks and their political masters are under the mistaken assumption that currency devaluation is a quick fix and Canada's manufacturing sector will roar back to life. I don't think that will be the case, manufacturing will never be a jobs driver again because what hasn't been moved offshore has been or will be automated. Two I think Canadian manufacturers have a leadership problem, if the company is only viable with say a Canadian dollar in the high 60s or low 70s cent US range, then you are in trouble as in you're competing on price alone on what's being sold, there's always someone out there who can make it cheaper.

So, until they get that, offshore purchases are going to get more expensive for you and I unless something scary happens in the Middle East and the price of oil spikes to like $100 a barrel.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

3. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Quote:I had some cycling kit sent by Royal Mail get dinged for duties and taxes just last week.

4. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

They're on to us anglophiles!!!!

5. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior Member

I've gotten hit on my last three orders. 1 from Skoak, 1 from Gentlemen's Footwear, and first time I got hit with HST on a shipment from NMWA. With the 78 cent dollar and potential duties and tax I'm much more considering using my US residence as a shipping haven and delaying gratification until I can get out there.

6. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

Yep. I'm basically in the same boat.

When I'm looking at things now I am doing full calculations, and unless I'm prepared to spend the full import amount, I'm not buying it. Hard to pass on some stuff. If anything comes in without fees, its just a bonus.

I also may start to set up a US drop, delaying the gratification as mentioned, does really sucks.

7. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

As much as I like NWMA, when you factor in the the currency and tack on shipping and duties you're buying at a price higher than many custom options (at least for shirts and suits) in Toronto. I can't manage to pull the trigger even when things are on sale.

8. akoustas

akoustas Senior Member

PS @Bill Smith I'm an economist and I totally agree with you. We're not all bad :)

9. KaleidoscopicK

KaleidoscopicK Senior Member

I'm in a different, yet similar boat.

I'm in the process of pruning my manga, anime and video game collections and putting items up on eBay. As I sell in USD, I've been able to finance some of my recent purchases through PayPal without paying the price via conversion, or in the case of my Equus purchase in February, minimizing the damage. I also have the fortune of a friend living in the Detroit area who's willing to let me ship anything I order to him and comes back to the GTA once or twice a month, so I've been able to evade paying HST so far.

However, USD funds have been low as of late. I found some things on ShopTheFinest and eHaberdasher that I really want to purchase, but the notion of paying 25% more in CAD while having a working alternative is a huge deterrent.

10. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Distinguished Member

I live on the border so I take advantage of shipping things to the US all the time. I do love it and will miss it if I ever move further from the border. I remember @Leaves mentioned that there was some of of crackdown in the US and US post might not be able to deal with international shipping at some point soon since people use USPS to avoid paying duty and tax. The same might be happening with CPS. Its painful for me buying shoes now that I have to account for the currency conversion and the risk of duty when buying shoes from Skoak or Vass.

11. Allen Dreadmon

Allen Dreadmon Senior Member

I've been funding my purchases from my existing paypal balance. I also have a USD bank account that I deposit US cheques into. And fortunately, I have a friend who travels to NY for work every few months. She is moving there soon, so I'll have a US address to ship to (could be dangerous!) Yesterday, she brought back these goods:

[​IMG]

12. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Nik - the way I see it, I'm not avoiding paying tax by selecting postal delivery - it's still up to the government to identify and assess duties and taxes on commercial goods. I'm just improving my odds of receiving goods with no tax assessed, because traditionally, they have been fairly lax in doing their job. But the job is theirs to do. I avoid couriers because they are VERY good at doing the government's job for them - too good by far, in fact, since they often OVERcharge for duties and taxes, then add on a "brokerage fee" to rub salt in the wound.

On the other hand, I would really not want to try to drive across the border these days with undeclared goods in my possession. Not remotely worth the risk, IMO. I'd rather just stick with postal delivery and if I get dinged, so be it. At least they are more likely to get the number right and don't line their pockets with additional assorted fees.

13. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior Member

I guess in the end, it is amazing how the purchasing power disparity is widening between Canada and the US. One would need to earn 30% more to compensate.

I'm sure it's doubly hard for small businesses that purchase inventory in USD - it must be really killing them.

14. kasper007

kasper007 Senior Member

I had a jacket shipped through royal mail and declared at £250 get past with not duties 2 weeks ago, but I also usually have stuff send to my gf in New York as USPS never, ever charges on anything (Nik's post does scare me a little bit I will admit)

15. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Distinguished Member

I know I'm generalizing:). I work in marketing communications social strategy, it amazes me how a lot of outdated thinking is still out there.