• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this is one of the issues with pig skin, is the way it creases - it does not have the memory like calf, thus it retains the crease a little like the way shell does

I'm just curious why you chose pig skin over calf skin?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this is one of the issues with pig skin, is the way it creases - it does not have the memory like calf, thus it retains the crease a little like the way shell does

I'm just curious why you chose pig skin over calf skin?

beause i thort if you are gonna get a grained something then try to use the skin which has the natural grain, pig is pretty soft and they are quite a comfy shoe i dont have any issues with the way they are creased - i would think that a oxford would not have this issue, or not as much

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i would think that a oxford would not have this issue, or not as much

why?

well think about how the 2 shoes are cut, as the vamp on the derby is also the tongue so it will have that slight more natural creasing where as an oxford is closed faced so it would be less pronounced i reckon

but i am more than willing to be corrected

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

well think about how the 2 shoes are cut, as the vamp on the derby is also the tongue so it will have that slight more natural creasing where as an oxford is closed faced so it would be less pronounced i reckon

but i am more than willing to be corrected

sounds reasonable. honestly, never thought too much about it.

actually my few oxfords crease almost the same as my derbies. given that people with a high instep should avoid oxfords which are not bespoke or at least mtm. well, it's styleforum, oh well :cheers:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...not so sure where to stick these, but I'm sure to get some suggestions. Admins, feel free to move my message if this thread isn't the best place.

The world's largest bespoke pair made for the world's tallest man:

worn-Wadlow-shoe.jpg

Size 25AA, wearer Robert Wadlow.

The same shoe next to a regular-size pair:
Wadlow_shoe_compared.jpg

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...not so sure where to stick these, but I'm sure to get some suggestions. Admins, feel free to move my message if this thread isn't the best place.

The world's largest bespoke pair made for the world's tallest man:

worn-Wadlow-shoe.jpg

Size 25AA, wearer Robert Wadlow.

The same shoe next to a regular-size pair:
Wadlow_shoe_compared.jpg

I expect everything the gentleman wore was bespoke. And not re-sellable to anyone of planet earth.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

uniesse

Reaction score

This is a pair of Cleverley's that arrived last month, been wearing them a fair bit, next time I will post em before worn.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not sure I have seen such a thin sole on a welted shoe before. At least, it appears curiously thin but it could just be a deceptive image.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Along with the outsole, the whole shoe seems to be objectively lighter weight, and more delicate, than other shoes you've posted recently. For instance, the photo makes the upper leather appear thin...maybe in the neighborhood of 2 ounce...like a lightweight calf or even kangaroo (not a criticism).

If you're not using a shoe horn, you may want to consider doing so. If the shoe was built to minimize weight, the stiffener may be correspondingly thin. It may be the photo, but the left counter area looks a little problematic....it worries me.

Last edited:

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Yes they are generally lighter and more delicate all round, the stiffeners at the instep are very strong though. The leather is top notch quality but it is does appear quite thin and you lack the support you would get from a full brogue. I have been using a horn but there is a little creasing at the heel, no big deal.. The leather is no thinner than that used on the other pair I have

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads