• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoefan,

Just a quick observation...I have been all over the Edelman website and I am nearly convinced that Cashmere is not a veg tanned leather. It is not identified as veg tanned in the description that accompanies each of their offerings, and if you search their website (drop down menu) looking for all their veg tanned leathers, it is not included in the results list. FWIW.

shoefan

Reaction score

Shoefan,
Just a quick observation...I have been all over the Edelman website and I am nearly convinced that Cashmere is not a veg tanned leather. It is not identified as veg tanned in the description that accompanies each of their offerings, and if you search their website (drop down menu) looking for all their veg tanned leathers, it is not included in the results list. FWIW.

DW:

Thanks for that. Upon checking the Edelman website, I see that you are correct. I guess I had seen the full grain calf description and somehow mis-recollected that it was veg tanned. The chrome tanning, combined with whatever else they do, no doubt explains the soft hand. They seem to have changed their web-site recently, with new product descriptions. Now cashmere calf is described as having the soft hand of lambskin but the strength of calf. Also mentions the resistant finish, which I noticed.

Also, I agree that a bit heavier weight on the Luxe Calf would be preferable. They may have changed the finishing on it? Their old description said it was agate glazed, but the new one says the effect is achieved with heat and pressure (i.e. rollers?). Further, it does appear to be un-treated, as their description calls it 'naked.'

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shoefan,

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I might note that Edelman has a suede (chrome tanned) that they sell. Lots of colours, as I recall. But unless you can find it as overstock on Ebay or somewhere, I'm a little doubtful. I think I would be hesitant to pay $20.00sq.ft (what they quoted me) for upholstery leather...especially sight unseen.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, you are close. They are made from Edelman 'Russian' calf, which is purportedly tanned in the same fashion as the Cleverley Meta Catharina leather...

Shoefan, I'm sure you tire of all these virtual pats on the back, but I just have to chime in with more kudos. I've seen hobbyists teach themselves lots of things over the years, like woodworking for instance. But your shoes are coming out like you were born into a shoe & bootmaker family, simply entering a trade passed down to you by previous generations. I've always been impressed by talented craftsmen and you clearly fall into the same category. Keep the pictures coming!

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A bespoke shoe made by Hong Kong shoemaker, Mr. Masaru Okuyama.

NICE INDEED! :drool:

Okuyama makes some fantastic shoes, hope to see more of him represented here
Are his clients mostly locals? I've been wondering why he settled there

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okuyama San clients are mostly locals and Japanese, also few Mainlanders. He travel back to Japan every few months for fitting and also sourcing. I think he settled here since his wife is a local, and Hong Kong is a wonderful place to live except the air!

The sole is also well finished:

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nice finishing on those soles :slayer:

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okuyama San new shoes have even better finish than the previous photo.
May take few more photos when I visit him next time.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad