• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi, Long time lurker here. Just had the second fitting of my bespoke suit and am looking for comments and suggestions on how to make the suit better!

In general, I'm quite happy with the front after lowering the button stance for around an inch. Not entirely satisfied with the sleeves and back. The upper back is nice but the bulging around the right armhole and break around the waist is bothering. Also, looking for advice on how to clean up the pants and remove the break around knee level.

Any help would be appreciated! View attachment 1551977 View attachment 1551981 View attachment 1551982 View attachment 1551983

Out of curiosity, who's the tailor?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just bought this isaia wool/ cashmere jacket (dominico) at Neiman on a huge sale. Looks pretty decent, what do you guys think?

Sleeves will be shortened 1/2 inch, and back taken out so it doesn't show these stretch marks. Will see, have not much hope that NM tailor will do a good job but too lazy to go hike to the city to my usual tailor only to pay triple:) I guess this is just an experiment haven't bought anything at NM in a while.

View attachment 1550671
View attachment 1550673 View attachment 1550672
View attachment 1550674
Not a tailor but there is not enough cloth over your shoulder blades. Looks tight over the upper back. Might be a little tight across the chest as well.

moimael

Reaction score
Hi!

I received this Ring Jacket suit a few weeks ago, still waiting for shops to reopen so I can get it tailored. I wanted to have your opinions on the fit.

The things I think I should have altered:

- Excess of fabric in the back near the armholes
- Slightly too much waist suppression (which might be because of lockdown weight I put on)
- Trousers too long of course
- Maybe something to do on the seat of the trousers. Might also just be that I didn't pull it up properly and it's too long so it doesn't drape correctly?
- Slightly short jacket but I can live with that
- A tiny bit tight at the chest (not that I feel it but it seems that the lapels bow slightly), same I can live with that since I think there is nothing that can be done here.

I would love to get some feedback on the fit/alterations needed :)

lpast

Reaction score
Question. Would letting out back make it easier to button a sport coat? Create more room in the chest?

papado

Reaction score
Question. Would letting out back make it easier to button a sport coat? Create more room in the chest?

I guess if you let it out far enough down the back around the waist/button point it could but there is not a lot of fabric down there to my understanding underneath that seam, especially that far down the back (I think there's more in between the blades).

I don't think it should really do much for the chest either but others can chime in.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a tailor but there is not enough cloth over your shoulder blades. Looks tight over the upper back. Might be a little tight across the chest as well.
you might be right, will pick it up this weekend. it was relatively cheap and looks good from the front. So I will report back with my experience.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess if you let it out far enough down the back around the waist/button point it could but there is not a lot of fabric down there to my understanding underneath that seam, especially that far down the back (I think there's more in between the blades).

I don't think it should really do much for the chest either but others can chime in.
So would it just relieve some stress across the back? I have forward shoulders (I think) and often get some horizontal lines between the blades when I get a nice trim fit in the chest/shoulders.

papado

Reaction score
So would it just relieve some stress across the back? I have forward shoulders (I think) and often get some horizontal lines between the blades when I get a nice trim fit in the chest/shoulders.

I believe it can relieve a little stress across the back but it's a little more complicated than we think--Despos had an informative post on this subject a few pages back if I remember correctly.

lpast

Reaction score
I have a few S&M sport coats, size 38R and I am wondering if I should go up a size to 40R. They mostly fit well but the is a dent around the top of the sleeve at times. I can pull the sleeve down to remove it, but it may appear later on with regular movement.

I am thinking the shoulder is too narrow. What do you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_223454~2.jpg
    IMG_20200814_223454~2.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 69

Aly.B

Reaction score
I have a few S&M sport coats, size 38R and I am wondering if I should go up a size to 40R. They mostly fit well but the is a dent around the top of the sleeve at times. I can pull the sleeve down to remove it, but it may appear later on with regular movement.

I am thinking the shoulder is too narrow. What do you all think?

I’ve had the same problem with my recently bought (and eventually returned) suit jackets and reading through some of the threads, experienced members say that it’s probably because the jacket shoulders are too small for the shoulder frame. Perhaps, other more experienced members could suggest/recommend how to get it fixed.

jandersson

Reaction score
My understanding is that shoulder divots are not related to shoulder width not shoulder padding. The shape of the armhole is wrong. Too tall but not wide enough.

Boggis

Reaction score
Hi, I've a general question on trouser alterations/having a pair made. I had a pair made from an online MTM service that was a copy of good fitting pair of trousers but I asked for a higher waist than the original pair.

Overall I'm happy with the copy, but I neglected to account for the fact my waist is narrower higher up than where it sits on the original pair (also I've lost a bit of weight)

I'd like to have another pair made, and obviously intend to have the waist taken in on the new pair. However does it make sense to ask for the excess fabric to be taken out of the waist at the back? It seems to me that the front of the trousers sit fine, but the excess material is in the back. Or is it necessary to balance the removal of cloth from the front and back?

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Hi, I've a general question on trouser alterations/having a pair made. I had a pair made from an online MTM service that was a copy of good fitting pair of trousers but I asked for a higher waist than the original pair.

Overall I'm happy with the copy, but I neglected to account for the fact my waist is narrower higher up than where it sits on the original pair (also I've lost a bit of weight)

I'd like to have another pair made, and obviously intend to have the waist taken in on the new pair. However does it make sense to ask for the excess fabric to be taken out of the waist at the back? It seems to me that the front of the trousers sit fine, but the excess material is in the back. Or is it necessary to balance the removal of cloth from the front and back?

Other's can give you a more complete answer, but usually if the excess is not too much, they will take it from the back

BB_Adept

Reaction score
These are my trial pants from Collaro. I am fairly happy with the result and i will definitely wear these trousers. Any suggestions on alterations? The final pair is going to be in midweight curdoroy.
Imho the hem could cover a bit less of the shoes and i am not 100% sure they fit perfectly around my butt.
20210217_200320.jpg
20210217_200326.jpg
20210217_200332.jpg
20210217_200337.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads