• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

quackattack

Reaction score
Apologize in advance for the crappy quality and the ugly socks. I recently acquired an Anthony suit by RLBL through eBay, and the structured shoulders surprised me a bit. There's quite a lot of shoulder padding and I'm not sure what to think. Any thoughts on it? Or perhaps something else that looks off, apart from sleeve length?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=12903]Photoon13-04-2016at22.09.jpg (169k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=12904]Photoon13-04-2016at22.11.jpg (190k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=12905]Photoon13-04-2016at22.07.jpg (160k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[ATTACHMENT=12906]Photoon13-04-2016at22.063.jpg (173k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

What do you guys think of the fit?

I bodybuild/fitness model so my chest:waist ratio is always a problem. Used to baggier clothes normally.

Sorry for the crap shirt etc. Just wanted to run this past you. The person in the store said it fitted very well and the size up would be too big on the shoulders/sleeve/length.

I'm not sure if I should return it. I really love the jacket. My sister thought it fitted very well, my parents were a bit more :/ about it!

To tight. You need some room for ease (room to move around in). If you are pushing weights you won't be wearing that long, no room for expanding muscles.

goodwillhinton

Reaction score
Thoughts on the fit of these linen trousers from Bonobos? I think I might have a bit of pocket flare going on. Should I size up? Or something else?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apologize in advance for the crappy quality and the ugly socks. I recently acquired an Anthony suit by RLBL through eBay, and the structured shoulders surprised me a bit. There's quite a lot of shoulder padding and I'm not sure what to think. Any thoughts on it? Or perhaps something else that looks off, apart from sleeve length?
Shoulders look fine. You should post a pic with a tie and shirt buttoned up. Are the sleeves too big?

Last edited:

quackattack

Reaction score
Shoulders look fine. You should post a pic with a tie and shirt buttoned up. Are the sleeves too big?

The shirt is buttoned up. Does it look unbuttoned because of the gap?

Yes, the sleeves are too long. It's a 42L. I'm 6'2'' and have a long torso and short arms.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of quick general question from a newbie - is there any rule of thumb to figuring out how long a jacket should be and how long is too long? I'm somewhere between 5'7" and 5'8" and tend to wear my pants lower on my hips, and am somewhere between 46 and 48 jacket size depending on my weight and how the suits run. I have always wondered if i should should be a "Short" or a "Regular" when it comes to jacket size. Is there a steadfast rule of thumb for length? I have heard that it should cover your pockets, but I'm also curious about how long is too long...

I purchased my 1st real quality suit from SuitSupply, but it seems like there lengths run short, and I'm in the market for a Brooks Brothers Madison blazer and am worried that it'll be comically long on me

Also, I know that shortening a jacket is not really a good idea due to the proportions...but if push comes to shove is there a limit on how much could be taken off if need be?

thanks!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on the fit of these linen trousers from Bonobos? I think I might have a bit of pocket flare going on. Should I size up? Or something else?
Yes, looking a little tight in the hips. Same with the seat. Try one waist size bigger (thereupon taken in) or a different line of pants.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Can I get fit advice before I place my next order? I think the neck and shoulders are good. I'm thinking the chest needs to come in at least an inch and the sleeves need to come up (maybe 1/2 inch, maybe more). I'm not sure about the waist.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

mr sola
the tail of that shirt is really long!!!
reducuse the yoke by an inch
chest could come in as well

was the shirt laundered.
take a with the cuffs unbuttoned after the shirt has been washed.

I've washed it about a half dozen times so far. The problem I had with a previous shirt was that a shorter tail left the last button just at the waistband level. So by the end of the day the shirt rode up and was exposing my stomach. I guess I can see about altering the button placement.

I'll take some pictures tonight with the sleeves unbuttoned.

Mr Sola

Reaction score

mr sola
the tail of that shirt is really long!!!
reducuse the yoke by an inch
chest could come in as well

was the shirt laundered.
take a with the cuffs unbuttoned after the shirt has been washed.

Here's a picture with the cuffs unbuttoned.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired an Anthony suit by RLBL through eBay, and the structured shoulders surprised me a bit. There's quite a lot of shoulder padding and I'm not sure what to think.?

I bought an Austin a few months ago and had the same experience. They're nice suits but the shoulders definitely take a little getting used to. I asked my tailor if I should return it, but she said no. I'm passing that same advice on to you.

Slh

Reaction score
Do these folds on the sides of the chest mean the shirt is too big in the chest? Or should they be there to allow more freedom of movement?

Last edited:

Gavinband

Reaction score
Gents,

I have had a remake of my first luxire shirt. Major changes included dropping left shoulder 0.75" and right shoulder 1.00". I also had material taken in at the chest, back and front waist and 0.5" taken from the shoulders.

I was told that the arm holes would drop accordingly with the shoulders. Do the arm holes still look too high? It also looks to me like the chest is now a little too tight, maybe 0.5" or so. The back waist area still has a lot of excess material, even though a lot was already removed and I am only 2" total more on top of my max waist measurement.

All comments welcome.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member