• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

Moves

Reaction score
Ok, I took a picture of tonight's outfit. Same houndstooth sportscoat but this time instead of white with green and tan tattersal, I put on a yellow with blue graph check shirt.

So, too similar sized patterns? Not doing two checks together? Faux paux city or cool?

Thanks for the input guys, I new to mixed patterns.

Moves

WhyAlwaysMe

Reaction score
^ Start with wearing v-neck undershirts and tuck your shirt in...

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the WAYWRN thread

Harris tweed overcoat I've had since college. It's served me well on 3 continents for almost 30 years.

cold war painter

Reaction score

Ok, I took a picture of tonight's outfit. Same houndstooth sportscoat but this time instead of white with green and tan tattersal, I put on a yellow with blue graph check shirt.

So, too similar sized patterns? Not doing two checks together? Faux paux city or cool?

Thanks for the input guys, I new to mixed patterns.

Yes, for my taste the patterns are a little too similar in type and scale, although tattersalls are classic with a tweed. The effect is made a bit worse by the similarity in colouring and the fact that you have no patterns anywhere else. I think that with any brownish tweed it's difficult to go wrong with a solid light blue shirt.

I think tweed jackets go well with denim generally (much as I would love to advise you to bust out the full rig with moleskins/cords, sweater vest, tie with little pheasants on etc.) - but perhaps here the jacket is a bit too fitted against the bagginess of the jeans.

Kai, I really like that herringbone and you look very warm indeed.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kai - Good stuff and love the fact that it's 30 years old and still holding up well.

Moves

Reaction score
Yes, for my taste the patterns are a little too similar in type and scale, although tattersalls are classic with a tweed. The effect is made a bit worse by the similarity in colouring and the fact that you have no patterns anywhere else. I think that with any brownish tweed it's difficult to go wrong with a solid light blue shirt.
I think tweed jackets go well with denim generally (much as I would love to advise you to bust out the full rig with moleskins/cords, sweater vest, tie with little pheasants on etc.) - but perhaps here the jacket is a bit too fitted against the bagginess of the jeans.
Kai, I really like that herringbone and you look very warm indeed.

Thanks for your comments cold war painter. Certainly a single pattern looks good. I'm trying to pull-off patterned shirt with patterned jacket combos. I have a light-blue shirt with darker-blue + white 1/2 inch checks. I'll have to try that one. The first outfit I wore was a tan houndstooth shirt with a solid brown sweater vest.

Checks and tweed patterns are my thing right now. I have a distaste for stripes as all I see is "overweight guy trying to cover something up" (even though I could use the slimming). Although, I think big barred "college colors-type" striped ties are cool. But, I'm not ready for ties yet. My work environment is pretty casual and even wearing a sport coat is way over the top.

Will my standard brown herringbone go with any size check shirt because they are different patterns completely?

Moves

OlSarge

Reaction score
I would say 'no'. It isn't just the patterns that have to contrast but the scale as well. A Tattersall shirt goes beautifully under a windowpane coat and equally well, presuming it's a good-sized check under a guncheck. But if the patterns are too close together in size, it makes the viewer's eyes twitch--really it does!

A herringbone, on the other hand, is less limited. Because it's pattern goes in a different direction from any check, it should go with anything.

Last edited:

Moves

Reaction score
I would say 'no'. It isn't just the patterns that have to contrast but the scale as well. A Tattersall shirt goes beautifully under a windowpane coat and equally well, presuming it's a good-sized check under a guncheck. But if the patterns are too close together in size, it makes the viewer's eyes twitch--really it does!

A herringbone, on the other hand, is less limited. Because it's pattern goes in a different direction from any check, it should go with anything.

Ah, so my coat is called guncheck then instead of houndstooth.

I bought a pair of 2 color-only black and tan houndstooth pleated slacks today at the Salvation Army and yeah they have more clearly defined points.

Thanks for the advice on the herringbone. It is super thick so I'll have to wait on that one.

Moves

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads