• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

MrSmith

Reaction score
Yes, for my taste the patterns are a little too similar in type and scale, although tattersalls are classic with a tweed. The effect is made a bit worse by the similarity in colouring and the fact that you have no patterns anywhere else. I think that with any brownish tweed it's difficult to go wrong with a solid light blue shirt.
I think tweed jackets go well with denim generally (much as I would love to advise you to bust out the full rig with moleskins/cords, sweater vest, tie with little pheasants on etc.) - but perhaps here the jacket is a bit too fitted against the bagginess of the jeans.
Kai, I really like that herringbone and you look very warm indeed.

I can only agree. a solid blue or a blue with vertical stripe (soft red maybe? can't see the colours properly - pick a colour that is a minor colour from your jacket as the stripe) shirt would be better.
A nice V neck thin jumper in a solid colour too would look good if you want to make it a bit more formal. I think you have the right idea with the jeans, try smart and worn to see what a difference it makes.

I love Kai's stuff - I want that overcoat - beautiful.

I am a lion

Reaction score
If I want tweed sports jackets for around a couple hundred euros plus tailoring where should I look? I didn't see any online places with 36L.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I want tweed sports jackets for around a couple hundred euros plus tailoring where should I look? I didn't see any online places with 36L.

You can get nice vintage tweed jackets for less than that all the time on UK ebay.

OlSarge

Reaction score
36 Long? That's a tough one. Try Orvis.com or Lands End. The selection at LE isn't great but at least they'd have your size for the price you have in mind. Orvis will, too, but the price will be higher, though the selections is a tad better.

facet

Reaction score

Today is my Friday

Awesome combo.

Moves

Reaction score
Moleskin is a type of soft flannel feeling cotton fabric that is kind of a British country specialty. It's super comfortable, quite warm and tough as iron. They used to make road menders' trousers out of the stuff. Not easy to find in the U.S. but it is around. I'll be changing into mine as soon as I get done putting a coat of oil on a chest of drawers I have out in the shop.

Thanks OlSarge. I'm doing all my shopping at thrift stores and have seen cords but don't know what to look for in moleskin. Will there be a marking or do I just have to know what they look and feel like? If not, thanks for the tip (soft, flannel, thick).

On that thrifting note, I bought my first scarf today. It's navy blue on one side and red on the other. It solves the problem I always had with sportcoats, in SoCal at least, which is; it's either too hot to wear them or too cold (due to the huge neck opening). A scarf fills that up! Can't wait to rock it.

Moves

OlSarge

Reaction score
Thanks OlSarge. I'm doing all my shopping at thrift stores and have seen cords but don't know what to look for in moleskin. Will there be a marking or do I just have to know what they look and feel like? If not, thanks for the tip (soft, flannel, thick).

On that thrifting note, I bought my first scarf today. It's navy blue on one side and red on the other. It solves the problem I always had with sportcoats, in SoCal at least, which is; it's either too hot to wear them or too cold (due to the huge neck opening). A scarf fills that up! Can't wait to rock it.

Moves
Hmmm . . . I have doubts that you will find it in SoCal thrift stores but one never knows what the happy denizens will provide. But to identify moleskin? Well, the inside labels should say 100% cotton. The 'hand' will be the most luxurious flannel you ever encountered. I would say that if you find a pair of 'flannel' trousers that resemble velvet, those are the ones. Of course, I suppose you could always drive up to Lakewood and look at mine for an example.

Moves

Reaction score
Hmmm . . . I have doubts that you will find it in SoCal thrift stores but one never knows what the happy denizens will provide. But to identify moleskin? Well, the inside labels should say 100% cotton. The 'hand' will be the most luxurious flannel you ever encountered. I would say that if you find a pair of 'flannel' trousers that resemble velvet, those are the ones. Of course, I suppose you could always drive up to Lakewood and look at mine for an example.

Well, I went to another Goodwill this evening and felt all the khaki pants and one pair did feel quite magical, but alas, not my size. I don't know if they felt like velvet but definitely thick and very soft. I found another pair of Dockers there that were in-between these and a standard pair of Dockers and I got those. The best find was a pair of medium brown Rockport wingtips in pretty good shape! I'm going to take them to a cobbler and see what he can do.

Hmm... I work right next to the 91 fwy in east Anaheim and Lakewood is west for 30 minutes. I could be fun to meet for lunch in the middle if you like. The 1st So Cal Chapter Style Forum Tweed Appreciation Luncheon?
bigstar[1].gif

cold war painter

Reaction score

I can only agree. a solid blue or a blue with vertical stripe (soft red maybe? can't see the colours properly - pick a colour that is a minor colour from your jacket as the stripe) shirt would be better.
A nice V neck thin jumper in a solid colour too would look good if you want to make it a bit more formal.

I've never been a fan of vertical striped shirts with tweed jackets, the stripe always seems to say city while the tweed says country. Incoherent combination, as Sr. Corbera might have said.

I have a light grey hand framed Shetland jumper I wear a lot under my tweeds in colder weather.

Last winter I was quite comfortable outside in a tweed jacket, thin jumper and heavy wool scarf during -7 celsius weather, as long as I was not standing still for any length of time.

OlSarge has given a good description of moleskin, which is a brushed cotton much like velvet with a shorter nap.

This was the best pic I could find online just now:

fishtail-back_moleskin_trousers_navy__3.jpg

OlSarge

Reaction score
Yes, that's the stuff. Comfortable and presentable for casual restauranting but wears like iron for woodsy fun and games. Its only drawback is that it's too warm for about eight months a year in SoCal. Should be just the ticket for York or Glasgow, though.

Moves

Reaction score
I have a light grey hand framed Shetland jumper I wear a lot under my tweeds in colder weather.

Last winter I was quite comfortable outside in a tweed jacket, thin jumper and heavy wool scarf during -7 celsius weather, as long as I was not standing still for any length of time.
OlSarge has given a good description of moleskin, which is a brushed cotton much like velvet with a shorter nap.
This was the best pic I could find online just now:

I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to even know what a "jumper" is...

Yes, I can see my thick herringbone sportcoat + scarf probably getting me all the way through winter around here.

Nice pic of the moleskin. I see what you mean. There are definitely not many in a SoCal thrift store like that. I've been noticing a bunch of thick cord pants but they almost all have pleats.

OlSarge

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm too much of a noob to even know what a "jumper" is...

Yes, I can see my thick herringbone sportcoat + scarf probably getting me all the way through winter around here.

Nice pic of the moleskin. I see what you mean. There are definitely not many in a SoCal thrift store like that. I've been noticing a bunch of thick cord pants but they almost all have pleats.
Well, unless you're really young and really slim, pleated cords and tweed coats are a very good match. Of course, if you are, then you should avoid them. After all, one doesn't want to go around looking like Urkel . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads