• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
In-laws are in Memphis. Other than the Zegna it was pretty weak thrifting this trip. I did pick up a graniteware canner, which I'd been in need of.

Nice finds pejsek; I just hope none of those items were used.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Paid $4. What do these things retail for?

$400+

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A beautiful 85% wool 100 15% cahsmere saxony check ( dark khaki//black/red ) jacket by Pal Zileri sartoriale ... $100 new on sale

pejsek

Reaction score
Sometimes a little nip out to the store really pays off. Yesterday I had to run out to the store for some milk. Of course I ducked into the local thrift along the way and five minutes later was walking out with (1) Zegna for Wilkes Bashford sb jacket--brown and cream mini houndstooth with sky blue windowpane, 3 roll 2, double vents, just the slightest hint of padding at the shoulders; seems to be new, all pockets sewn shut ($11.99), (2) Brioni for Wilkes Bashford spread collar shirt--sky blue and white gingham with beaded navy blue overcheck ($7.99). Isn't it nice when someone picks out a great shirt/jacket combination for you? I did look around for the ties.
These two finds were really a reminder to me of what a nice store Wilkes Bashford is. I don't know to what extent goods are made specifically to WB specifications (the Oxxford suits and jackets are, I believe), but I can't help thinking that a Zegna jacket and Brioni shirt for, say, NM would show much less style, taste, and imagination.
Earlier in the day I had picked up a couple of pristine vintage pocket squares from Hardy Amies--one paisley, one geometric, both with hand-rolled contrasting edges ($1 each) and a vintage wool schoolboy scarf, blue with cream and red stripes, made in England for J. Press ($2.99).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
pejsek, where the hell do you live? Next door to WB?

Great finds, man.

Never question or doubt the great pejsek.

He doesn't even mention all the Kiton K-50 suits he has bought for $7.99.

But that was before prices went up
laugh.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
Now that you mention it rnoldh....Actually there is a thrift shop here where I've bought several new and close-to-new Borrelli and Fray shirts (made for the Russo Capri shop in Italy) for around $5 each. This particular charitable institution, unfortunately, has recently seen the consignment light and is now encouraging customers to consign things rather than donate them outright. A couple of weeks after this happened a whole slew of incredibly beautiful suits showed up from that same Russo Capri shirts benefactor--Kiton, Loro Piana bespoke, Zegna Napoli, etc. But instead of being priced in the old $25-$35 range they were now in the $500-$700 range. I'm not ready to go that far!
Thanks, Connemara. I live in San Francisco and the thrift store the WB stuff came from gets a lot of donations directly from the neighborhood (rather than through a central distribution center). I just got lucky.
You know, I'm considering starting a new thread in the interest of reality. I'll title it something like, The Official Thrift Store Strike-Out And Junk Thread. ("Poked around the store for 30 minutes or so, saw some worn Structure and Claiborne jackets, some well-used Skeechers, left empty-handed.") The problem with posting only the finds is that there's no consideration of the dross (which is its own fascinating subject).

pejsek

Reaction score
Unworn condition Ltd. Edition Trafalgar braces in what I believe is an old Calvin Curtis design--a sad, chained basset hound in the doghouse with the inscription, Beware. These are perhaps my favorites among the Trafalgar Ltd. Edition braces I've seen. The weaving and coloration are absolutely first rate ($3.49) Also, Andy Warhol's book Style, Style, Style, a posthumous collection of quips and aphorisms accompanied by fashion illustrations of the fifties ($1.49). Among my favorites:

I was trying to think the other day about what you do now in America if you want to be successful. Before, you were dependable and wore a good suit. Looking around, I guess that today you do all the same things but not wear a good suit.

And the inevitable:

It's better to always wear the same thing and know that people are liking you for the real you and not the you your clothes make.

Reaction score
I find that I just cannot shop at Marshalls and TJ Maxx much at all anymore...all because of the thrift store finds. Recent Chicago ventures have netted:
Paul Stuart 100% Baby Alpaca Sweater (very intricate woven braided style)
$2.50
Milano Oro 2 button dual vented suit (Super 120's Fratelli Tallia Di Delfino cloth) $6
Ermenegildo Zegna 2 button Sportcoat (Bigsby & Kruthers Super 100's-made in Italy) $5.18
Ermenegildo Zegna (at Chicago U?) 6 button chalkstripe DB jacket-90%wool, 10% cashmere $11.78
Giorgiolini of Italy Merino Wool Mock Turtleneck $1.50
Brioni Flannel Weight 2 Button Glen Plaid (red, black, grey) $18.98
Oxxford Pinstripe Onwentsia for Marshall Field's Sportcoat $3
Marz Munchen Sweater 70% Alpaca 30% Schurwolle $2.50
Zanella Grey Wool slacks $1.50
H&M Cotton and Poly blend charcoal pinstripe slacks $2.50
Massimo Cecchini dress shirt $1.50 (not familar brand to me)
Sulka french cuff dress shirt $2.50
Ralph Lauren Polo Blake shirts 5x $1.50 each
Corneliani Sweater (with "Retro Hommes" embroidery 43%cotton, 40%flax, 17%viscose) $2.50
RL Polo Houndstooth Zippered Sweater (51% Alpaca 49% Wool) $1.50
Alessandro Manzoni Couture Sportcoat (lanificio texere cloth) $4.00 I am not familiar with this brand either.
The Milano Oro brand is one I was not familiar with, but it is full of what appears to be pick stitching, even has weights inside of the dual vents to make the jacket hang properly, I presume. The Brioni had what appeared to be a red sauce stain on one leg, but before rushing to a dry cleaner, I was able to scrape the "stain" off with a fingernail. After that...mint condition once again. Every other item on the list was found in mint condition.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Things have been fairly light lately, but on a couple of visits I picked up:

Alan Paine grey lambswool v-neck sweater vest (I've actually been looking for one) ($1.50)
Hermes tie ($2.50)
leather bound copy of All the King's Men from the Southern Classics series (from which I have 5 other titles already) ($2.50)

p1010288vr8.jpg

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Things have been fairly light lately, but on a couple of visits I picked up:

Alan Paine grey lambswool v-neck sweater vest (I've actually been looking for one) ($1.50)
Hermes tie ($2.50)
leather bound copy of All the King's Men from the Southern Classics series (from which I have 5 other titles already) ($2.50)

Although you wouldn't know it from the recent movie, All the King's Men is a fantastic book. I've never heard of the Southern Classics series, though. Is it now defunct?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I've never heard of the Southern Classics series, though. Is it now defunct?

Yes. It was active during the 80s, maybe early 90s. I started seeing remaindered copies--sold packed in cardboard mailers ready to mail to subscribers--in '92. I picked up copies of Freeman's R.E. Lee and also I'll Take My Stand that way. Since then I've gotten other titles. There are maybe a dozen or so in all. They're very well done. Interestingly enough it was sponsored by Southern Living magazine.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw some AE Wilberts at Winners in Victoria, BC today for CA$130. Those are from AE's casual line, so I had no interest in them, but it's a great sign if AEs are showing up at Winners. It did make me wonder, though, how Winners' supply chain works and how they ended up out here? The tag said original retail was $300, which probably isn't that far off.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking for several months, and I guess it's about time to dip my toes in the water.

Like coachvu, I just snagged a Turnbull & Asser off eBay -- for $44. White and ivory stripe, French cuff. Maybe someone could estimate its retail price for me. I'm quite pleased with the find, especially since I'm a relative novice at both eBay and thrifting in general. I know some might not like the collar, but as a change from the usual I think it'll work.

DSC08722.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads