The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spudbunny

Spudbunny Active Member

A pair of Alden loafers, too narrow for me, but headed to Ebay. $7.99

Also, a strange case. While looking through the odd jackets, I noticed a "made in Italy" tag that was identical to the one on the my Brioni suit jacket. Then, in the inside pocket, a sizing tag that was identical to the one in my Brioni (down to the font and size). Also, another tag with the composition was identical. Other elements were also congruent: the gray herringbone wool/cashmere mix was up to Brioni standards and the jacket was fully canvassed. One thing did not fit: there was no Brioni label inside and no evidence of one having been removed.

Anyway, I assume I have a Brioni jacket for $9.99. But the lack of a label is a mystery.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

My weekend purchase, the AE Leeds:

[​IMG]

And a pleasing pairing from the sole:

[​IMG]

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

New shell Leeds for $130? Go turn yourself in for stealing those shoes.

4. kronik

kronik Senior member

A pair of Alden loafers, too narrow for me, but headed to Ebay. $7.99

Also, a strange case. While looking through the odd jackets, I noticed a "made in Italy" tag that was identical to the one on the my Brioni suit jacket. Then, in the inside pocket, a sizing tag that was identical to the one in my Brioni (down to the font and size). Also, another tag with the composition was identical. Other elements were also congruent: the gray herringbone wool/cashmere mix was up to Brioni standards and the jacket was fully canvassed. One thing did not fit: there was no Brioni label inside and no evidence of one having been removed.

Anyway, I assume I have a Brioni jacket for $9.99. But the lack of a label is a mystery.

Hey Spud.. question - where do you thrift in the DC metro area?

5. Alter

Alter Senior member

Well, I haven't been keeping up as I should. I've been really busy and all of my finds/pickups have just been chugging along as normal. Until today, that is. I was on my way to the hardware store today (to buy blades for my coping saw) and I stopped off at a thrift I've had eerie good luck at from time to time. There on the women's rack (and let this be a stern admonition to all aspiring master thrifters to shop the whole store) I spotted an interesting looking sleeve, which turned out to belong to a really cool nwot Borrelli safari jacket in 100% linen. Now, I don't know about you, but I've really needed a safari jacket ever since my vintage A&F one bit the dust. And this jacket certainly fits the bill--epaulets, large smoked mop buttons, extravagantly flapped pockets, all done up in a fairly heavy weight cream linen. $8.99. But wait, there's more! A couple of jackets down I felt something very soft. And there from the rack emerged a featherweight jacket of purist Neapolitan expression: a completely unlined jacket of steel grey and brown small herringbone cashmere marked Ciro Paone per Kiton Napoli/Louis, Boston and featuring all the details the afficianado might wish for--patch pockets, the spalla camicia, slim cut with a 2.5 button stance. I must say, this is the first Kiton jacket I've seen that really lives up to all the hype; and it too was nwot with an $8.99 price tag. Of course I scoured the rest of the store on the basic principle that, Where there's smoke there's fire! But the only other thing I turned up was a Borrelli linen bd shirt marked Borrelli Luxury Vintage ($6.99)--interesting vivid orange over-dye with some distressing; a comfortable and fun casual shirt, though it's hard to imagine the target buyer.
    Some other recent highlights: Ducker & Son bespoke brown cap-toes ($5); amazing Chester Barrie large-scale houndstooth raglan sleeve coat in a 90% wool/10% linen blend that's just perfect for San Francisco ($50 splurge); circa 6/11/75 Huntsman bespoke jacket in an amazing olive/orange/scarlet tweed plaid with matching scarlet silk lining ($7.99); circa 2/68 Norton & Sons bespoke jacket in a navy and olive check tweed with red windowpane--the Conduit St era and prior to the devouring of the famed E. Tautz ($15.99). I'm sure I'm forgetting something important (like a couple of Barbera shirts), but this will have to do for now.

Holy crap! Good thrifting.

You didn't actually mention if they fit you. If that Kiton is a 52EU, I'll give ya $10.00 for it. [​IMG]

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Holy crap! Good thrifting.

You didn't actually mention if they fit you. If that Kiton is a 52EU, I'll give ya $10.00 for it. [​IMG]

pejsek, my mentor!

$11[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kronik

kronik Senior member

Doc, .... I hate you.

That is all.

8. Spudbunny

Spudbunny Active Member

Hey Spud.. question - where do you thrift in the DC metro area?

My wife just said: "Why would you tell them?"

Hard to explain isn't it? First, the closet is full. Second, the list has a certain espirit that counsels disclosure of good places to find good stuff.

Funny you should ask about our thrifts. I was just thinking that we had settled on three places, all in Maryland.

(1) The Value Village on University Blvd. in College Park is consistently good, though lately a bit weak in the suit department. Sportcoats are a strength. Having said that about suits, I found a Paul Stuart tan spring and summer suit in mint condition there on Saturday ($30). Also, an Italian cashmere sweater that's in the steamer just now ($5.95) and a pair of J. Press cufflinks ($6.95). (Forget about the suit comment; I now remember that I got a Canali and my "ultra right" Corbin NWT there).

(2) The Goodwill in Rockville that was formerly known as Best Kept Secrets. A small place that has long dry spells but when it rains, it pours: the Brioni and Alden items mentioned above came from there plus my Brioni suit and many shirts and dress pants.

(3) Unique off Randolph Road. (They are also in Virginia where I snagged a nice Barbour shirt NWT a few months ago). Not much on the suit and odd jacket side. I did once find a 36R Canali suit NWT that did nicely on ebay. Best finds here have been my Burberry ($20) and a cashmere Armani overcoat from Saks ($40) that is perhaps too much for DC's climate.

Then there's Inga's consignment shop, http://www.ingafashiontherapist.com/. Her shop is almost all for the ladies, but I bought a pair of Tod's shoes that rank among my favorites.

Now, let's see how that sweater turned out.[​IMG]

9. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Linen pocket square from the Polo outlet store in San Marcos, Texas. Marked down to $2.49 from $60.

[​IMG]

10. morse

morse Well-Known Member

Scored a particularly nice $900 Cole-Haan car coat today for $175. I am a big fan of their outerwear, the bulk of which is considerably better than their shoes. The same coat is selling on STP and BlueFly for $400-500. For some reason, Cole-Haan uses some of the nicest fabrics in their price range, and the attention to detail is quite impeccable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The goatskin trim under the pocket flaps, on the collar, and as elbow patches is particularly nice, as is the lining.

11. kabert

kabert Senior member

My wife just said: "Why would you tell them?"

Hard to explain isn't it? First, the closet is full. Second, the list has a certain espirit that counsels disclosure of good places to find good stuff.

Funny you should ask about our thrifts. I was just thinking that we had settled on three places, all in Maryland.

(1) The Value Village on University Blvd. in College Park is consistently good, though lately a bit weak in the suit department. Sportcoats are a strength. Having said that about suits, I found a Paul Stuart tan spring and summer suit in mint condition there on Saturday ($30). Also, an Italian cashmere sweater that's in the steamer just now ($5.95) and a pair of J. Press cufflinks ($6.95). (Forget about the suit comment; I now remember that I got a Canali and my "ultra right" Corbin NWT there).

(2) The Goodwill in Rockville that was formerly known as Best Kept Secrets. A small place that has long dry spells but when it rains, it pours: the Brioni and Alden items mentioned above came from there plus my Brioni suit and many shirts and dress pants.

(3) Unique off Randolph Road. (They are also in Virginia where I snagged a nice Barbour shirt NWT a few months ago). Not much on the suit and odd jacket side. I did once find a 36R Canali suit NWT that did nicely on ebay. Best finds here have been my Burberry ($20) and a cashmere Armani overcoat from Saks ($40) that is perhaps too much for DC's climate.

Then there's Inga's consignment shop, http://www.ingafashiontherapist.com/. Her shop is almost all for the ladies, but I bought a pair of Tod's shoes that rank among my favorites.

Now, let's see how that sweater turned out.[​IMG]

All of the clothing donations my wife and I make go to Value Village, and they make rounds of my neighborhood where others surely donate some nice things. So, I'm not surprised you find nice things at VV. On Inga's, I agree she occasionally has nice things. She always seems to have a large amount of size 38 Brioni. When I was in there last weekend, she had 6 or 7 size 42 bespoke Alan Flusser blazers.... I've seen Kiton, Attolini, Oxxford, Turnbull, etc. there in the past.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Passed on two Brooks Brothers suits, both three-piece. Both were fully canvassed. Both 3-button rolled to 2.

One was a vintage charcoal gray flannel.

The other was a very cool brownish gray glen plaid, from the 'Hand Tailored' line which I have not seen. It was made in the US, and was not from the Golden Fleece line.

For myself, and to flip, I found:

Brioni shirt
    Canali shirt
    3 Zegna shirts
    CP Company shirt
    Charcoal herringbone Brooks Brothers suit
    Really neat Pringle wool tie in the 'Blackwatch' pattern that I will probably put on the forum if anyone is interested.

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Passed on two Brooks Brothers suits, both three-piece. Both were fully canvassed. Both 3-button rolled to 2.

One was a vintage charcoal gray flannel.

The other was a very cool brownish gray glen plaid, from the 'Hand Tailored' line which I have not seen. It was made in the US, and was not from the Golden Fleece line.

VM, there's an ongoing thrift exchange thread at the AAAC Trad forum that would probably eat those suits up, depending on price. Your margins might not be real high, but if you get the suits cheap you can get a pretty easy flip for a lot of 3/2 roll, dartless, pleatless stuff.

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

VM, there's an ongoing thrift exchange thread at the AAAC Trad forum that would probably eat those suits up, depending on price. Your margins might not be real high, but if you get the suits cheap you can get a pretty easy flip for a lot of 3/2 roll, dartless, pleatless stuff.

The prices on the suits were $36 for the gray, and $44 for the glen plaid.

I will probably go back to the store next week some time (this store is in one of the worst areas of the city, and not super close to my house, so I don't check there daily). Do you think there'd be enough interest on AAAC to get $50-$60 (Suit + Tax + Gas + my time) for the suits?

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I'm not sure. It depends on style, sizes and condition (I guess it always does). I think they'd pay a bit of a premium for 3-piece suits. If you know the sizes go to the thread and ask. If they meet the Trad specs (sounds like they do) I'd think you'd have interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.