• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Hey guys, I've been lurking for several months, and I guess it's about time to dip my toes in the water. Like coachvu, I just snagged a Turnbull & Asser off eBay -- for $44. White and ivory stripe, French cuff. Maybe someone could estimate its retail price for me. I'm quite pleased with the find, especially since I'm a relative novice at both eBay and thrifting in general. I know some might not like the collar, but as a change from the usual I think it'll work.
DSC08722.JPG

I sold the exact same shirt 2 years ago. T&A, exact, front buttons were all dark MOP, and it had French cuffs. I assumed it to be a formal shirt, but I did not know exactly when one would wear it. Beautiful ivory striped cotton fabric. None the less, top of the line shirt, and very interesting. If you could, please post the name of the seller, and I will look through their feedback to see if I was the one that sold them the initial shirt on ebay. With such a unique shirt, one would assume it to be a small world after all. Peace. EDIT: I see your shirt was 14.5 neck size, and I believe mine was 16.5. None the less, excellent shirt, and very interesting.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To follow up on your post, I sold the exact same shirt, size 16.5 as I suspected. I think you did well for $44 - the fabric is outstanding, and it is one of the best examples of T&A that I have seen, though the style may seem hard to wear. here is a crude picture of the one I sold 2+ years ago:

TAcollar.jpg

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the affirmation, VM.

I'd be interested to get opinions from you and others as to how I might wear this shirt. Given the collar, I'm not sure a tie is a good bet, though I suppose it could work. So, what, go tieless and unbutton the top button?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swung by the Goodwill after work today - picked up some good stuff.

- Thomas Pink shirt (blue with green check) 16.5 34/35
- Tailor and Son Sportswear sweater...gourgeous red with tan/brown argyle (Made in Italy) Anyone ever heard of this name?

- Alea white/blue check shirt (size 41)
- four cream Corneliani shirts, all NWT (size 39, but fit me)
- Edri Pisano lime green/pink dress shirt. STUNNING shirt (size 16)
- Joseph's Cloak brown with light blue stripes, french cuff (size 41)

All shirts were $4.99

- Tan 3 button wool blazer by Satoria Battisti (below the name is says Albiate -mi- Italia) Anyone heard of this name? Very high quality blazer with hand picking and gorgeous gold silk lining. $8.99

Also picked up a pair of Rogers LS 3/5a studio monitors for $3.99 a piece. Sound AMAZING. The guy obviously took great care of these. Snagged a few lps as well for .99 a piece. All VG+ to NM They were:

- Niel Merryweather, John Richardson and Boers self-titled. Awesome psych lp
- Niel Merryweather - Kryptonite
- Uriah Heep - self-titled
- Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple

Hopin for a day just as good tomorrow!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Thanks for the affirmation, VM.

I'd be interested to get opinions from you and others as to how I might wear this shirt. Given the collar, I'm not sure a tie is a good bet, though I suppose it could work. So, what, go tieless and unbutton the top button?

I assumed this shirt to be somewhat of a formal shirt, with the dark buttons, the French cuffs, and the very luxurious white and ivory wide-striped fabric. However, I do not know the rules of wearing a bowtie with a band-collared shirt.

summej2

Reaction score
That was something of a 90s fad; I had such a formal shirt myself. Mine had a small loop of fabric at the back that allowed for a bowtie to be worn. However, they were intended to be worn without a tie and buttoned at the top button.

In case anyone wants one, I'd be be happy to pass it on for the cost of shipping (mine is now replaced by a BB golden fleece with a turndown collar).

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Swung by the Goodwill after work today - picked up some good stuff.

- Thomas Pink shirt (blue with green check) 16.5 34/35
- Tailor and Son Sportswear sweater...gourgeous red with tan/brown argyle (Made in Italy) Anyone ever heard of this name?

- Alea white/blue check shirt (size 41)
- four cream Corneliani shirts, all NWT (size 39, but fit me)
- Edri Pisano lime green/pink dress shirt. STUNNING shirt (size 16)
- Joseph's Cloak brown with light blue stripes, french cuff (size 41)

All shirts were $4.99

- Tan 3 button wool blazer by Satoria Battisti (below the name is says Albiate -mi- Italia) Anyone heard of this name? Very high quality blazer with hand picking and gorgeous gold silk lining. $8.99

Also picked up a pair of Rogers LS 3/5a studio monitors for $3.99 a piece. Sound AMAZING. The guy obviously took great care of these. Snagged a few lps as well for .99 a piece. All VG+ to NM They were:

- Niel Merryweather, John Richardson and Boers self-titled. Awesome psych lp
- Niel Merryweather - Kryptonite
- Uriah Heep - self-titled
- Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple

Hopin for a day just as good tomorrow!

Good Haul Natuku,
Don't you work at Salvation Army? And now you're going by Goodwill after work. I think pejsek is finally going to have some competition!
Where do you live? I think a lot of "Thrifting" is regional. You say you bought 4 NWT Corneliani shirts for $4.99 each. I have never seen something like that in Houston, Tx. I guess items like that are donated, but they are diverted before they hit the floor.
I think you explained the situation at the SA where you work, but was it just good luck at the GW? As pejsk says and I'm sure you know, 99.9% of the items at a Thrift are generally going to be crap! And that ranges from "Desirable Crap", to the public like good condition Polo and Claiborne items, to awful crap like unuseable damaged stuff.
If I do get lucky, it's generally one item. Recently I bought a 100% Cashmere Domenico Spano MTM Blue Blazer for $11. And that took a lot of time to find. I have never gone to a thrift and found as many desirable items as you did on your GW trip.
I know that Vintage Gent has built up an extraordinary collection of great amazing Vintage items at the thrifts. But, I believe it took him many years and he has a very discerning eye! And my favorite poster and Thrifter, pejsek, has devoted a lot of time to his wonderful collection. In addition, pejsek is really a vintage/thrift expert and amazes me with his knowledge.
So my question is. Have many of you, had a real treasure haul day at a thrift with many NWT, and desirable items bought at one time? Or is a single item, after much time, a more common Thrift experience?

BTW: Good for you Nataku, and keep up your hauls!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey rnoldh, yeah - the Salvation Army I work at is about 4 miles away from the Goodwill, so I try to swing by there atleast twice a week (usually Wednesdays and Friday evenings). I live in Blaine, a suburd about 1/2 an hour noth of Minneapolis. The Goodwill I used to go to (shopped there 5 years and didn't EVER find a single piece of high-end clothing. Best thing was a NWT Prana shirt). That one closed down about a year ago and moved closer to me. They took over an abandoned Target store, and made it their new Headquarters, thus holding a lot of good stuff. Yesterday was unusual. I've found many good stuff there - one time I found 6 Corneliani shirts and 5 Bruli shirts. All from the same guy I presume as all were drycleaned and the same size, and all were from the same week, as the color on the tag were the same. I go twice a week and 99% of the time I come out emptyhanded. Winter up here in Minnesota means less donations. People want to stay in-doors....so it's logical. I've made many a good find at the Salvation Army before I worked there last summer/early fall. Since then there's been a large decline in the quality of stuff we got. I've found a NWT Henry Cotton's reversble winter coat (I LOVE this thing, even though it's a little big. It's suaded brown on the exterior and had brown/cream check pattern on the other). I've found other Alea, Abbates, Bruli, Zegna, Barneys....etc shirts there as well, but nothing really as of late. Oh well - all I can do it keep hunting. Pjsk is right - almost all of the thrift stuff is garbage. But it's like a treasure hunt - you got to dig through a lot of dirt to find the gold. It pays when you find that RLPL or Borelli shirt that fits you like a glove and was barely worn. It's all about being at the right place at the right time!
wink.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's catch, from the local Salvation Army:

- Magee Donegal tweed hacking jacket, ticket pocket, double vents. Herringbone with a maroonish windowpane. $20 equiv.

- Quite heavy grey flannel SB 3B suit, flat front trousers with jean-cut pockets. It has some odd smaller features, no labels or markings, seems to be unworn, which leads me to believe it's MTO of some shape or form. It seems good quality, and fit so well that I pulled the trigger. $20 equiv.

- Moreschi ostrich-skin belt, black, oddly enough with a gaudy Givenchy logo buckle, which will be changed. $2 equiv.

- Two ties of unknown parentage, but both appealed to me.

Will post pics as soon as they're back from dry cleaning, which in these parts will cost the same as or more than buying them.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
50% off Veteran's Day sale yesterday: picked up a vintage (I'm about 80% sure) midnight blue heavier wool (barathea? it's not tropical) tuxedo with narrow grosgrain shawl lapels. The pants could definitely fit me (they are close as is, but a bit loose) but the chest of the jacket is too big. I don't know how much too big or whether it could be altered to fit. I'll take pics later, but it might end up being better to flip it to someone who will have occasions to use it... it feels like about a 42 or so.

Also found the one thing I had hoped to find, a black/white herringbone Harris Tweed jacket in my size. $3 or so.

Passed on a H-F green lambswool plaid jacket, it just looked a bit beat.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of C&J for Gordon Scott black captoes. Almost new, once polished - looked great. $15.00 and $5.00 for the shine.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to meet up with the guy I bought my car from to do the title tranfer before he goes to visit his family on the east coast for Thanksgiving. On the way back I stopped at a thrift store I've heard about but never been to - Savers. Here's what I picked up:

Ties:
Jim Henry Inc (crazy purple tie) $2
Canali $2
Nieman Marcus $2
Jhane Barnes NWT $2

Shirts:

Save The Queen button down - AWESOME shirt! Textured pasley cuffs, random stiching $9

2 two tone Hugo Boss long sleeve knits at $6 a piece

1 BZR button down shirt for $14. Probably paid too much, but I love the fit! Anyone know about BZR?

Parke and Ronen button down $8

Mckenzie Tribe short sleeve camp shirt - $2

and one red Paul and Shark cable-knit sweater-vest.

Pretty good day. I'll definately be visiting here more often!

Will post a pic later on if people want to see stuff.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, I haven't been keeping up as I should. I've been really busy and all of my finds/pickups have just been chugging along as normal. Until today, that is. I was on my way to the hardware store today (to buy blades for my coping saw) and I stopped off at a thrift I've had eerie good luck at from time to time. There on the women's rack (and let this be a stern admonition to all aspiring master thrifters to shop the whole store) I spotted an interesting looking sleeve, which turned out to belong to a really cool nwot Borrelli safari jacket in 100% linen. Now, I don't know about you, but I've really needed a safari jacket ever since my vintage A&F one bit the dust. And this jacket certainly fits the bill--epaulets, large smoked mop buttons, extravagantly flapped pockets, all done up in a fairly heavy weight cream linen. $8.99. But wait, there's more! A couple of jackets down I felt something very soft. And there from the rack emerged a featherweight jacket of purist Neapolitan expression: a completely unlined jacket of steel grey and brown small herringbone cashmere marked Ciro Paone per Kiton Napoli/Louis, Boston and featuring all the details the afficianado might wish for--patch pockets, the spalla camicia, slim cut with a 2.5 button stance. I must say, this is the first Kiton jacket I've seen that really lives up to all the hype; and it too was nwot with an $8.99 price tag. Of course I scoured the rest of the store on the basic principle that, Where there's smoke there's fire! But the only other thing I turned up was a Borrelli linen bd shirt marked Borrelli Luxury Vintage ($6.99)--interesting vivid orange over-dye with some distressing; a comfortable and fun casual shirt, though it's hard to imagine the target buyer.
Some other recent highlights: Ducker & Son bespoke brown cap-toes ($5); amazing Chester Barrie large-scale houndstooth raglan sleeve coat in a 90% wool/10% linen blend that's just perfect for San Francisco ($50 splurge); circa 6/11/75 Huntsman bespoke jacket in an amazing olive/orange/scarlet tweed plaid with matching scarlet silk lining ($7.99); circa 2/68 Norton & Sons bespoke jacket in a navy and olive check tweed with red windowpane--the Conduit St era and prior to the devouring of the famed E. Tautz ($15.99). I'm sure I'm forgetting something important (like a couple of Barbera shirts), but this will have to do for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads