The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

As for the T&A shirts - not my size, figured such nice shirts were meant to be worn and enjoyed.

Or flipped on eBay.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Or flipped on eBay.

I thought about it - but going by the cuffs and the fabrics alone wasn't enough for me. If they would have had tags and I knew for sure they were T&A, I would have definitely gone for it.

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Those sound like very nice and interesting shirts, VersaceMan. Doesn't sound quite like T&A; more like perhaps some Neapolitan reinterpretation of T&A (which could be even better). I've never seen T&A use extra thick Borrelli-type buttons; also, I've never seen a T&A bespoke shirt that didn't have a T&A label somewhere--not so modest that way. But I applaud you on your thrifting restraint. I also believe that there's some good karma attached to leaving something in the thrift for others. I'm not against people buying from the thrifts and selling at a profit on ebay, but I really hate the guys who just swoop in and scoop up everything that looks half-way promising (like the blondys crew). I've left great things on the rack and I'm sure I've reaped the benefits on other days.
    Anyway, here are some pictures of the A&F sheepskin shearling coat:

[​IMG]

And here's a close-up of the bone button with the collar turned up to show the tab which allows the coat to be be fastened at the throat:

[​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

learning to hate pejsek is the greatest love of all

5. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

learning to hate pejsek is the greatest love of all

Thank you. I take that as quite the compliment; my karma is adding up!

6. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I remembered what I forgot from my mega-post above. Not technically a thrift find, but as cheap as one.

Chestnut wingtips by a Florentine firm called Calzoria (or something like that) Harris, at a bumblefuck county Marshall's. (I suppose it could be one of those made-up brands, but they don't usually sell shoes this nice.) By my experienced but amateur estimation, these shoes are pretty nice. The leather quality is quite good, about on par with Bruno Magli or so, but construction seems much better. Oddly, they seem to be both Goodyear-welted and blake-stitched. (The stitching on the outside goes through the sole, and there is also stitching on the inside of the upper that is not visible underneath.)

I don't recall ever reading anything about this brand here, or having seen them before, but they're nice shoes. They're worth at least 30x what I paid, which was $9.99. And I didn't already have any chestnut wingtips, so...

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I remembered what I forgot from my mega-post above. Not technically a thrift find, but as cheap as one.

Chestnut wingtips by a Florentine firm called Calzoria (or something like that) Harris, at a bumblefuck county Marshall's. (I suppose it could be one of those made-up brands, but they don't usually sell shoes this nice.) By my experienced but amateur estimation, these shoes are pretty nice. The leather quality is quite good, about on par with Bruno Magli or so, but construction seems much better. Oddly, they seem to be both Goodyear-welted and blake-stitched. (The stitching on the outside goes through the sole, and there is also stitching on the inside of the upper that is not visible underneath.)

I don't recall ever reading anything about this brand here, or having seen them before, but they're nice shoes. They're worth at least 30x what I paid, which was $9.99. And I didn't already have any chestnut wingtips, so...

Those are very nice, high end shoes, sold by top retailers. I have a pair - they are beautiful. Retail price on Harris shoes is $500-$600, I believe. Search the forums, there have been a few posts on these shoes.

If they had any other pairs, I would go back and pick them up to flip.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^ Amazing coat, pejsek!

I picked this up last week while out of town visiting the in-laws, a woven blue Zegna Napoli Couture XXX. The most interesting feature are the single link cuffs (Kabbaz would be proud). This is after hanging to dry, but before ironing:

[​IMG]

Paid $4. What do these things retail for?

9. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Passed on a pair of J&M Aristocrat 'Hand-Mades' with the shovel sole, and the hand-written sizing and last info.

Blah blah blah, blah blah blaaah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah bllllah, blah bhal-blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah, blah blah (blah blahbity blah) blah blah, blaher than blah. Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah -- blah -- blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah.

Passed...on...J&M Handmades....[​IMG]

10. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Have a business school, black tie optional event tonight, but was thinking of going with a blue suit because I didn't feel like wearing my wing-collar shirt with my notch-lapel tux.

However, was just out running errands and decided to stop at my favorite consignment shop on the off-chance they would have something better. Tried on the one non-wing collar tux shirt on the rack - it was my neck size (16) but probably a 33 sleeve (way too short).

Picked up a tie and was at the register when I noticed a mannequin wearing a regular collar tux shirt and jacket. I asked the saleslady if she could check the size of that shirt and sure enough it was a 16/36. The shirt is by Ike Behar for Neiman Marcus with french cuffs and it fits perfectly!

Marked price was $12.50, but everything at the store is 20% off today through Sunday, so total was $10 which I paid for using credit I have from consigning other items.

End result is, I will definitely be breaking out the tux for tonight's reception!

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

^ Amazing coat, pejsek!

I picked this up last week while out of town visiting the in-laws, a woven blue Zegna Napoli Couture XXX. The most interesting feature are the single link cuffs (Kabbaz would be proud). This is after hanging to dry, but before ironing:

[​IMG]

Paid $4. What do these things retail for?

$3.79

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

$3.79

[​IMG]

13. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

Luciano Barbera Cashmere sport coat for $12

14. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Black Brioni 4x2 blazer. [​IMG] Working buttons and all that jazz... $10

15. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

That's a great shirt, Alan. Where do the in-laws live? Is this the sort of hospitality they routinely extend to out-of-town thrifters?
    It's perhaps been a little too sunny here for people to really hunker down and do some Fall closet cleaning, but still a few gems have managed to slip through: nicely patinated (take that, Carey!) dark brown Weston penny loafers ($7.49); absolutely pristine Gravati for Wilkes Bashford (Wilson & Dean) chestnut split-toe with an interesting lacing design--the sort of wide straps you typically see on ghillie brogues but with a tongue underneath--a great country look and among the nicest blake-stitched shoes I've seen ($12.49); 2 pair Thurston braces ($2); Tommy Nutter bespoke classic sb blue flannel blazer, center vent and brass buttons ($14.50). As you see, prices are going up, but I will make my peace with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.