• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicthrifter

Reaction score
CL score today: 1st edition (1958/1959) Herman Miller Eames Aluminum Group Executive Lounge Chair. @impuntura @330CK any recs on cleaning it up? Upholstery is Naugahyde and a little grimy.
Wow!! Are you keeping that? I would. That is totally a museum piece, in fact I saw a pair in a museum in Michigan last year.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
CL score today: 1st edition (1958/1959) Herman Miller Eames Aluminum Group Executive Lounge Chair. @impuntura @330CK any recs on cleaning it up? Upholstery is Naugahyde and a little grimy.

View attachment 2164351
View attachment 2164353

dish soap & water usually do the trick for me

here’s the company’s guide but not sure if things have changed over the years:

I would leave the aluminum as-is but if you really want to shine it up, I use mothers polish. a true mirror finish takes some skill and experience so I definitely wouldn’t touch it if it’s your first time. (twss)

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Are you keeping that? I would. That is totally a museum piece, in fact I saw a pair in a museum in Michigan last year.

For now, I’ll keep it. It needs a little tlc but when I finally get my mcm office all together, it’ll look dynamite.

dish soap & water usually do the trick for me

here’s the company’s guide but not sure if things have changed over the years:

I would leave the aluminum as-is but if you really want to shine it up, I use mothers polish. a true mirror finish takes some skill and experience so I definitely wouldn’t touch it if it’s your first time. (twss)
yeah, I’m going to leave the aluminum as is. I think the original aluminum office chairs had a matte finish.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does yours recline?.
I think the first model didn't.
I sold mine and regretted it.

It tilts and swivels although not smoothly. Will have to investigate whether just needs adjustment or have replace tilt mechanism. I’m 99% sure first model based on base pattern and “patent pending” on frame. Mine is the same as this one minus the headrest.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was about to leave with just the Topo boots, and then I saw a volunteer rolling a rack of coats out.

Fuego…

IMG_6212.jpeg

Last edited:

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2164351
View attachment 2164353
Love it. Our old local community college somehow had lots of these (real HM tags ..) in their conference rooms at least up until the early aughts. Also wondered where they would go when they day came to remodel ...

RFHansen

Reaction score
After picking up a rather nice vintage blue flannel six-by-two sport coat, I am realising that I am now old enough to wear double breasted jackets.

This has made me bitterly regret selling an astounding 1960s bespoke grey flannel suit that fit like it was made for me, made by a legendary Danish tailor who catered to the rich & famous. In terms of quality it was unlike anything I have ever seen, up there with the very best British or Italian houses. I sold it in my early days of sartorial awakening because I felt weird wearing the DB jacket. I would have loved rocking it now.

It also made me think: I told you mine – what is your biggest regret in terms of selling a thrifted item that you should have kept?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads