• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll wade into the vinyl debate...

As mentioned before; the stereo system you are using is very important. It is the limiting factor 99% of the time. It doesn't matter if you have the perfect turntable and flawless vinyl, if your amp or speakers are weak, everything will sound like crap. Once the signal gets passed through a mixer and amp, and speakers; it isn't clean at all... That's why some people run tube amps and spend tens of thousands on speakers.

The biggest reason people are getting into vinyl is to get back to an earlier time; when music was not so easily accessible and was appreciated more. They like deciding on an album to get, getting a physical item, dedicating time to listen, and looking at the cover art while the music plays. Today music has become cheap and disposable. It's all files on a disk, sitting beside some word docs and spreadsheet files. Vinyl is the opposite of that, going back to an earlier time.

Well said.

Last edited:

impuntura

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took a trip to Missouri
Mainline NWT Varvatos 100% linen

Filson shooting shirt

Beretta fleece made in Italy

Ray ban, Versace

Brioni 80% mohair 20% wool

dukedishin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a friend who's been releasing music since 1981, and his assertion is that the warm hum you hear when playing vinyl is nothing but distortion, and not at all what the artist intended you to hear. The majority of his musician friends agree.

Just popping in here to clarify that statement...if you're hearing a hum during the record, it's not intended and there is something wrong with your equipment.

However, many enthusiasts refer to the 'warmth' of vinyl, in this case they're talking about harmonic distortion imparted by the very imperfect medium. It does have a sound, and it is by definition distortion, but it is nowhere near as obvious as a hum.

I may have misunderstood what you meant, and if I did I apologize.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll wade into the vinyl debate...

As mentioned before; the stereo system you are using is very important. It is the limiting factor 99% of the time. It doesn't matter if you have the perfect turntable and flawless vinyl, if your amp or speakers are weak, everything will sound like crap. Once the signal gets passed through a mixer and amp, and speakers; it isn't clean at all... That's why some people run tube amps and spend tens of thousands on speakers.

The biggest reason people are getting into vinyl is to get back to an earlier time; when music was not so easily accessible and was appreciated more. They like deciding on an album to get, getting a physical item, dedicating time to listen, and looking at the cover art while the music plays. Today music has become cheap and disposable. It's all files on a disk, sitting beside some word docs and spreadsheet files. Vinyl is the opposite of that, going back to an earlier time.

My friend Kenny (who was also my best man) and I used to have long philosophical discussions while working in a professional photo lab "back in the day" (yes, we used to process film, imagine that!). He used to rail about the lessening quality of music, and was adamant that the MP3 format was ruining the music industry. He also would rail against people who would play albums on shuffle, even when listening to the CD. That's part of what drew me back to vinyl: you pretty much have to play the album from start to finish (or one side, at least). The artist intended it that way: you start with song #1 and play the album through to the end so you'd get the full experience. This led to him naming his latest solo studio album "Shuffle", and not putting the songs in any particular order, as a statement of sorts.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kennyschick

futuremyth

Reaction score
Hey LA crew:

I'll be in your fine city Jan. 27th through Feb. 1 checking out the Riot LA comedy festival. I won't have that much time to hit the thrifts, or luggage space to bring stuff home, but nevertheless if you want to hit a couple stores and/or grab a pint, feel free to send a PM.

On the off chance anyone else is attending, let's hang out for sure.

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys..

Now for yesterdays finds

Fodder, but the Talbott is official regimental horses guard limited for Bel Air Country club members (@vexco I'm coppin all country club stuff now haha) and Faconnable is Wool/silk 50/50

Brioni, Cucinelli, Skeet x2

AE Sanfords, John Varvatos Mainline chukka boots, Prada sneakers that look way more busted in this photo then they are

AE Kirkwoods(?) there like fake Sperrys, Then the following shoes I just picked up from the leather guy yesterday and never posted, Florsheim Barlettas (?) 100% Snake Skin, AE Sanfords

Barely worn AE Fifth Avenues, AE Brogued Wholecuts, AE Chukkas, and I think those are AE Clifton or something in the back

Back to yesterdays finds

Not really my thing but for a buck sure why not, Oakleys

However these are ******* sick and I had no clue they even existed and for a buck, I will gladly relieve your inventory of them.

Vtg. Handmade in Japan.

Dope handmade Shearling by Knight Tailors Ltd.

Older Belvest Wool/Cash blazer

Sick older Belvest Navy Tweed Fleck blazer w/ Patch pockets

Zegna basic solid Navy blazer with silver buttons

Ferragamo blazer w/ Ferragamo metal engraved buttons by Catarelli

Very recent Armani Collezioni Italy Navy pinstripe suit

Recent Zegna 15milmil15 Gray w/ blue pinstripes suit

Crazy piece, has a silk scarf braided throughout the blazer, inside and out.

And those were my three stops yesterday...

Last edited:

noob15

Reaction score
@Jompso

Those AE chukkas look like they might be an 11?

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend Kenny (who was also my best man) and I used to have long philosophical discussions while working in a professional photo lab "back in the day" (yes, we used to process film, imagine that!). He used to rail about the lessening quality of music, and was adamant that the MP3 format was ruining the music industry. He also would rail against people who would play albums on shuffle, even when listening to the CD. That's part of what drew me back to vinyl: you pretty much have to play the album from start to finish (or one side, at least). The artist intended it that way: you start with song #1 and play the album through to the end so you'd get the full experience. This led to him naming his latest solo studio album "Shuffle", and not putting the songs in any particular order, as a statement of sorts.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/kennyschick
<sigh> the good ol days of napster.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent Zegna 15milmil15 Gray w/ blue pinstripes suit

Now, that I actually thrifted one of these 15Milmil15 suits, I want one in my size so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads