• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Patrick. I had read, somewhere, that there would be problems with whatever US body manages the export of footstuffs if an attempt was made to send them to the UK. It's good to know they are available.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have the urge to drink a bottle of it and induce vomiting to see what happens. Could be funny.
As an undergrad, I understand this desire.

Really elementary question for this thread: do I need anything in a really basic shoecare kit besides cleaner/conditioner, neutral cream polish, a few tins of wax polish, and the brushes and cloths to apply them?

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score

Really elementary question for this thread: do I need anything in a really basic shoecare kit besides cleaner/conditioner, neutral cream polish, a few tins of wax polish, and the brushes and cloths to apply them?

More than sufficient.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Scotch Whiskey.

benhour

Reaction score
you are in the good way!! just remember diferent brush for diferent color of shoes!!(black-brown-neutral)
25 layers of wax. You must be joking.
yes this is too much wax!! generally you ll need about 4-6 leyers on average quality leather !
Scotch Whiskey.
macallan 1946 would be a nice one i think!! hahahah
shog[1].gif

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. I don't think I have to worry about my roommates using my shoe polish, but the Scotch wouldn't be safe.
smile.gif

Busa

Reaction score
What is the absolute best leather insole to put in good shoes? Or at least top 3 if there is no discernible difference? My AE's come with good bits as is, but my RM Williams have that annoying line across the heel transition that I just can't live with- any suggestions?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my Tumblr.

I have been wanting to test Collonil Diamant shoe cream after reading about them on Men's Ex ultimate shoe care magazine. It was touted as the best conditioning cream out of all shoe creams, especially for the suppleness and luster after application. But there's no vendor that carries Collonil Diamant in the US except some random eBay sellers, until I found out about Collonil 1909. Immediately I bought three cans of the Diamant and a goat hair brush.

Initial thought:
  • Goat hair brush is significantly more supple than anything horse hair brushes. I am now going to retire all horse hair brushes as dusting brushes and buy two more goat hair brushes as my buffing brush. The magnitude of difference is as big as feeling 120 grit sandpaper vs. 600 grit sandpaper.
  • Diamant smells very different, not as comforting as Saphir shoe creams or renovateurs, but more masculine. I am not a perfumer by the way. Diamant is also more gooey/solid compare to the very liquid renovatuer or somewhat gel like Saphir M'dor shoe creams.

Victim tonight is Saint Crispin's funky long wing tip oxford that I acquired from another forum member to try out my Saphir sizing.

This is right after one quick pass of Renomat and two passes of acetone. I could probably more more passes of acetone. No, Renomat doesn't clean anywhere as well as acetone or wax strippers.

Now coated both shoes with generous doses of conditioners. Left shoes was coated using Collonil Diamant. Right shoes coated with Saphir Renovateur.

After 15 mins and some brushing using horse hair brush.

It might not look that different in the pictures but there is significant difference between the results. Shoe applied with Collonil Diamant does feel much more moist, very so slightly oily, and with deep luster that I've failed to capture. Shoe applied with Saphir Renovateur appears to be shiny, polished, conditioned but yet slightly dry. It's probably like facial care products; there are thicker creams that conditions better and there are thin and waterly creams that slightly conditions but does not leave a greasy touch.

I still have one and half cans of Renovatuer but I am now a convert to Collonil Diamant for conditioner. But I am still sticking to Saphir M'dor for shoe creams.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

From my Tumblr.

I still have one and half cans of Renovatuer but I am now a convert to Collonil Diamant for conditioner.  But I am still sticking to Saphir M'dor for shoe creams.

Good to see another convert....:slayer:
Diamant is good stuff, its' pretty much the only stuff I use now for regular shoe conditioning. I scoop them up with my bare fingers and rub them into the leather. They seem to work well for porous leather like my llama-skin shoes.

benhour

Reaction score
It might not look that different in the pictures but there is significant difference between the results. Shoe applied with Collonil Diamant does feel much more moist, very so slightly oily, and with deep luster that I've failed to capture. Shoe applied with Saphir Renovateur appears to be shiny, polished, conditioned but yet slightly dry. It's probably like facial care products; there are thicker creams that conditions better and there are thin and waterly creams that slightly conditions but does not leave a greasy touch.
Chogall i think you know that you are comparing 2 completely different products?

the Diamant product is a neutral shoe cream polish when Renovateur is a conditioner with cleaning properties!! you can see that in action by applying both products with cotton cloth and after application looking at the surface of the cloth!
the Diamant by its definition (as a creme de lux) stays at the surface and make the surface of the shoe look really nice!! the renovateur on the other hand is getting deapply in the leather nourishing and conditioning it( because renovauter contains water makes the surface after evaporation looks slightly dry,and thats why is recommended to brush after about 3-5 minutes and then apply a cream polish! 15 minutes is extremely long time at my opinion ,waxes has already solidified and it is really hard to raise a dicent shine)

http://www.collonil.com/en/1909-leather-cream.html this is the nourishing-cleaning cream of collonil for hi quality leathers! and for its perpuse is a really great stuff!!

i am using both products for long time , for me the best way is combining 1909leather cream and renovateur when you want a deap nourishing and conditioning!!

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benhour, what's the difference between the Collonil Diamant cream and the the 1909 Supreme Creme de Luxe, apart from the price? I have been using the 1909 Supreme Creme de Luxe and think its excellent. Also, it has very little smell. I haven't used the Diamant cream. Any thoughts you may have on the differences between these two products would be welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads